Heroes V Expansion Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 27 Aug 2006, 09:23

The <a href="/http://www.igromania.ru/archive/?108">announcement</a> says that the next issue of the Russian gaming magazine Igromania, expected on August 29, will contain information about the first Heroes V expansion pack.

According to what little information is available now, it will include the Dwarves, who will have exclusive access to brand-new "runic magic", which will be significantly different from traditional Heroes magic - for example, casting it will require resources instead of mana.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1156670617

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 27 Aug 2006, 10:11

I wonder if the games' current problems and bugs will be just ignored.. (would be hilarious if I installed the exp and still found "Sev.", like it has been there after 2 patches).
Infiltrator out.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 27 Aug 2006, 10:32

Why do people hate Sev. so much? It's a graphics issue, the full word doesn't fit into the box.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Aug 2006, 10:59

Oh please.Like its that hard to decrease the font,or increase the box.

MER
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby MER » 27 Aug 2006, 11:04

If the 'Sev.' was the only problem I would live with it :P .

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 27 Aug 2006, 11:09

Hmm, Runic Magic huh. Sounds interesting. I hope the expansion is released without any bugs or problems at least.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Loco Blutaxt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Loco Blutaxt » 27 Aug 2006, 11:22

Resources instead of mana? I'm very sceptical!

I worry about game balance (multiplayer)!

But all in all good news indeed! :-)
Edited on Sun, Aug 27 2006, 05:23 by Loco Blutaxt
If you're a German speaking fanboy of the Heroes series also visit Drachenwald

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Aug 2006, 11:25

It is just their special.They use normal spells as well.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 27 Aug 2006, 11:51

Think so? Anyway, it worked well in Disciples... Sounds good.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 27 Aug 2006, 11:56

"Sev." is not a problem per se, but it's an excellent exampe of how devoted they are to fix the game. Honestly, what do you expect do be fixed if Sev. is there for 2 patches?
Infiltrator out.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes V Expansion Announced

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 Aug 2006, 11:59

Vlaad II wrote:Think so? Anyway, it worked well in Disciples... Sounds good.
JJ said so.Runemagic is their special,and they use wood and ore in its casting.Sounds nice,but it really depends on the spells that will be in that school.And those JJ mentioned arent that promising,imo.

Check his post and see for yourself: viewtopic.php?t=3388&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Aug 2006, 13:16

This sounds exciting! :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Aug 2006, 13:40

If they get a Wood/Ore generator in town it shouldn't be very unbalanced. Not based on map resources anyway.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 27 Aug 2006, 13:59

Vlaad II wrote:Think so? Anyway, it worked well in Disciples... Sounds good.
But in disciples, ALL magic was resource-based, so as long as the vaious mana sources were balanced on the map, balancing within the system was no different from balancing a mana-based system.

Since later on in a map, resources other than the one needed for your level 7 tend to become very abundant (and even that one is generally in good supply), it is likely to to greatly strengthen the faction. Now, depending on the type and strength of the spells, it may be OK.

Although the record on cleaning up bugs isn't that great, I am happy with the basic design of new elements into the game, so I am willing to trust that they can integrate the new idea.

However, the expansion will not be high on my list of things to get if items such as the editor aren't released soon. I haven't even been tempted to startup H5 in a couple weeks. Most of my strategy gaming recently has been playing La Pucelle: Tactics on my PS2. (I have enjoyed it quite a bit, too)

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 27 Aug 2006, 17:23

Heroes of might and magic and M & M has been my ulitimate games and about the only games I play. I quickly bought H-V but soon became disappointed and I have to honestly admit, the maps are boring to a point I for sure don't have any desire to replay any of them. I am really disappointed that the bugs aren't fixed after 2 patches, not to mention no editor among other issues. I have tried to give Nival/UBI the benifit of doubt but finding it difficult to continue with patience to beleive in them anymore. With that being said, I seriously doubt I among many will rush to buy any expansion, if at all..

Thanx soupnazii for pointing that out. I edited and remove the word 'not' from the last sentence. :)
Edited on Sun, Aug 27 2006, 13:13 by addicted
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 27 Aug 2006, 18:49

you mean you seriously doubt that you will rush to buy the expansion? the way you said it makes it sound like you will go get it as soon as possible.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 27 Aug 2006, 19:21

I was kinda hoping for two new factions in this first expansion simply because I don't trust that they will even make a 2nd expansion, but at least one is better than none.

I am very happy though that it turned out to be the Dwarves and I really like the idea of this "Runic Magic" where you need a special resource to cast spells. Some will immediately call that a ripoff of Disciples, but I could care less. It's different to Heroes and I like the idea. As for using wood and ore to cast these spells, I was kinda hoping it would be a new, special type of resource that isn't used for anything else. Like a runestone.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 27 Aug 2006, 19:39

I personally doubt that I would buy an expantion before the bugs and kinks were fixed in the original.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Aug 2006, 19:55

King Imp wrote: Some will immediately call that a ripoff of Disciples, but I could care less.
It isn't. Runes and dwarves togheter has been around for ever. And i'm pretty sure i've seen plenty of town suggestions involving runemagic on all HoMM forums.

I was kinda hoping to get a Barb town, coz they've been around since H1, but i guess the orcs are taken atm by DMoMM. I do hope they make it in exp #2, if that one ever gets made.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 27 Aug 2006, 20:29

I hope they'll do some exciting stuff... A new town was expected, but I'm rather expecting something like caravans brought back, or more spells. New town, and most likely some new neutrals, that seems nice, but it's not going to captivate my attention too long.
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

Return to “News”