On Steam and Might and Magic X

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Oct 2006, 15:17

French fan site Half-Life 2 Fusion attended the Video Game Festival (<i>Le Festival du Jeu Vidéo</i>) in Montreuil, France a couple of days ago and met Erwan Le Breton of Ubisoft. The <a href="/http://www.halflifefusion.com/dossier.p ... terview</a> is very short, but includes some very interesting comments at the end. Here is a translation by yours truly:

<b>Additional Features, SDK, Add-on, Sequel</b>: Additional features will become available after the release of the game. The software development kit will ship with the first patch. The release of an add-on is based on the success of the game. Ubisoft has been thinking about a sequel already.

<b>Steam</b>: Steam will be required for multiplayer only. Single-player can be launched without Steam.

<b>Might and Magic X</b>: The developers have expressed interest in creating a new Might and Magic game. However, developing a game of this genre is a costly and risky project.

About the last answer, we're not sure if Le Breton means Arkane or another game developer. In any case, it's good to know that Ubisoft is aware of the interest of fans and developers.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1160666227
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Oct 2006, 15:27

"Veeeery interesting," he said in a soft voice, rubbing his hands together and smiling devilishly.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: On Steam and Might and Magic X

Unread postby Justice » 12 Oct 2006, 16:38

Kalah wrote:"Veeeery interesting," he said in a soft voice, rubbing his hands together and smiling devilishly.
Veeeeery big QFE :-D

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 12 Oct 2006, 17:28

Might and Magic X: The developers have expressed interest in creating a new Might and Magic game. However, developing a game of this genre is a costly and risky project.

About the last answer, we're not sure if Le Breton means Arkane or another game developer. In any case, it's good to know that Ubisoft is aware of the interest of fans and developers.
And the answer of Arkane's CEO Raphael Colantonio in the Q&A Celestial Heavens posted in this monday, about MM10 was "yet to be determined". I think that means Arkane is aware of such plans and probably have been informed that in future Ubisoft might offer them to develop Might and Magix X, possibly the crucial factor might be the success of Dark Messiah.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 12 Oct 2006, 18:06

Hmmmm... DM + good sales = MM X... *Runs away to kidnap the prime minister and refuses to let him go before a new law demanding that every Faroese must own a copy of DM is accepted by the parliament*.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing!
-Edmund Burke

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 12 Oct 2006, 18:47

Okay, now lets take a look into our crystal balls and try to predict what may lie ahead.

If they do come out with MMX,(I think it is safe to assume Ubi will use Ashan and not the H1-H3 world or Axeoth) where in the storyline will the game take place? Seems like Dark Messiah occurs during or slightly after H5, so where will MMX be, and how will it incorporate into the existing world? Any ideas?

"However, developing a game of this genre is a costly and risky project."

One thing,(excuse my naivity if I am asking an obvious question) how does genre affect the cost of a video game in the big picture?

Unless, of course, by genre they are referring to the fact that this will be a Might and Magic game, then I could understand what they mean.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: On Steam and Might and Magic X

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Oct 2006, 18:59

CloudRiderX wrote:One thing,(excuse my naivity if I am asking an obvious question) how does genre affect the cost of a video game in the big picture?
I'm thinking amount of items/locations/etc in the game, which leads to more work, and the pay off is influenced too, some genres are more lucrative then others.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 13 Oct 2006, 09:35

How can developing MM10 be a risky project? You've got the brand name, you've got the best RPG series ever (nah, I'm not biased), you've got a huge fanbase already, you'll introduce a new fan base with DMoMM. The world is your oyster, get making it. All they need to do is do what they did with H5, pick the most popular version with the community, probably MM6 or MM7, (mine is MM2), and pretty much clone the sucker with updated graphics. It sounds so easy I'm starting to think I can do it.

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 13 Oct 2006, 12:37

Ryder you can't sell a relic like Might and Magic VI to a modern audience, even if you updated the graphics. You could perhaps make a game that appeals to the fans only but Ubisoft is committed to making the Might and Magic series gain a new and larger audience.

To make a successful new Might and Magic RPG, Ubisoft would need to do a major gameplay overhaul and no doubt it will turn of some old fans. I'd argue Might and Magic IX was already a relic when it was released.

Aspiriins
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aspiriins » 13 Oct 2006, 16:30

"It sounds so easy I'm starting to think I can do it."

O, really? Then take a look @ MMT - they are developing the game more than 3 years

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Oct 2006, 17:48

Dark Messiah looks a lot like a RPG already: an inventory, a selection of spells, NPCs, a plot, etc. Perhaps they could use this as a basis for the development of Might and Magic X.

BlackLotus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlackLotus » 13 Oct 2006, 23:56

It is very important that UBIsoft should start working on the next Might & Magic RPG. It will cement the return of the Might and Magic series as a whole. Might and Magic began as an RPG; therefore, it should return as one. Just make sure it is a good RPG adventure with great graphics and I promise you that people will buy it.
Edited on Fri, Oct 13 2006, 17:57 by BlackLotus
David J Zewalk

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 14 Oct 2006, 02:10

I have never played MM8 or MM9, but I heard they were horrible. The most common complaint I saw is lack of good storyline, so I guess Ubi should start on that first and make sure its really good.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 14 Oct 2006, 12:42

Yeah, the story must be good.- And preferably no one shoting about some griffin empire (with closed mouth and close up) while waving around with a sword and shooting fireworks O-o
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing!
-Edmund Burke

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 14 Oct 2006, 14:53

Single-player can be launched without Steam? If it means not even having to launch Steam, it's great news!

It would be better, however, if Ubisoft eliminated Steam altogether, including online activation.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 15 Oct 2006, 04:36

It's called a joke Aspiriins you nob jockey.

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 18 Oct 2006, 09:13

Angelspit wrote:

"Dark Messiah looks a lot like a RPG already: an inventory, a selection of spells, NPCs, a plot, etc. Perhaps they could use this as a basis for the development of Might and Magic X."

Well, the question is, would M&M fans accept a single player game with a combat/adventure orientation? (just like the Gothic games for example). Then yes, they already have the engine, a great combat system and almost everything needed to produce a great RPG.

If we want a party based game, with turn based combat system option and a very deep class and skill system, then it's a long way to modify DM into that.

Anyway I think they would decide to go for the first option, as it is the modern way of doing RPGs. I don't mind, if it's well done, but I certainly miss the old fashion games like M&M or Wizardry, and this could be the last oportunity to have one more of those back.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 18 Oct 2006, 11:13

as long as the story is not braindead, any story is a good story. In MM, the point is to have lots of exp, and skill points, and weapons, and quests and armor primary stats know all the locations and where are the spells. Thats important. Story Just needs to be there

And player-impact on the story is cool to. Sometimes!
Edited on Wed, Oct 18 2006, 05:15 by Cleanpea

Return to “News”