Sylvan Faction Revealed

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 29 Sep 2005, 20:56

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1128024868

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 29 Sep 2005, 20:56

We need a new Picture of the Day! :)))))
What the #$*! do we know?

Kankira
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kankira » 29 Sep 2005, 22:30

... and some new pictures have been added (gameplay images about sylvan faction)!!!

NOTE: too many units with two weapons ... (minotaur, war dancer, blood sister, scout, golem....)

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 30 Sep 2005, 06:20

What?! Who made this concept?! How can an elf wear skin of a dead animal?! Elves and animals live in harmony and an elf never wears fur!
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 30 Sep 2005, 06:51

Where are the gameplay images??

Viktor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Viktor » 30 Sep 2005, 06:52

And what if the animal dies by natural death? Then could an elf wear a fur?

Sometimes in nature also the animals could kill each other, you now for food, for example.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 30 Sep 2005, 07:07

It said the elves are hunters, so they obviously hunt animals for meat. It would be wasteful to not use the animal's fur as well.
- Fnord

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 30 Sep 2005, 07:08

Yeah, I would take the stance that the elf has honoured the passed animal by wearing its skin. Not that the elf killed the animal in order to wear the skin.

Also, I get a boring feeling from the screenshots. Nothing too exciting there, nothing that makes me want to go, "Yeah, I want to play that faction!". That's what I did when I saw the Necro, and Dark Elf troops....

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 30 Sep 2005, 07:47

Honorable to wear someones fur? Would you think it would be an honor for you if someones kills you and then puts his skin on himself?

Hunters? Weird. They are vegeterians. Why do they use bows? Because they like to sit on tree and kill humans and dark elves.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 30 Sep 2005, 08:37

Who said elves are vegetarians ? (by the way, it's also nonsense to have vegetarians elves - aren't plants actually living beings too ?)

I think elves in HoMM5 follow the philosophy that, if they have to kill an animal (probably an old, already dying one), they will use every bit of it to not have to kill another one. That means wearing his fur, using his bones to make tools or whatever, and so on.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

5t14z
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 5t14z » 30 Sep 2005, 10:10

Why would vegetarian need a bow? for fun?? How they can shoot enemies? ANIMALLOVER

neroir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby neroir » 30 Sep 2005, 10:55

elvens are respectful with nature and animals, but this doesn't mean that they are vegetarians...

NurDas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NurDas » 30 Sep 2005, 13:53

As I see it, elves live in a society that respects nature. That means they understand the circle of life and the balance of nature. They satisfy their everyday needs with things the nature around them has to offer. They use as much as they need and in such a way that doesn't affect the balance of nature. And yes they carry animal furs to respect the animals. It's called totemism. To think elves should be vegetarians and never wear fur, beacause that means you kill an animal... well I'm afraid you have been living in the big city for too long ;)
"Modernism is a totalitarian ideology."
- L. Krier

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 30 Sep 2005, 16:23

Nival took (as they said) Indians as archetype for the elves. Remember, the Indians also lived in harmony with nature - nevertheless they shot (only!) as many animals as they needed.

I think, that's what makes a great part of the fascination of the indians: Human beings who were like elves ;) :)
What the #$*! do we know?

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 30 Sep 2005, 18:27

I didn't say they don't kill animals so they can eat. They pick all eatible from the ground and eat animals only if they can't eat anything else (similiar is in our world. No animal will attack human unles he/she is hungry. You can go to sharks that just eat and it won't even touch you.)

I was talking about fur! Elves respect animals too much so they nowhere else but in Heroes V they use their skin for themeselves. They trow leafs on theme and leave theme there. Even if they eat theme. If an elf would see a human wearing fur, he would kill him on the place the human stood.

And 5t147, didn't you read my whole post? I alredy wrote why are they using bows. They are using stealth to kill because they are too weak so I don't believe a sword or an axe would be suitable for that kind of aproach.

Falsted
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Falsted » 30 Sep 2005, 18:34

Indeed, the Shamans in some of the Indian tribes remind of the Elves a lot now that you mention it. Just read Warcraft Lord of the Clans and you can get a good picture of a Shaman in the Fantasy realm :) That is what I think Heroes 5 Elves will resemble.

kurios
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kurios » 30 Sep 2005, 18:37

Hey Sauron thats a ridiculous notion that Elves would kill a human simply for wearing fur. The political stance that claims the wearing of fur is evil is a modern ideal in the age of synthetic fabrics etc. Fur has always been used as warm clothes even by those who respect nature. The Souix tribes wore buffalo skins as clothes and they were very respectful of nature. So please don't apply your modern political ethics as a universal constant.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 30 Sep 2005, 18:45

Also, Sauron, elves don't use bows because they're too weak to fight melee, it's because they're s m a r t. Using stealth to kill people is also the Dungeons idea, but they use a crossbow, does that mean they aren't weak? Knights don't use stealth because its considered cowardly and dishonorable. Elves have always used bows, why is that weak? I'll take a bow over a sword any day if it comes to saving my skin in a war....
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Return to “News”