More Answers from Nival

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 08 Oct 2005, 15:00

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1128780332

St0rMBolt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby St0rMBolt » 08 Oct 2005, 15:00

yay

NoSanninWa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NoSanninWa » 08 Oct 2005, 15:30

What? Marksmen LOSE the area attack ability when they upgrade?!

Are the marksmen so much better that it is worth losing the ability, or is it generally considered a penalty to attack an area, like the Lichs in Heroes 3? (Maybe a combination of the two?)

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Falsted » 08 Oct 2005, 15:54

Of course we need some more info on the archer lose of AOE when upgraded for it to make sence...but I view this as a good thing. This means that hopefully a fair number of creatures in all of the towns will actually have a *point* in staying non-upgraded. Not like in Heroes 3 where every single upgrade just added some stats and made the unit better...it was a givin to upgrade all of your troops at some point in the game...but it would seem that has changed...which is good news :)

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 08 Oct 2005, 16:03

I am a bit confused by this Area of Attack, to me that's the fire arrow in Heroes 4. So exactly what is it that is being lost. You can only attack unblocked targets now.

Also while I enjoyed Warlords 1 - 3, I never bought 4 after all of the bad reviews. It is a very different type of combat and usually fought with little imput from the player, so other than being an experienced designer, I do not see how Steve Fawkner's involvement is anything but a yawn as far as news.
Edited on Sat, Oct 08 2005, 13:51 by jeff
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 08 Oct 2005, 16:34

Well I"m satisfied with most of the things I have read in the thread. It's a pity that there will be no caravans, but unique hero abilities for each hero will be back (If I understood it good)! And about the in-game texts. I hope the "artifact stories" will be presented, they where fun to read and gave the artifact some cool background...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 08 Oct 2005, 16:56

Sorry, I misspelled the name. Of course it's Fawkner, not Fokner, but Larisa misspelled it first. :)

NecroSpazz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NecroSpazz » 08 Oct 2005, 16:58

"The Academy town will be able to create mini-artifacts for units"????

What is this?
Necropolis fan since Heroes 2.

bethrezen_2
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bethrezen_2 » 08 Oct 2005, 17:51

I think it's good that marksmans lose area ability... they reduce enemy defence when upgraded(if it's true) and if they have area attack too it will be too powergul for level2

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 08 Oct 2005, 19:55

The archer/marksman choice thing sounds very promising for upgrade options. The upgrade should be better imo, but not always "better enough" to justify the cost.

superpaladin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby superpaladin » 09 Oct 2005, 02:09

Quote from Lord Haart

The archer/marksman choice thing sounds very promising for upgrade options. The upgrade should be better imo, but not always "better enough" to justify the cost.

Yeah!! I with ya. At first I said "what the heck?!!?" Then after reading your comment, I think you could be right too.

Maybe the marksmen will have the ability to shoot through 2 units that is standing a straightline IF that are very close to the marksmen, not adjacent to them.

OR

They deals double damage in close ranged combats.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 09 Oct 2005, 05:35

I don't like the idea of spells failing and possibly turning against the caster one bit. What if we cast Meteor Shower, or Inferno, or Implosion? We now have to worry about hitting ourselves with these spells? That to me is stupid!

Shredst0r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shredst0r » 09 Oct 2005, 12:08

i am a little disappointed they stated they wont implement restrictions to hero chaining. heroes would be more interesting without.

spells falling could be rather game braking imo.
Edited on Sun, Oct 09 2005, 06:16 by Shredst0r

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 09 Oct 2005, 12:43

iirc, the full article says spells will only fail or backfire if a very low level mage casts a very high level spell. So it kinda makes sense.

Hero chaining also means that your reinforcements are vulnerable, don't forget.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 09 Oct 2005, 14:32

While I can understand that having spells backfire might seem interesting, I don't like it no matter the reason for making it so. Why have spell scrolls then? That disappoints me more than anything I've learned about the game so far. Silly, I know but my two cents none-the-less.

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 09 Oct 2005, 15:43

Steve Fawkner didn't come up with something worthwhile for a long time, so his involvement is bad news at best.

I don't see the problem with spells backfiring though, it only happens with special skills, so I really don't see the problem. Don't call for diversity when you are frightened as soon as something in the least bit diverse gets implemented.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 09 Oct 2005, 21:29

Hey! A little bit more respect for the legendary Stewe Fawkner would be appreciated!

I haven't played the Warlords games but I do play Warlords BattleCry III which is great.

And the Warlordsgames have always been counted as good.

LindaG - A woman? HERE?! CHRIST! :O

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 09 Oct 2005, 23:58

If I was in charge at Ubisoft/Nival, I would do my utmost to get Jon Van Caneghem in the boat -- if not as the lead designer at least as a consultant of some sort; HE's a legend and apart from that, he is Might and Magic...
Edited on Sun, Oct 09 2005, 18:19 by JSE

protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 10 Oct 2005, 00:38

JSE,

As I understand it Ubisoft and Nival did try to get JVC onboard, but he didn't want to participate. Why he didn't want to participate isn't really known, but Ubisoft and Nival had him visiting the offices at one point in time.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 10 Oct 2005, 01:33

protecyon,

I am aware of JVC's (alleged) decline -- that's why I said that I would do my "utmost", i.e., give JVC the position, the creative freedom and the money he wants.
Edited on Sun, Oct 09 2005, 19:35 by JSE

Return to “News”