Map Contest Results

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 30 Aug 2005, 03:00

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1125366989

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Aug 2005, 03:00

Congrats to you Vlaad. It was a close victory, but as PB wrote, the bugs in Draconic broke the tie. I enjoyed playing this map - hope you make another.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 30 Aug 2005, 04:48

Yes, Vlaad, well done and bravo!

All three are very fine maps, each in its own way. I, for one, got a kick out of Lowlands, and appreciate the way Thrash used the map to comment on the state of affairs in Holland. It reminds me of Dragonsister's Heroes III epic, Canberra.

I got sick of fighting that same battle over and over, so I gave up on Draconic 2. Someday, I'll get out the editor and disable that little nuisance and have another go.

I'm only three months into Truth and Justice, and it has been a struggle all the way. I have enjoyed the battles since all the opponents seem to have been customized and present new challenges. I'm at something of a loss as to what I should be doing, so I am just wandering around seeing what battles I might win and hoping to come across a town. I'm short on spells and must have found the crappiest Order Conservatory ever. I have developed a hero with Master Order, who has hardly ever cast a spell. (Fortunately he is also GM Charm so I have oodles of mismatched armies.)

While I've got you here, let me praise War of Eranol, which is now being featured. Had it been entered, it might well have won. A very well designed map.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 30 Aug 2005, 05:59

Interesting that you enjoyed Lowlands, I hope I wasn't too harsh on it. As I said in my review it was pretty much a case study in why I don't like XL maps - long walking, repetitive battles, sparse decoration (by the end, anyway), confusing directions, way too easy. The story seemed to me very minimal in the map, only the slightest of references were made to politics (though I could well have been missing a lot due to my ignorance of dutch politics. Eg, did that 'cheese' quest have a deeper meaning?)

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 30 Aug 2005, 06:36

Well done Vlaad!

@ Psychobabble: I don't think the cheese refered to anything else than Alkmaar being famous for it's 'cheese-market'
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 30 Aug 2005, 12:36

Thanks!!!

I'm having problems with my Round Table account, but I'll post a longer comment in the forums as soon as it is solved.
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 30 Aug 2005, 13:58

There were definitely some things to like about Draconic2 more than Truth and Justice. The storyline and adherance to the theme was much stronger in Draconic2 than in TandJ; in fact some of the story elements in TandJ were downright confusing. Both maps were very nicely decorated, though I think TandJ had more interesting and memorable individual locations (I particularly liked the maze with the renegade elves). Some of the battles in TandJ got repetitive towards the end when my heroes became virtually unstoppable (basically, after I found the hypnotice and berserk spells). The battles in D2 (after that annoying first seige battle which should have been varied somehow) were much more dynamic. Anyway, both maps had a lot to like and some to dislike, but TandJ got my vote because it was bug-free.

The third map was a good first try by a new mapmaker. With more experience, he'll do fine. Maybe the next contest? He shouldn't be discouraged.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 30 Aug 2005, 14:22

I never played TandJ or any of the other maps mentioned above simply because I don't have H4. But as a WoG team member and a WoG mapmaker and player, I am familiar with Vlaads' work. I just wanted to say Congratulations to you Vlaad for your achievment.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 30 Aug 2005, 15:27

Thanks, Steve!

By the way, it would be nice to have all these comments (especially by judges!) in the official contest thread (copy/paste at least).
Cartographer - maps and mapmaking

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 30 Aug 2005, 15:32

Congrats Vlaad...hope that you will give us some more heroes 4 maps soon.
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 30 Aug 2005, 15:46

Well done Vlaad.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

bethrezen_2
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bethrezen_2 » 30 Aug 2005, 19:40

I will start playng right now...let's see...

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 30 Aug 2005, 19:58

Congrats Vlaad! Always good to see a hard-working map-maker get the credit his map deserves. Also, great job to the second and third place winners, remember, there's always next time!
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 30 Aug 2005, 20:41

Congraulations to Vlaad ! I didn't played the map, but it looks very okay for me. Good job...

As for my part, I'm a more than just a little dissapointed. After losing the contest at MapHaven with Draconic 1, now I've lost this one too. Damn, I am having a bad week...

I run out of time finishing my map, and I have to admit that some of the many and unfortunate bugs were just too nasty.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Furay
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Furay » 31 Aug 2005, 02:05

@ Veldrynus. Will you be updating your map in the near future to fix the bugs? No pressure or anything, just keen to play your map (I loved Draconic 1), but don't want to rush in, if the update is just around the corner....

Also, will the map be available as a 2player co-op (I would love to play with my wife), i know the answer is likely no, but I gotta try for her sake (and therefore mine) :)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 Aug 2005, 06:32

Veldrynus, you are undoubtedly one of the very best mapmakers around and do not need an award to prove that. If your map came out the way you wanted it to, you have won the most important victory. Contests help us focus our creative energies, but what matters is having fun making maps and sharing them with others.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 31 Aug 2005, 08:57

Bravo, Vlaad.

So, what's the prize? =]
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 Aug 2005, 14:14

Vlaad will receive two Ubisoft games: "Alexander", which was producer by Fabrice Cambounet, and Settlers V.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 31 Aug 2005, 20:07

@ Furay. An update was posted wich solves the major bugs, but I'm planning another based on the contest feedback. Coop is not possible for this map. Sorry.

@ Charles Watkins. Thanks. It is not about proving something, but winning is a good feeling, and losing not so. Anyway, there is always a next time.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Return to “News”