New Head of Studio at Nival

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 11 Sep 2006, 19:52

<a href="/http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_pa ... try.biz</a> reports that "Joss Ellis has joined Nival Interactive, taking on the role of head of studios, to help the Russian-based developer understand the global market more thoroughly." Ellis had worked with Argonaut Games and Virgin Interactive before. He will serve as a liaison between the US and Russian offices of Nival.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1158004322
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 11 Sep 2006, 19:53

Pwnage.
What the #$*! do we know?

hein321
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby hein321 » 11 Sep 2006, 20:30

oh please nothing they can do or say will ever make me go buy a nival product again not after hommV never my hard earned cash again i won't object to piracy again
Edited on Mon, Sep 11 2006, 14:33 by hein321

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 Sep 2006, 20:33

maybe this will change some peoples attitudes towards the expnasion pack...
Edited on Mon, Sep 11 2006, 14:34 by soupnazii

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 11 Sep 2006, 20:38

If the *only* thing that comes out of this is a relay of questions/answers/feedback between Nival and the community, I will be happy.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Sep 2006, 20:40

:lolu: Help or show?Anyway,lets hope its not too late for heroes.

VortexD
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby VortexD » 11 Sep 2006, 21:12

Do we really need to be so negative about Nival. Sure they could use a hand, but I really believe they are all doing their upmost best between inviting strippers when shipping a new game or expansion.

Edit: Small typo...
Edited on Mon, Sep 11 2006, 15:13 by VortexD
When someone asks whether your glass is half full or half empty, always say your glass is entirely full. The actual contents of the glass is not relevant.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 11 Sep 2006, 21:33

I'm not being negative about Nival, I just think their communication with non-Russian fans is abysmal. That's not entirely their fault (language barrier) but it is not a good thing either.

So we rely on Ubi who only communicate once in a blue moon (i.e. when there is a patch). I just hope this fixes the problem.
Edited on Mon, Sep 11 2006, 15:34 by Warlock

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 11 Sep 2006, 21:50

You people understand that the new guy will work as a filter between Nival and their us HQ right? So when Nival say: "Bah! Worthless americans. It will be done when it's ready. Now leave us alone with our vodka!"

The PR guy will translate it too: "Best collagues, It will be done when it's ready. Now we want to be alone so we can focus on our work".

He will also teach them how to communicate with the rest of the world.

Perhaps he can
learn them english
:thinking:

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 11 Sep 2006, 22:25

Joss Ellis... IF Nival is going to develop further Heroes/M&M games, the American they SHOULD hire is Jon Van Caneghem. He's definitely the only one who could save the series and who could reconcile Nival with the fans.

Let Jon be in charge of Heroes VI and I predict (almost) everbody will be happy again. ;)
Edited on Mon, Sep 11 2006, 16:32 by JSE

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Sep 2006, 00:39

help the Russian-based developer understand the global market more thoroughly

i really like that part of the comment!!
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 12 Sep 2006, 00:48

Well lets hope this Ellis guy don't become fond of vodka!!! :) On a more serious note, I hope he teaches them to communicate with the U.S. fans. As a matter of fact, hopefully he teaches both Nival and UBI to communicate more with the fans on their English websites... At least give us updates more often would help...
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

VortexD
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby VortexD » 12 Sep 2006, 02:22

Actually recent studies show that vodka has become more popular in the States then Russia and that the consumption of wine and champagne has surpassed the consumption of vodka in Russia.

Also I believe Jon van Caneghem was not going to continue working on M&M. And I doubt he and his family would like to move to Russia. It still is a pity, he has always been the brains and heart behind M&M. It just isn't the same without Jon.
When someone asks whether your glass is half full or half empty, always say your glass is entirely full. The actual contents of the glass is not relevant.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 12 Sep 2006, 03:36

Vodka is quite an annoying stereotype, for me, at least. It seems that most of the Russians who drink alcohol (contrary to popular belief, not everyone does) prefer beer.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Sep 2006, 06:40

Oh please,beer is no alchohol :devil: .And any self respectful alchoholic prefers domestic stuff over the store bought one,so those statistics mean nothing :devil: .

As for the communication with the american fans,who cares?Its not like they are a quarter of the market :devious:

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 12 Sep 2006, 10:28

What is the link between the new market guy and vodka :|
Else I hope that'll increase the communication.

As to your sig DL...
100 posts in a day!Beat that if you can!
One week my average was 168 :proud:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Sep 2006, 13:01

There is a Q&A with Mr. Ellis at Next Generation:

Does Nival have many employees with experience on consoles?

Frankly, no. A lot of them are avid games players, but [lack of console experience is] a particular challenge. That’s one of the reasons we have a joint US-Moscow team. We’ve got US designers to help along and obviously myself as well, who has a long history of making console games for the Genesis and before that.

Our job is to help them along the way, and get them on the right track fast, rather than allowing them to make mistakes.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Sep 2006, 13:20

They want to change HoMM into a console series? Aaaah!
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 12 Sep 2006, 13:30

"How much will Nival rely on outsourcing, and will that reliance increase as years go on?

Part of what we offer to US publishers is [our capability] as an outsourcing center ourselves. We’re going to do that, and further outsource [our own work], because Moscow is not cheap, but we do have access to places like Ukraine and China with nearer geographic time zones. We will use them quite a bit, because it’s cost effective"

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 12 Sep 2006, 14:45

Concerning the references here to JVC....While I loved nearly every game Jon put out, do you really think that adding him to the team will get you to automatically like the game? Not every game he made was great. H4? MM9? H4 expansions? Don't get me wrong, I'd also love it if he were to come back into the MM-fold. But he clearly stated over a year ago that he was pretty much burned out on the MM-franchise and wanted to move on to other things. Ubisoft DID contact him on joining the team. He turned them down. So I highly doubt that Russian-based Nival will be able to change his mind.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Return to “News”