Hammer & Sickle Gets Hammered

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 09 Dec 2005, 20:42

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1134158732

admira99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby admira99 » 09 Dec 2005, 20:42

I don't understand. Why Ubi has to stay with their opinion about using starforce for HV. I mean, Yes piracy should be prevented but using a protection that will lower the user experience (even for 1% people experience the problems, if you want to consider 1 million ppl will buy the game means 10,000 ppl is still a significant number) is not the best way to prevent piracy.

I mean there are many other ways to prevent piracy without using a dangerous software protection. Blizzard for example, using an online service with features such as: Rank game, Online tourney, international acknowledgment for 'good' player (this feature of course supported by many fan sites. But looking at CH and other Heroes fan sites, they are more than enough). This way even when the piracy version around ppl will still buy the original games because of the service its offered that absolutely will not be included in piracy version. I found the piracy version of Warcraft III the second day after its release date but guess what? the original ones was sold out in all game stores (at least in my region).
Edited on Fri, Dec 09 2005, 13:48 by admira99

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 09 Dec 2005, 21:36

It seems Ubi has decided to take a calculated risk. Yes, the use of StarForce in Heroes 5 will probably cause the loss of some potential customers; the question is whether this loss will be compensated by the game's being copy protected. Ubi has obviously decided to take that chance.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Dec 2005, 23:57

Oh please, people who aren't going to buy the game … AREN'T GOING TO BUY THE GAME!

On the other hand, people who were ready & willing to buy the game aren't going to buy the game because of StarForce. UbiSoft/Nival will not only lose money but have three (count 'em 3) SF losers … King Kong, Hammer & Sickle & Heroes V.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 10 Dec 2005, 01:02

if this continues I'll have to cancel my pre-order. which sucks bigtime. I admit: I rarely play and even less rarely buy pc games. But I bought heroes 3 and 4. I want to buy H5, but not at the cost of my hard drive.

sure they want to branch out to new fans (COSTUMERS) but devoted fans would buy the game. I guess all companies need to make profits, but I'd like it if the consumer was taken consideration of somewhere in the equation.

tetsumonkai
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby tetsumonkai » 10 Dec 2005, 01:47

They should do like blizzard, add so many good online advantages in the retail version that you dont want a hacked game. the game will sell very good then.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 10 Dec 2005, 10:31

I always prefer to buy a game rather than get it some other way. But I can't chance screwing up my computer. :(

It reminds me of the recent lawsuit against Sony, for wanting to stop pirating of music. They released some CDs that basically used malware to bury a program on your system drive that was invisible to people like me, but gave hackers a way to break into your system.

All those artist CDs have supposedly been recalled due to the lawsuit, but you never know because the program hides itself.

All this *anti* software is a big dissappointment to those of us who do spend our hard earned money to get what we want.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Dec 2005, 12:23

Seems for UBI and Nival that those 1%/10.000 buyers are expendable, if you get my meaning.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 11 Dec 2005, 14:25

@ Tetsumonkai: Sadly Heroes V isn't anything like WoW or Diablo which is suitable for online gaming. Heroes is an old games of patience, strategy and fun. Moreover, the hotseat featue greatly decreases the numbers of people to play online.

@HodgePodge: It's either copy-protected Heroes that mostly damages you PC or less protected one but easily playable and less frustration. We have to understand that comptuer has PLENTY of features other than just playing games. If a (usually considered) less prioritised software capable of 'destroying' a whole PC, who would risk buying it. There's plenty of people who uses computer for other stuff and logically wouldn't risk it with one game. Anyhow, it will still be cracked, only time will tell when. On the other hand, if the company will focus on the interests and the convienience of the fans, they may actually gain profits. I'm sure they've put a lot of effort into the game, so if it's really great many loyal fans will still buy the original game. So, I'm on HP side.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Return to “News”