Ubisoft Is Not for Sale

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 27 Nov 2005, 02:37

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1133013326

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 Nov 2005, 02:37

This is excellent news. I imagine they will be turning a profit from the King Kong game as well.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 27 Nov 2005, 21:04

I'm just glad :)
What the #$*! do we know?

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 27 Nov 2005, 23:53

"Therefore, if some company suggests a strategy and price that meet the expectations of our employees and stockholders, we shall consider their proposal"

That sounds to me like: "We are not actively trying to sell, but if (say) EA were to offer x million, then we would say yes."

Seems like they may still be for sale..... (as long as the right price is offered).

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 28 Nov 2005, 22:51

Ofcrourse Furay. That's how it is.

I'm not sure how things will turn out, but I sincerely hope they will not sell out to EvilA!

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 29 Nov 2005, 01:39

I guess it was just that I thought the comment by Guillemot, saying Ubisoft were not for sale, followed immediately by saying that they would potentially sell if an offer was good enough, a bit of a contradiction....

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 29 Nov 2005, 15:12

Dont sell yourself UBI, keep up the good work. Screw EA!

Fight for independence!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Nov 2005, 17:33

I'd be fine with EA buying out UbiSoft. UbiSoft will ruin the Heroes series by insisting that StarForce be installed to play the game.

Electronic Arts (EA) has NO games with StarForce and isn't even on the list of publishers who have used StarForce. In my mind, that makes EA a better choice for publishing Heroes V!

http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html

Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 30 Nov 2005, 01:28

Wouldn't it be funny if all the Starforce hooha, turns out not to be true. Will the people bagging it (Yes you HodgePodge) then turn around and buy H5? How about a bit of faith in Fabrice, and let's mouth off after the problems start happening, then I'll too be on the anti-H5/Starforce bandwagon.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 30 Nov 2005, 03:33

I would love for the SF "hooha" turned out to be untrue; but unfortunately, there are just too many reports to the contrary. And yes, I'd love to "buy H5". I've been looking forward to it for more than three years now and it is a great disappointment to me that a greedy, unethical company such as UbiSoft would stubbornly disregard the safety and security of its paying customers' computers by insisting on shoving this malicious copy-protection up our asses.

The problems have not only already happened, but are continuing to happen on a regular basis. Sony has already been sued for using a similar type copy-protection & has wisely discontinued putting it on their CD's

People who don't have the balls to stand up and protest such blatant unethical behavior (not to mention, even illegal) deserve all the damage they get from a game which includes StarForce or any other dangerous copy-protection software!

And why should I or anyone have "faith" in Fabrice? He is a paid lackey of UbiSoft … who only says what they tell him to say. I'd say it's pretty foolish and gullible to believe anything that toad has to offer!

Even if SF only slows down the performance & quality of people's computers & opens up a hole to allow viruses & worms access to your computer, that is still most unacceptable.

Do you idolize Heroes V so much that you are willing to risk damaging your entire computer to play it? Which, by the way, includes any and all of the games & other programs previously installed on your PC.

Edited on Wed, Nov 30 2005, 02:08 by HodgePodge

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 30 Nov 2005, 05:20

Calm down, this news entry is not about StarForce. You can discuss it on the forum.

ldsfam
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ldsfam » 30 Nov 2005, 05:51

Personally, I'm still boycotting EA after the demise of the Ultima series at their hands (in my mind anyway). I think I would prefer not to see them get ahold of another of my favorite series.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 30 Nov 2005, 09:07

Yeah, sorry. I got kinda carried away. You're right about Ultima but everyone is entitled to one blunder … if they learn from their mistake.

Unfortunately, UbiSoft knows full well that SF is harmful because of the damage done to many computers with their Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory game. Still they're adamant about sticking it to us.

Even though EA may have "dropped the ball" with Ultima, at least Ultima didn't install malicious spyware on their customers' computers. I'd still be more comfortable with EA doing Heroes than UbiSoft, who has no respect for their customers.

arkantos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arkantos » 30 Nov 2005, 13:33

Personally I don't care who makes the game. I just want a new series and I'm glad they are putting back many Heroes III traits. I know a some people liked HIV, but I didn't like the changes they made.

If EA bought out the HOMM franchise, I wouldn't care! Just look at the battle for middle earth - that's a pretty amazing game!

Right now, I can't wait for Herores 5 to come out. Despite the Star force issues, I am going to buy it, as will most of the fans.

If SF does in fact affect my PC, I'm sure the many talented people out there will come out with a fix, althought I'm sure this will render the online capability inoperable. Not a big deal for me, but unfortunate for others.
Edited on Wed, Nov 30 2005, 09:56 by arkantos

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 01 Dec 2005, 06:25

For the sake of any who have not been following the StarForce disaster, the StarForce games install a device driver that allows user-level programs like games to assume OS level privileges, which is how the protection is enforced. But it also leaves the door open to all sorts of malware to take control of the computer once it gets a foothold. This is very serious.

For a short background on StarForce and a list of games that install it, see http://www.glop.org/starforce/ . You can also get a patch that will +attempt+ to remove the driver, but it is not always successful and if your machine has already been infected it is probably too late anyway.

I have not seen an announcement about Heroes V. However UbiSoft's big Christmas release, King Kong, uses StarForce.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 01 Dec 2005, 13:47

Kernel-mode DRM? That's rich, Sony was sued for exactly that sort of thing.

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 02 Dec 2005, 02:26

Re: HodgePodge. I accept your criticism, and agree, that our voices should be raised regarding our concerns with SF on H5 (Not that I think it will change anything).

My thoughts were more directed at my somewhat dubious belief about all of the SF comments. Perhaps it is my science background, but in my experience, a lot of these things do turn out to be "hooha". Not that they are necessarily false as such, but things like this do have a habbit of getting exagerated and obtaining a following that perpetuates false myths.

As far as faith in Fabrice, well yes, I probably am giving him more slack than I should, but alas, this is my nature.

As far as idolizing H5, again, guilty here, I will be one of those people buying and installing H5 on its first release- SF or not SF. If I encounter problems, then I'll have lost a little of my innocent nature :( and begin calling all French people frogs *jokes*

Viva la H5! :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 03 Dec 2005, 05:37

I have done a little checking and I think I've found out why UbiSoft is doing this. The European Union has recently passed legislation regarding minimum standards for copyright protection. It seems the French government has run amok and gone way beyond the EUCD standard. My guess is that Ubi is trying to comply as best they can and if the government lightens up, I think Ubi will too.

Xsi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Xsi » 03 Dec 2005, 11:22

I rather have starforce than an expensive expansion pack every 3 months (instead of patches to fix the game).

Return to “News”