New Patch for Digital Purchases

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Jul 2006, 17:49

Ubisoft has released a new patch today, but unfortunately it is not the one that most of you are expecting. Patch 1.01 is for the people who purchased and downloaded Heroes of Might and Magic V online (at a site such as <a href="/http://www.direct2drive.com/">Direct2Drive</a>), as some players reported that the standard patch doesn't work with a digitally purchased version. The new patch will bring the digitally purchased game in sync with the regular retail version. You can pick it up at <a href="/http://www.3dgamers.com/games/heroesmig ... loads/">3D Gamers</a> or <a href="/http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/her ... ameSpot</a>. Look for a file labelled "online" or "download" if you bought a download, or "retail" if you bought a boxed copy of the game.

Again, the filename and the version number in the readme don't match (1.1 <i>and</i> 1.01). Let's hope Ubisoft can get their naming convention straight for patch 1.2.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1152812942
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 13 Jul 2006, 18:58

Well even if it isnt the 1.2 patch it is support so ill take that as a good sign of things to come. I do find it odd that the digital dl version is different.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Jul 2006, 19:04

Speaking of 1.2, tomorrow is the national holiday in France so you can forget about a patch for this week.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 13 Jul 2006, 19:26

Really what holiday?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jul 2006, 19:33

I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume it the National Holiday of France. Based on completly nothing. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 13 Jul 2006, 19:38

Sorry i meant does it have any other name, or an event on which it is based.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 13 Jul 2006, 19:43

Bastille Day! Alons enfants de la patrie!

I imagine the 1.01 numbering is a stopgap. They have temporarily split their source tree and expect to converge again at 1.2, which had already been announced.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

fiur
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fiur » 13 Jul 2006, 21:38

I'm beginning to be pretty sure about there will not be any patch before the mapeditor are included..... (waiting for a multiplayer game that works....) :(

Since the release date for 1.2 are "long" gone..... I guess they will release a patch thats include the mapeditor...... maybe I'm wrong....

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 13 Jul 2006, 21:54

Thank you Caradoc. My stance regarding the patches/map editor is they will be out when theyre out. My only real hope is they fix some of the more messed up issues, for example the one this thread is about, yes i know its just been fixed but ones like it.

Duckass
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duckass » 14 Jul 2006, 01:52

Having played Battlefield 2 on a high competive level, I don't mind the delayed patches. One of the patches for BF2 by Dice/EA fixed 8 bugs and created 40 new in the progress. It took them one year to remove an exploit that was being used by the beta testers, and soon they'll be releasing a new game using the same game engine after three crappy expansions.

So guys, they'r probably delaying it to improve the patch. I'll rather wait a while than getting the kind of patches I got with bf2 ;|

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Jul 2006, 03:24

It's good to know that they're addressing functionality issues.

As far as patch numbers, they could always drop the numbers altogether and go with code names: "Patch 'Rubber Duck Mali - Sneeze and Handkerchief' will be released in September." I can see it now...:)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 14 Jul 2006, 10:57

If they delay it and improving then sure, go right ahead! Just TELL US first! I mean, creating a thread where they say what they're adding isn't that hard....it's not knowing that's the bad thing.

Duckass
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duckass » 14 Jul 2006, 11:21

By saying exactly what they're working on, they might get even more disliked if they can't finish that in time, or if at all due to balancing reasons.

They are doing the patch, I'm glad their taking their time testing them.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jul 2006, 11:35

Duckass wrote: They are doing the patch, I'm glad their taking their time testing them.
Makes you wonder why they didnt take their time testing the game before the release.Whenever I think about it,logic tells me that its the game that should be thoroughly tested and polished before its released,and that the patches should come as often as needed.But lots of their decisions are illogical to me,so...

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Jul 2006, 13:41

The answer's probably somewhere in the marketing/economics department. The same thing happens at my job; I'm part of production, trying to ensure the quality of the product, and marketing keeps screwing us over with unrealistic deadlines. :)

But a patch has nothing directly to do with marketing since it's not for sale. Perhaps that could account for the newfound capacity for extra delay?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Duckass
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duckass » 14 Jul 2006, 15:04

They lose money by delaying the game, but not by delaying a patch. Simple as that.

sisko
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sisko » 14 Jul 2006, 15:37

since it says, it brings the DL version "in sync"with the retail version, i would assume that you can install patch 1.1 áfter 1.01, so the name would be correct. Can anyone verify?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Jul 2006, 16:19

Patch 1.1 was also called 1.01 on some places, so they just made the same error twice. So it's the same patch.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 14 Jul 2006, 19:01

Maybe it's not an error...maybe they are going to release 9 more patches to make it v 1.1...just to scratch the surface lol :P

Return to “News”