Take the Starforce Challenge

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 10 Dec 2005, 03:10

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1134181145

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 10 Dec 2005, 03:10

That's a fantastic idea by them, I hope plenty of people take the challenge. I had no problems with the software from Prince of Persia.

Robenhagen
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Robenhagen » 10 Dec 2005, 09:27

I've had no problems with SF either, but hopefully this will reduce the level of the hate-campaign a bit. Afterall, if no one can produce any problems, there most likely aren't any :-)
I was lookin’ back to see if you were lookin’ back at me to see me lookin’ back at you.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 10 Dec 2005, 10:34

When I click on the links, nothing happens. :|

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Dec 2005, 12:13

Something sticks under this. Arent the SF verson in HV different from this one? Arent there several different SF versions?

I'll install HV, but if the program razez my PC after uninstalling HV etc the word "Ragnarok" will have a new horrific meaning.

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 10 Dec 2005, 12:20

"If only we could find out whether the beta testers are experiencing problems with SF… "

Again, SF used in the beta is not the Starforce we'll have in the game. There are no cds, so no cd checks, which is the main problem with this protection. We'll have to wait and see what happens when we buy the game.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 10 Dec 2005, 16:17

Bastila is no longer using her Battle Meditation against us! The tide has turned! The Sith fleet is in disarray! Now it's our chance - hit that StarForce with everything we've got!

...Perhaps that was too early.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 10 Dec 2005, 19:49

Wow! This is a good one!

I'm really curious if anyone will manage to kill his machine with StarForce. I, personally, have not yet had any problems with this protection system... although I don't like it, digging itself as deep into my system as it is said it does.
What the #$*! do we know?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 11 Dec 2005, 06:11

Maybe StarForce would be taken more seriously if they offered a more substantial amount … let's say at least $10,000 … but of course that would amount would offer reasonable compensation to people who've had their computers damaged to actually take the time and effort to make the trip.

SF knows exactly what they are doing … offering such a paltry monetary amount, knowing full well that no one can make that trip (even if SF paid the air fare & two days lodging) without losing money.

The crummy $1,000 wouldn't even pay for someone's damaged comuuter so their outrageous offer is just … bullsht!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 11 Dec 2005, 08:33

Come on hodegpodge. You should know enough about computers to know that no matter how malicious a piece of software is it can't possibly destroy a computer and for a piece of software to even wipe a hard drive it has to be consciously malicious. Staforce is not that. the ABSOLUTE worst that could happen is some driver conflicts, which can be fixed for MUCH less than $1000. Like 10 minutes to find a starforce uninstall would be about all it would cost.

$1000 is more than adequate and anyone who doesn't take the test but maintains that starforce will destroy their computer is sticking their head in the sand as far as I'm concerned.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 11 Dec 2005, 17:44

If the pc has been "destroyed", how could one reproduce the crash? ^^

And once a pc has been destroyed who can tell why? (this applies to both those who tells it's starforce and those who tell it's impossible)

BTW, most complaints about copy protections (not only starforce) is that they slowly damage cd drives. I bought a game last week, it has a cd protection on cd1. That protected cd is vibrating a lot into the drive. I had it exchanged and the new one vibrates too, and still only on the protected cd. No doubt the problem is related to both the cd protection and its manufacturing, and no doubt such vibrations can damage my pc.

It is not software related, there is more in cd protection than software.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Marelt Ekiran
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Marelt Ekiran » 11 Dec 2005, 19:14

I don't really see how that happens. Starforce and other protection programs are software and do not change the physical properties of a CD. If the drive actually has physical trouble with the CD, then this should be unrelated to what is written on them.

I've had the vibrating problem occasionally as well, but that also happens on CD's without any protection on them.

And I don't think there has ever been a case of a piece of software (even the most malicious virus) reducing a computer to a physical heap of ashes. Even if a malicious virus were to wipe off all the software... a video card is still a video card, RAM is still RAM and the case won't have any scratches either.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 11 Dec 2005, 20:21

You can continue sticking your head in the sand, Marelt Ekiran … but the fact still remains that StarForce DOES cause damage to both software & hardware … and these reports are not just from "pirates" & "hackers".

Read again the article posted by Tom's Hardware Guide:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/01/the_w ... index.html

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 11 Dec 2005, 20:31

How come whenever I hit "Back" on my browser, my post is duplicated?
Edited on Sun, Dec 11 2005, 13:32 by HodgePodge

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 11 Dec 2005, 21:02

double posting also occurs if you refresh. just don't do it.

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 12 Dec 2005, 00:11

Hehehe, go Starforce. Maybe all the anti-SF people should take the Randi challenge for 1 million dollars: http://www.randi.org/

That should be sufficient motivation...

madcat_lives
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby madcat_lives » 12 Dec 2005, 00:32

Its funny, your computer is worth more then $1k so why would I want to lose my computer and take time getting its repaired and time without my computer.
Let them think they are winning, when they find out they are losing, its too late.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 12 Dec 2005, 05:37

I can't wait until this game comes out and there are minimal to no reports of any Starforce problems. Guaranteed the "haters" who think SF is the work of the Devil will be out the very next day picking up their copy of Heroes 5.

Lartamas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lartamas » 12 Dec 2005, 21:26

Starforce try's, but fails horribly to do a very good job of trying to make themselves look good. This so called contest is nothing more but an attempt to again (TRY) being the key word here, to make others think they are innocent. The fact is that they have unrealistic rules and terms that leave them a back door out so that nothing with this SO called contest is realistic. It is so STUPID to even call it a contest but again we have to look at the source its coming from.

If any of you have read the article they put out against Toms hardware then you already know that these Starforce guys have no scruples or sense of decency about them. They have even masqueraded themselves as being gamers on certain forum on Ubisoft pretending to back up their software saying they have had no problems, but then when a few wise folks called them out they addmitted to being Starforce employees.

So do any of us trust them? Hell NO! They only insult the gaming community that supports Ubisoft with our $$ turning many away from ever buying a Ubisoft title with Starforce on it again. Some customers have even stated they will wait for a long awaited title to be cracked or hacked or whatever and get it illegally. So the best thing Starforce has done for Ubisoft and other game publishers is lost them business.

I respect the russian people but I don;t trust this so called Russian based company no matter what they try to do now to dig themselves out of the hole they created.

I urge all of you to write Ubisoft tech. flood them with emails and phone calls. Then again if you all want to see Ubisoft go by the wayside and fail, do nothing because they have set their own fate and care nothing about what their customers have expierenced.

But again we have the duty to let them know our experience so Ubisoft can make their own call on all of this stupidity that Starforce is creating.

sisko
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sisko » 13 Dec 2005, 00:01

The problem is, if it was any other game i wouldn't buy it because of this ****ty software. But it's Heroes 5, and it looks so appetizing. I want to have it.

Return to “News”