Of 1.3 and Maps

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Jul 2006, 04:02

there's more than one thing a little scary about that post LordErtz
1.3 should include the editor
in case it wasn't obvious, I bolded the troubling word!!

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 26 Jul 2006, 04:08

stefan.urlus wrote:there's more than one thing a little scary about that post LordErtz
1.3 should include the editor
in case it wasn't obvious, I bolded the troubling word!!

:( :ill:

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby Campaigner » 26 Jul 2006, 13:42

You peeps still have hope for this game..? Hahahaha

Nah, I've lost mine. Desig decisions and campaign design that I don't agree with.

v.1.3 should fix include the mapeditor....yeah, and v.1.2 was supposed to fix multiplayer!
Edited on Wed, Jul 26 2006, 07:44 by Campaigner

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby addicted » 26 Jul 2006, 15:36

Yep, Nival 'baits' the hook, and we 'bite'!!!!!!!!
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 26 Jul 2006, 15:38

Caradoc wrote:QD, I seriously doubt there will be a random map generator any time soon, if ever. Gus Smerstedt was the genius behind the Heroes III RMG and he made a presentation on what goes into one. It looks like a lot of work and a major test effort. If Nival does one, I think we can be sure it will be in a supplement, not a patch.
Did you read my post? I said the RMG in H3 was added in AB. AB was an expansion pack *Not* a patch. The person I replied to said it was in a patch.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby Sikon » 26 Jul 2006, 17:12

1.2 did signiificantly improve multiplayer.

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby astral76minor » 26 Jul 2006, 17:53

It is time to put Homm5 on the shelf for a year (or so) and say hello again to Homm4 and the new Equilibris patch coming soon!

Too bad Nival forgot important features in Homm4.

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby HellSpawn » 26 Jul 2006, 18:35

You're right Astral, I'm going back to homm4 also.

The patch was very disapointing, because they focused on changing things that were'nt really necessary.

And their are still bugs that haven't been fixed.

I think Homm4 should've been used as a template for 5.
Holding on is easier, then letting go.

bob1760
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby bob1760 » 26 Jul 2006, 22:24

It's hard to keep up hope. If I were lawyer I'd be thinking class action suit. Basically the developers took advantage of a huge fan base that was willing to buy first, ask questions later and then sold us something that does not even resemble a quality finished computer game. I don't see how this is any different from any other scam. It's like an investment scam where you are sold worthless property after being promised it was very valuable and was a great investment.

I don't see how anyone could argue that we got what we paid for when we bought the game. No matter how you look at it the devlopers are either incompentant or downright dishonest. In either case this is fraud.

Any lawyers out there? :-)

Shad0WeN
Pixie
Pixie

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby Shad0WeN » 28 Jul 2006, 14:23

@bob

let's not jump the gun now.... if you or anyone else honestly think this is bad then you have obviously never played any of EA/DICE's games like Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2... you wanna talk about incomplete games and bugs? 20 times worse.... and from what I have heard they aren't alone in that distinction. I understand this sort of thing can be frustrating at times but very few people understand how this business works and the importance of deadlines and their effect on revenue.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with a lot of the criticism because I speak from personal experience when I say that I have seen a lot worse situations. As someone who first got into this series with Heroes 2 and then later Heroes 3, I honestly think Nival has pretty good job all things considered. I think the committment to monthly updates was a great piece of news and is something that is for the most part unheard of in this industry. Only ATI comes to mind with their monthly video card driver updates. At this point in time I can't really agree with most of the criticism and crybabies and as long as Ubi/Nival doesn't so something really stupid I don't see that changing.
Edited on Fri, Jul 28 2006, 08:34 by Shad0WeN

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 28 Jul 2006, 15:15

I think the design in the game is mostly dreadful, but as far as bugs go it's not that bad. As Shadowen says, there have been lots worse.

Not that that is any sort of excuse for doing shoddy work, but calling the entire game a scam seems a bit rash ;)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Dakobstah
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Of 1.3 and Maps

Unread postby Dakobstah » 30 Jul 2006, 18:27

Just because there are worse games doesn't mean that this one isn't bad. That's like saying "Well, he only murdered one hundred people...others have murdered thousands...therefore he must actually be a good guy."

Why is there so much negativity about this game? The problem is the publisher and developers attitude towards the game. Previously each part of the series ADDED something new to the series while INCLUDING all of the things that made the series great (like a Map Editor). In this game, the devs decided to release a game that not only didn't add anything beyond 3D, but actually LACKED many important features that all previous versions of the game had (like a map editor). Their rationale is that they could always just patch it in later...therefore it was completely acceptable to deliver an incomplete game to the fans. Now tell me, why should I be grateful that they purposely launched an incomplete game and are trying to make it the game I bought through monthly patches which aren't even released monthly? Customer support starts with the basic product and the company's attitude towards both it and the consumers, not with the company's ability to slap bandaids on disasters they have purposely created. When a company consistently screws over its consumers they are going to be sceptacle...after all, what if the "Map Editor" is released in the same state the game was with the decision that "We can always patch in the features that players have always liked about it later."
Edited on Sun, Jul 30 2006, 12:28 by Dakobstah

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 30 Jul 2006, 18:49

Sorry, but I don't see this game as bad and I have been around since the series began. I have also played tons of other games. Are there some issues left to be addressed? Yes.

All games produced now have lots of patchs. Period. Period. Period.

For me the game has been relatively bug free. I experienced a combat going real for a round instead of turn based in one of the campaign maps but that has been the extent of bugs for me.

There will be a map editor and the company seems to want to please the customer. Otherwise it would not still be working on patches, maps, and the editor.

As has always been the case, the best maps will be made by the fans.

Give it a chance. Its like HOMM4. A lot of people never gave it a chance but it's really a great game, especially with Equilibris.

GOW

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 30 Jul 2006, 20:14

Well, for them to meet their deadline of "the end of the month," they would have to send us our maps via email tomorrow.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2006, 20:52

I wonder how many patches there will be... one day they'll have to start working on an expansion, but I found it positive when they referred to it as "monthly updates" rather than "patches". Sort of sounds like they plan to release updates for some time into the future, containing not only fixes but other cool things...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 30 Jul 2006, 20:58

Kalah wrote:I wonder how many patches there will be... one day they'll have to start working on an expansion, but I found it positive when they referred to it as "monthly updates" rather than "patches". Sort of sounds like they plan to release updates for some time into the future, containing not only fixes but other cool things...
Propaganda my friend, propaganda.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2006, 21:35

Possibly. But frankly, I don't attribute Nival or Ubi with such intelligence that they issued this wording knowing we'd reason the way I just described, hoping for more than they were planning to give us to begin with. I think they're planning several updates, even after the expansion - diminishing in size though they may be.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Jul 2006, 21:56

WH40k orks. They lack inteligence, but have a great deal of cunning. This could also be the case here.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2006, 22:06

Man, these guys can't even use the possessive case suffix... Man, they can't spell!

Return to “News”