HOMMV GC videos

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 07 Sep 2005, 23:07

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1126129158

Ynhockey
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ynhockey » 07 Sep 2005, 23:07

The Nival video looks very good. But did anyone else notice that the skill system is back to Heroes 3? I mean, it's hard to judge from just a few shots, but this is likely the case. Which seems pretty poor considering the skill system was one of the very few things that by far most of the fans preferred in Heroes 4. Eek. The combat looks very well-done however.

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 07 Sep 2005, 23:57

The way I see it, they couldn't keep the H4 skill system if they were going to implement the hero abilities. If a player wanted to get any abilities, they would have to give up a chance to expand their skills to their highest levels. Still, they could have combined the H3 and H4 systems: keep the skills at only 3 levels, but implement the skill families. The abilities could have been included in the sub-skill sets, meaning every ability would have a pre-requisite base skill.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 08 Sep 2005, 00:18

I liked the Master and Grandmaster levels from H4. If their ditchin that, what else will be missing? Considering that wouldn't be too complicated to integrate into a game, it's only 2 more to each skill, why not go all the way? I don't mind H3 style gameplay, but I prefer 4's hero customization.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 08 Sep 2005, 00:41

Don't forget that in order to achievethe Master and Grandmaster levels, a certain level was also required in two of the three sub-skills, so it isn't just a matter of adding two more levels to the skills. At those levels, those skills became very potent, so there had to be some way to balance that out.

Camay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Camay » 08 Sep 2005, 10:53

After all the videos since the first e3 I have to admit that this game is very surprising. The look of the adventure map is awesome and more than what I was expecting.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 08 Sep 2005, 12:49

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're "ditching" the heroes 4 skill system. Yes, they won't have Master and Grandmaster levels. But it does look like they'll have primary and secondary skills like they were in h4. If you notice on the treasure chest pop-up screenshot, the pop-up window over the experience choice (not gold) states that the experience increases the heroes PRIMARY and SECONDARY skills. That plus the number of total skills they're estimating....I'd say that the h4 system is indeed back. Just not the 5 levels.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

ronald
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ronald » 08 Sep 2005, 14:19

There is a video on the offical teaser site now aswell, it the first part though this bit is just 22 MB, also the necropolis creatures are offically announced
Thelonious - Still the maddest magician around Hey, don't look at the secret part of my signature!

Xsi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Xsi » 08 Sep 2005, 14:48

"states that the experience increases the heroes PRIMARY and SECONDARY skills."

Primary would mean attack, defense etc, secondary would mean logistics etc, wouldnt it.

I doubt they will ditch the linkage between for instance pathfinding to scouting like it was in H4. Its a better system, period.

ronus03
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ronus03 » 08 Sep 2005, 15:41

Yeah I would hate to see the total disapperence of the H4 skill system and i'm open for improvements. EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND!!! (spells, creatureabilities, skills... more more more!). I would hate to have explored the game in a course of a few hours.

P.S. - Whats with the spell book? We're not in kindergarden! Needs a lot more detail and info!
Hats off to all contributors, in all shapes and sizes. Keep up the good work.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 08 Sep 2005, 18:20

@ Xsi

I'm not sure about that. I sure wouldn't consider Att/Def/SP/Know to be skills. I'm looking at it like there are...say 4 spell schools...each spell school has sub-catagories. Primary and Secondary. But who knows, you could be right. Then again, I'm fairly certain a LOT of the text we've seen so far is temporary. They'll be tweaking that part quite a bit during the Beta phase.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 08 Sep 2005, 19:07

I didn't say I thought they were ditching the h4 skill system, but I said, 'if they were ditching the master and G.master levels, what else will be missing?'. I knew that Primary and 2ndary skills would be in this game so far, I just was hoping this wouldn't start a chain of things that would be dropped.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 08 Sep 2005, 20:52

Sir Charles: The Heroes 3 manual and game definitely refer to Att/Def/SP/Know as "primary skills" (and the other ones "secondary skills"), unlike the H4 manual and game. Since H5 appears to be based more heavily on H3 than on H4, it's quite likely they're keeping the H3 terminology for H5. But until we see the game or a beta or get more information, we obviously can't be certain. However, from the screenshots I've seen, my guess is that they're basically using an H3 system for skills with the exception of some skills now being abilities instead (abilities having only one level and probably differing in other respects too).
- Fnord

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 08 Sep 2005, 23:33

@Fnord

LOL. Wow. I botched THAT one. I completely forgot that they were refered to in that way. Sorry guys. :O)

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Fnord » 09 Sep 2005, 00:13

Charles: No worries. I expect you're just more familiar with H4 lately. And personally, I always thought calling the basic statistics "primary skills" was a bit odd and confusing...but so it goes.
- Fnord

lpatenaude
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby lpatenaude » 09 Sep 2005, 16:52

Let's not forget everybody, that the franchise of HoMM has just been acquired by Ubisoft and then contracted to Nival for development, OK?!

We're(the fans and very knowledgeable players of this franchise's title) the ones inspiring them as to what the game is supposed to look and feel like.

As I judge from their work so far: very good input = these immensely great results. According to the video presentations from Fabrice.

The feedback coming from both the Beta testing and, after the official release should provide immense data flow into their development teams' knowledge base.

By 2007, that very knowledge base should give birth to a wide array of ideas and visions as to how HoMM6 should and could become as a future reality of gameplay for ages and types of PC player of this decade.

Read you around people!
Earth is a large world.
So does our egos and opinions onto everything.

Return to “News”