Ubisoft Posts a New Manual

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 01 Aug 2006, 20:52

They did a phenominal job on this.

I have one question though. In it, it says how in combat, moving diagonal costs 1.41 movement points. It used to be 1.5 which made perfect sense. Who came up with the number 1.41 and why was it changed?

Edited on Tue, Aug 01 2006, 14:52 by King Imp

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 01 Aug 2006, 20:57

Week of Hamster -- Weekly Hamster and Berserk Combat Hamster production doubles.
:lolu:
Week of Whale -- Double growth for Manes and Ghosts.
:| I don't get it.
Week of Antelope and Week of Lion
That's not fair for the antelopes!

page 154:
Inferno Town Ruins -- Ruins of a demon town, destroyed by fire and sword
What is the role of this? I'm thinking it's not a creature bank, or it would have been placed in the Battle Sites section.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Ubisoft Posts a New Manual

Unread postby stijn » 01 Aug 2006, 21:21

King Imp wrote:They did a phenominal job on this.

I have one question though. In it, it says how in combat, moving diagonal costs 1.41 movement points. It used to be 1.5 which made perfect sense. Who came up with the number 1.41 and why was it changed?

Edited on Tue, Aug 01 2006, 14:52 by King Imp
actually the numer 1.41 makes more sense since it's 2^0.5 while 1.5 would be quite arbitrary

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Aug 2006, 21:23

King Imp wrote:I have one question though. In it, it says how in combat, moving diagonal costs 1.41 movement points. It used to be 1.5 which made perfect sense. Who came up with the number 1.41 and why was it changed?
It's always been 1.41 (or rather, it used to be 141). Which makes perfect sense since it's a decent approximation of the square root of two.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 01 Aug 2006, 21:27

theLuckyDragon, a wail is the noises ghosts apparently make. You know that spooooooky sound that makes you cack your dacks? So, that is why the Week of the Whale gives that bonus.

ZireX
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ZireX » 01 Aug 2006, 21:32

Very cool.

My poor printer ... =X

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 01 Aug 2006, 21:43

really neat pictures. found these thumbnails somewhere. click to enlarge
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 01 Aug 2006, 21:45

Doesn't help me a bit.

Still can't beat 17 archdevils with 5 sprites. :mad:

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 01 Aug 2006, 21:53

Think they had editor, or Nival send them some pics that are not in game. Atleast they look that way...map objects that is.

Anyway, there is snow in game.

And still have to encounter these...

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 01 Aug 2006, 22:20

Ryder wrote:theLuckyDragon, a wail is the noises ghosts apparently make. You know that spooooooky sound that makes you cack your dacks? So, that is why the Week of the Whale gives that bonus.
Oh, it's a homonym! Now it makes sense. :loll:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 01 Aug 2006, 22:37

About the ATB, which experiences did you make to test it Pitsu? because I think it must be really hard to do any test, as the ATB value is not visible and the turns don't stop right after your move, but when the next unit has it's turn.

On the other hand there's the possibility that the threshold value is never exceeded, and the unit that is getting the turn has reached the exact value. That makes both "theories" the same.
Edited on Tue, Aug 01 2006, 16:38 by Vitirr

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 01 Aug 2006, 22:40

Something kinda worries me. That is this whole "Seal of Approval" thing in regards to maps.

Are they going to forbid places like CH from making maps available unless they are given this seal?

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 01 Aug 2006, 22:51

Of course not King Imp.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 01 Aug 2006, 23:33

Oh, how generous of Ubisoft - "This manual is the first and only work to have received the UbiSoft seal of approval..." Wow, guys! How great is that? We got their seal of approval. Oh boy! I have only one question: Where can I get someone to do my job for free? Ubisoft should have produced a COMPLETE manual and included it with the original game - ANY version of the game!

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Aug 2006, 01:48

Very nice production values and some new content (adventure objects). I especially like the concise creature tables and the skill 'plumbing' charts. However, hero special descriptions are rather vague.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 02 Aug 2006, 03:05

addicted at 2006-08-01 13:51 wrote: hope they got paid for their work..

Angelspit at 2006-08-01 14:00 wrote: Sorry to disappoint you, but they did not... Let's hope this isn't a new trend in the PC gaming industry, cutting the content of the manual knowing that some fans somewhere will eventually create a replacement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless the fans but too bad the world is sinking to fall into such traps. You know the more the fans do, the more the industry is going to take advantage of it, why not, it's more money in their (companies) pockets, they aren't stupid. This is a good example.. how sad it is.. Next they will want the fans to make a patch to fix all the bugs, etc. for them, free of charge of course!!!
Edited on Tue, Aug 01 2006, 21:15 by addicted
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Aug 2006, 04:20

Wow!Invalid compressed data to inflate.Meh...It still beats the old manual :devil:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 02 Aug 2006, 05:01

i think this is pretty pathetic .... good business move in terms of money saving, poor in terms of customer perception - you can't even produce a decent manual by yourself, you need the fans to do it ....

oh my lord
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 02 Aug 2006, 07:58

Vitirr wrote:About the ATB, which experiences did you make to test it Pitsu? because I think it must be really hard to do any test, as the ATB value is not visible and the turns don't stop right after your move, but when the next unit has it's turn.
One can of course use spells and check the difference in duration beteween creature actions if one wants to test it.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Romla
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Romla » 02 Aug 2006, 08:53

I think you are too tough to the developers of the game. The game and the manual (from developers) will never be perfect! But I think the game is nevertheless very good and you should be pleased that the game exist at all. There are mistakes, but I know games which ends much worse. And it is normal that strategic game like this has many patches - for example Starcraft has over 13 patches and four were changing the game rules and balance - and not only I think that Starcraft was one of the greatest real time strategies ever. And it is also common that when the game is good and sophisticated then the fans do better manuals (or guides) then developers of the game...

Return to “News”