Heroes V for $19.99

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 04 Dec 2005, 15:10

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1133705446

evilp
Boy Scout
Boy Scout

Unread postby evilp » 04 Dec 2005, 15:10

$19.99...wow..

Daystar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Daystar » 04 Dec 2005, 16:24

bother. it's comming out a week after my birthday. oh well, i'll just ask for 20 bucks instead of the game so i can get it myself

Evenshade
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Evenshade » 04 Dec 2005, 16:46

Yeah, bother; it's coming out not long after my birthday, too. Oh well. Delayed birthday present, I suppose...

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 04 Dec 2005, 19:38

I have it preordered. for 400+ seks. that's somewhere around 40 USD. will it be 20 USD (or equivalent) in Europe as well? or will I as a European gamer get screwed when it comes to PC games as well?

the starforce issue made me skeptic but man. 20 bucks? they should release it without starforce, who the hell downloads a 20 dollar game? add in a nice cd-key system for online play and everything should be set.

either way: I hope this game has a similar system to that of Starcraft with its Spawn system. having one copy should be enough for LAN if it's enough for hotseat, don't you think?

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 04 Dec 2005, 20:32

The German Amazon gives me € 47,90...
What the #$*! do we know?

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby socketboy » 04 Dec 2005, 21:14

I would think it is a mistake, but if not, that is a great price

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Dec 2005, 02:20

If it is an error, does anyone know if Amazon/Target is forced by law to honor this offer to anyone who places an order?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 05 Dec 2005, 02:41

Ah ha, contract law 101 to the rescue! Short answer - no, they don't have to sell at that price.

A displayed shop price is an "invitation to treat" which is not binding on the offeror. The formal contractual process when buying is shop - invitation, purchaser - offer to buy, seller - acceptance. That equals a contract. See the wikipedia article on invitation to treat for more info... I wrote most of it:)

(note, there may be false and misleading advertising laws which complicate this, but they probably won't force the company to sell at that price)

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 05 Dec 2005, 03:14

Wait, just to confirm what's going on here - you can't actually give them money yet, can you? That page is just a placeholder which will become active when the game's released? Because if you can pay money to pre-order it at $20 then you do have a legally enforceable contract. If that's what's happening then go and buy, buy, buy!!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Dec 2005, 06:10

Preorder? In stock? I've tried about everything and have come to the conclusion that there is no sure way of getting a game ASAP. When I preordered Heroes IV from 3DO, I did not receive my game for two weeks after it hit the store shelves. Why? They forgot to fill the Fed Ex shipments until they had gotten everything to retail. So I paid an extra $10 for the privilege of getting the game late. I had preordered Heroes III through my local SW store and when I went to pick up my copy, I was told that they had not ordered enough copies to cover all the preorders and so I would have to wait a week. I have also discovered that Amazon has an unexpected definition of 'next' day. Grrrr.

As to the $20 price, didn't we hear that earlier? Could be that Target got that same press notice and has not yet corrected the price. Or maybe they got a special distribution deal. However, Heroes V is not listed at the target.com online store, even though there are other preorders.

BTW: I noticed that Chronicles is available on Amazon for $3.
Edited on Sun, Dec 04 2005, 23:36 by charleswatkins
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

bogyvaly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bogyvaly » 05 Dec 2005, 12:33

About Angelspit words: "If it is an error, does anyone know if Amazon/Target is forced by law to honor this offer to anyone who places an order?"

There is no law to force them to honnor this offer, if it is wrong. They will be forced to offer you two choices: to pay extra to get your game or to refund.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 05 Dec 2005, 15:20

> the starforce issue made me skeptic but man. 20 bucks? they should release it without starforce, who the hell downloads a 20 dollar game?

Russians.

sumalmamus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sumalmamus » 05 Dec 2005, 17:16

I pre-order it from Target on Amazon.com. Amazon is the only other one listing it on their website but for $44USD and they are not taking pre-orders as yet. My understanding of amazon policy is they do not allow seller to offer pre-orders without guaranteeing fulfillment, but the money is not charged to you until it ships. a win-win deal, but I don't think it is cancellable once made.

sumalmamus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sumalmamus » 05 Dec 2005, 17:20

I went and checked. Actually you can pre-order from amazon.com also but it is at the $44.99 price. The shipping date listed is March 1 release date February 27

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Dec 2005, 17:26

The game is listed at $49.99 at EBGames and GameStop. That's a huge gap with the $19.99 tag.
Edited on Mon, Dec 05 2005, 10:27 by Angelspit
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 05 Dec 2005, 17:34

20€ is almost confirmed for the spanish market, though it could be different for other countries.

vissai
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vissai » 05 Dec 2005, 20:35

Just a quick note for the 20/40USD price: as I remember, here in Hungary HeroesIV cost 12000HUF (maybe 14k, it was a long time ago), and that is closer to 60USD than to 50. 40USD is still a very fine price for me.
Time and dragons fly.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 05 Dec 2005, 20:46

Unfortunately, they can't ship the thing to Germany :(

This is what I can get from amazon.DE : http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009PO5KM/

PS:

Amazon.DE says:

31. März 2006 (March 31st, 2006)... weird xD

But maybe that's closer to reality than Feb 01 or Feb 28 ?
Edited on Tue, Dec 06 2005, 13:28 by Angelspit
What the #$*! do we know?

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 05 Dec 2005, 21:39

>"There is no law to force them to honnor this offer, if it is wrong. They will be forced to offer you two choices: to pay extra to get your game or to refund."

that's not true if you have paid for the product and they have accepted your money. The basic law of contracts means that once the purchase price has been given by the buyer (contractual offer) and taken by the seller (contractual acceptance) the seller must honour the bargain or pay "expectation damages" (ie a court will tell them to give you the product anyway).

Note that this is only if they actually take your money.
Edited on Mon, Dec 05 2005, 14:39 by Psychobabble

Return to “News”