Nival Answers, Episode IV: A New Hope

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 23 Aug 2006, 17:56

ThunderTitan wrote:
@PhoenixReborn

You do know that H5 did come with it's own manual, right?
You wouldn't think so from the amount of times I've seen "how do you split troops?" asked in the various heroes forums.

I fail to see what that has to do with the upcoming map editor. Would you rather have instructions on how to use it or not?

I'm not happy about the limited amount of maps and the map mix up from patch 1.2. That doesn't mean a map editor isn't coming.

anachrodragon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Nival Answers, Episode IV: A New Hope

Unread postby anachrodragon » 23 Aug 2006, 18:20

Sikon wrote:Message boxes with story elements will not return.
Ouch. This actually upset me enough to delurk! If this means that the map editor will have no capacity to add scripted story elements via message boxes, I'll be really angry. Like angry enough to stop playing the game even. Games like this only have longevity through player-created content, and that means giving the players some reasonable flexability to create varied content. Map makers don't want to create a bunch of cookie cutter crap. Most want their maps to be interesting and have a somewhat unique feel. Story elements are one of the best ways to accomplish that.
Those who need a difficulty evel higher than Heroic can try playing without using save/load.
Yeah, and those who prefer 2d graphics can try gouging an eye out. ;)

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Re: Nival Answers, Episode IV: A New Hope

Unread postby omegaweix » 23 Aug 2006, 18:22

Positive information in this post:
-The map editor does exist and may be released..... sometimes!

The rest rather sounds like "We have no time/ressources and/or simply don't want to" .... I could have done without this!

Negative information contained:
Sikon wrote: the Skill Wheel won't be placed into the game.
Fragmentary ingame documentation is always a bad thing that has to be corrected!
Sikon wrote: it is unlikely that the combat camera settings in the beta, which allowed to use close-ups for absolutely all strikes, will return.
They are so proud of their graphics, so enabling this option would have matched with their philosophy that mostly the graphics count.... strangely they don't see it.
Sikon wrote: those who need a difficulty evel higher than Heroic can try playing without using save/load.
I'm sorry but even with irony implicated I find this declaration really insulting !
I do not need a harder difficulty personally but this sloppy manners are a punch into a customers face!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 23 Aug 2006, 19:18

Well all I can say from this news and this thread is Nival killing out any sales for any expansion they might come out with!!!!!!!!!! (Are you listening UBI? If Nival keeps this up, they will be eating their dust collected expansions (if it makes it that far) and we can all attend the cyber funeral of H-V!!!!!!!! sigh
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Yo guys what's up

Unread postby Derek » 23 Aug 2006, 20:10

Sathasarus wrote:if you think even deeper about it, if they did release a perfect game, then eventually you would get bored, but as they add in new elements, it sparks new interest in the game each time, and keeps you excited about the game.
This may be the most stupid thing that I've ever read. I will try to think deeper about it though. :jester:
Hell has frozen over...

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 23 Aug 2006, 20:37

Though I agree with the negative tone, I think some are taking it a bit to far...

Anyways, this promisses more mmt like projects in the future if I look at this thread. :devious:
Grah!

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 23 Aug 2006, 20:39

"if you think even deeper about it, if they did release a perfect game, then eventually you would get bored, but as they add in new elements, it sparks new interest in the game each time, and keeps you excited about the game."

No, absolutely NOT.

Example: I am going to buy someone a toy for Christmas. They know all about the toy, but not what it's going to be like. I buy the gift for them, but instead of giving the whole thing to the person, I take it apart and give them one more piece every month.

That is a perfect example of what Nival is doing! I am bored with Nival NOW. If the game was the way we wanted, Nival could be looking for ways to add on to a great game, to make it even better.

What are we doing now? We are waiting for Nival to add the features that HOMM needs, but they are just blowing us off and skipping that part and going on to what they think HOMM should have instead.

And some of us are getting tired of waiting.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

VortexD
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby VortexD » 23 Aug 2006, 20:41

Here's my 2 cents. Warning some serious Nival bashing ahead. I just couldn't take it anymore.

The Skill Wheel won't be placed into the game.
Getting the ultimates are too tedious and barely worth it anyway.

It is unlikely that the combat camera settings in the beta, which allowed to use close-ups for absolutely all strikes, will return.
How much trouble would it be too just put this option back, they still haven't given a good reason not to put it back.

Official modmaking support is being "worked over" by Ubisoft.
Meaning that after they realease the mapmaker they will quit working on H5.

The map editor will include a manual.
Okay, but how much of it will actually explain you how to make maps.

There are plans for major balance changes in Training, Necromancy and Gating, but it's too early to talk about that. When making changes, they consider both their own and fan opinions.
Just stop with the balancing and give us the editor so that we can do it for you.

To enable duel mode with the AI, one can select two players and place one of them in autocombat mode.
How much of an AI is it if I can to tell it to start/stop attacking?

Ubisoft is discussing plans to produce additional text materials about the history of Ashan.
Thank you, why even bother with the incredible story the previous M&M games had when we can let the Ashan universe join Star Trek!

It takes about a month to make one hero model, so female hero models were not made because of time constraints.
Yeah right, do you need hire some women to pose, scan them in 3D and make pictures of them for textures? Then suit them up for MoCap?

Combat replays are not yet planned.
So this will just never come.

Message boxes with story elements will not return.
Do that and then just don't bother releasing the map editor.

Spells cannot be cast on heroes — it'sart of the system, and it makes no sense to make exceptions for initiative-modifying spells like Haste and Slow.
Sense has neven been a design formula at Nival in the first place.

It is possible that the option to prevent the hero from using magic during autocombat will return.
Al the previous games had it, so should H5.

Those who need a difficulty evel higher than Heroic can try playing without using save/load.
And if my PC decides to lock up I should probably just buy a new one.

In version 1.3, cheat codes will return, but only for the singleplayer mode.
Don't forget 32167

Patch 1.3 will add player ratings for the duel mode.
So if I fight the AI it will also be listed?

No levels besides the ground and the underground will be added.
I understand you'll need the time to add more female hero models.

Nival currently has no time to provide support for modding.
Maybe you can ask Ubi to that too?
When someone asks whether your glass is half full or half empty, always say your glass is entirely full. The actual contents of the glass is not relevant.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2006, 21:12

PhoenixReborn wrote: You wouldn't think so from the amount of times I've seen "how do you split troops?" asked in the various heroes forums.
Exactly.
PhoenixReborn wrote: I fail to see what that has to do with the upcoming map editor. Would you rather have instructions on how to use it or not?
I'd rather not have any instruction at all then the kind H5 came with.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Aug 2006, 21:31

VortexD wrote: It is possible that the option to prevent the hero from using magic during autocombat will return.
Al the previous games had it, so should H5.
No it wasnt there.WoG introduced this one to HIII,and I dont think it was in HIV,though I never bothered with HIV auto combat.

Braxen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Braxen » 23 Aug 2006, 21:33

My god you guys are a bunch of grumpy individuals...

Geez.

Hope I stay the positive person I am and never turn into one of those "everything sucks" kind of guys...

YES, there are issues (NONE that have bothered me I must honestly admit), and they are working on it.

If they don´t get it perfect? Fine, it´s their funeral...but I bet you that they don´t get more motivated by constantly having people bashing them for WHATEVER they do.

Sorry for the negative tone...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Yo guys what's up

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Aug 2006, 21:33

Sathasarus wrote:You guys are so negative... I mean ****, they coulda made the perfect game you guys wanted and teased you by asking your opinion as they are now before they even released the game. But they had a decent playable game out, at the same price it woulda been if it was PERFECT, and have given the promise that it will improve w/o having to spend more money.

if you think even deeper about it, if they did release a perfect game, then eventually you would get bored, but as they add in new elements, it sparks new interest in the game each time, and keeps you excited about the game.

play w/ what you got, remain positive and look forward towards the next upgrades. EVENTUALLY, everyone will be happy.

fu guys thanks.

Sath,A mirror
What the hell?Ok,how many people are still playing HIII,even without WoG?And its how old?
VortexD wrote: It is possible that the option to prevent the hero from using magic during autocombat will return.
Al the previous games had imbat.t, so should H5.
No it wasnt there.WoG introduced this one to HIII,and I dont think it was in HIV,though I never bothered with HIV auto combat.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 23 Aug 2006, 21:35

Translation of it all - "Now, that most of the copies have been sold and we dont plan to have much more sales in the time ahead, we proudly announce that we won't be adding much content, fixing a plethora of bugs or making an effort to make this game better"

Luckily I recieved my copy for free.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2006, 21:38

Braxen wrote: Hope I stay the positive person I am and never turn into one of those "everything sucks" kind of guys...
"Don't worry, tomorrow is gonna be worse!"

In the beggining everybody was all "they're working on it" and "you shouldn't bash them yet". I'm feeling mighty vindicated right now. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

moonman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby moonman » 23 Aug 2006, 21:43

where mode 'simulationeus turns'?

nival suxxx

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 23 Aug 2006, 22:00

Once again Nival proved that they just NOT able to make good games and that they even dont want to.

Also that they dont care about stuff like heroes, fans and ethic behaviour.

as for no save/load "advise" - that is the most stupid and impudent developers comment Ive ever heard.

I belive next ones will be:

1) Try to defend castles using only field combat. (just make one step out of it)

2) Try to not defend castles at all (just capture. But ! You can capture enemy castles as much times as you want!)

3) Dont use magic of 5,4 and 3 levels

4) Try to select hero level up skills in random-type manner

5) Dont swim more than 5 days a month

6) Dont use market

Hey I can continue at least for ten more minutes. Intresting Nival has some open vacancies ...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Aug 2006, 22:26

So, official modmaking support is being "worked over" by Ubisoft, but they do not have time to support modding.

I'm so confused!
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 23 Aug 2006, 22:48

The Skill Wheel won't be placed into the game.
Good documentation is vital part of the good game.
Ubisoft is discussing plans to produce additional text materials about the history of Ashan.
Lets make it clear, as for now Ashan world is crap. I`m looking forward to this "text material", maybe it will fix something, yet i doubt it.
It takes about a month to make one hero model, so female hero models were not made because of time constraints.
Heard about that somewhere so i`ll not complain that they don`t have any skills. Ok there is 6 races, that makes 6 female heroes. So let`s say it`s 6 months of work, but for example female knight could pass with slight editing of Isabel`s model, so ~5 months. As i understand it takes month when only one artist is working on model, so i think they should have at least 2 artists in such company. Also i haven`t seen any model editing in patches, yes there was shadow witch, but that couldn`t take an entire month. So what does that mean? Their artists aren`t working on HV anymore and by looking at answer about modding support handed over to Ubi it starts to look that Nival won`t "support" HV very long, 1.3 might be their last patch.
I understand that cut-scenes are step forward, but developers should support map makers, while such statment is low blow to creative map makers.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 23 Aug 2006, 23:56

Official modmaking support is being "worked over" by Ubisoft.
what mod making support? so far they havnt given any...

congratulations on killing one of the most interesting aspects of the game

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 24 Aug 2006, 00:25

@TT

I as well.
Hell has frozen over...

Return to “News”