Nival Answers: Part Trois

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.

Moderators: Moderators, Celestial Heavens Staff

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jul 3 2006, 21:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:Are you saying that every single person in the world can be a proffesional football player?


Yes. This is more about practice. Pele and Maradona they might not be, but pro anyone ca be, with practice. :tongue:


DaemianLucifer wrote:Or a great musician?


No. Talent is just talent. Sure, nowadays they can just fake it, but that doesn't make them great musicians.

As everyone can get those skills to get to the ultimate talent isn't required.

I find the fact that some heroes can't get it no matter what to be idiotic. It doesn't serve any other purpose except to not allow Findan to get the overpowered sylvan one. It also sounds like a lame excuse Nival came up with after the fact.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Image

User avatar
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 1780
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Marble Falls Texas

Nival Answers: Part Trois

Postby Caradoc » Jul 4 2006, 4:09

The Skeleton Archer problem is actually a result of several unbalanced features coming together -- the startlingly high resurrection rate, the ability to raise Archers directly, and the permanent Raise Dead spell. I would like to see all these addressed so that the Necro would get a fair number of Skellies but need to return to town to buy upgrades. You could still build a large force, but not out of proportion to what Haven can do with its jumped up Peasants. And you would not be able to build a monster army for free.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie
Posts: 1006
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Bandobras Took » Jul 4 2006, 6:17

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Are you saying that every single person in the world can be a proffesional football player?


Yes. This is more about practice. Pele and Maradona they might not be, but pro anyone ca be, with practice. :tongue:


Err . . . no. I definitely could not make it into the NBA, and it doesn't matter how hard I practice.

ThunderTitan wrote:I find the fact that some heroes can't get it no matter what to be idiotic. It doesn't serve any other purpose except to not allow Findan to get the overpowered sylvan one. It also sounds like a lame excuse Nival came up with after the fact.


Yes, we've established that. But what purpose would allowing every single hero to get it serve?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jul 4 2006, 10:23

Bandobras Took wrote:Yes, we've established that. But what purpose would allowing every single hero to get it serve?


Making people feel good about it? Allowing people to actualy chose to go for it or not no matter what heroes show up in the tavern in the first week?


Bandobras Took wrote:Err . . . no. I definitely could not make it into the NBA, and it doesn't matter how hard I practice.


Yeah, you'd also need to take steroids and growth hormones. :tonguehands:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 478
Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Location: Lithuania

Postby Meandor » Jul 4 2006, 10:30

Making people feel good about it? Allowing people to actualy chose to go for it or not no matter what heroes show up in the tavern in the first week?


Select a hero before game starts.
...

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jul 4 2006, 10:52

Meandor wrote:Select a hero before game starts.


That's exactly my problem. You have to chose before you even begin playing. Like it wasn't enough that some specialities are way better then others.
It doesn't make getting the U any harder, just makes you have to chose hero X. Annoying.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury
Posts: 478
Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Location: Lithuania

Postby Meandor » Jul 4 2006, 11:04

Well the same problem was in H3 with hero special "skills". Problem was solved in H4, but hey, H4 is source of all what is evil and must die.
...

User avatar
Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie
Posts: 1011
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Flying the skies of Ohlam

Postby Qurqirish Dragon » Jul 4 2006, 13:33

Meandor wrote:Well the same problem was in H3 with hero special "skills". Problem was solved in H4, but hey, H4 is source of all what is evil and must die.


I disagree with that. In H3, some specialties were better or worse, but all heroes of the same class had the same chances of getting that class's abilities.
The "same" problem in H3 would have been something like:
"solmyr cannot learn air magic"
Yes, he starts with chain lightning, but cannot improve it!

This corresponds to, say Findan, who can get all the skills for Nature's Luck, but starts with an ability that prevents this.

As for selecting heroes, 99% of the time I like to play with a random starting hero, to get extra variety. so if I want to go for an UA, then I have to rely on luck of the draw.

User avatar
LordErtz
Demon
Demon
Posts: 348
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Postby LordErtz » Jul 4 2006, 17:00

Guys, you seem to be arguing about different things.

I think one camp is arguing that you can choose ANY hero during most scenarios and multiplayer maps (and random maps hopefully soon). And that you choose based on whether you want to go for it or not.

Others are saying that the campaign and other scenarios and taverns do not allow you to get a hero that can get the ulti unless you are LUCKY. And these people do not wish to base their stats or their ability to get the ulti on luck...

see? Different maps, different hero options, different complaints and arguments.

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Jul 4 2006, 19:57

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:I disagree with that. In H3, some specialties were better or worse, but all heroes of the same class had the same chances of getting that class's abilities.
The "same" problem in H3 would have been something like:
"solmyr cannot learn air magic"
Yes, he starts with chain lightning, but cannot improve it!

This corresponds to, say Findan, who can get all the skills for Nature's Luck, but starts with an ability that prevents this.


No thats not what it is.Its more like "My solmyr can learn expert air magic,but I simply cannot find the orb of firmament,even though it is on the map,and thats not fair!"

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jul 4 2006, 20:05

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its more like "My solmyr can learn expert air magic,but I simply cannot find the orb of firmament,even though it is on the map,and thats not fair!"


No, as everyone can get the orb if it's available. It like Solmyr can't use the orb even if it's there.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Jul 4 2006, 20:18

ThunderTitan wrote: No, as everyone can get the orb if it's available. It like Solmyr can't use the orb even if it's there.


Not if the quest required to get it is "Solmyr is defeated".Preventing a hero from getting the ultimate is just like preventing,for example,cathrene from appearing in the tavern.

User avatar
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 23263
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Now/here
Contact:

Postby ThunderTitan » Jul 4 2006, 21:21

DaemianLucifer wrote:Not if the quest required to get it is "Solmyr is defeated".Preventing a hero from getting the ultimate is just like preventing,for example,cathrene from appearing in the tavern.


And you lost me. WHAT?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!

I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €


Image

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Jul 5 2006, 1:13

ThunderTitan wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Not if the quest required to get it is "Solmyr is defeated".Preventing a hero from getting the ultimate is just like preventing,for example,cathrene from appearing in the tavern.


And you lost me. WHAT?


Campaign heroes cannot be played on random maps by default.They have to be enabled by the mapmaker.This is the same thing.

User avatar
CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus
Posts: 808
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: USA

Nival Answers: Part Trois

Postby CloudRiderX » Jul 9 2006, 2:57

"The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it."

Wow, wow, this is truly pathetic. I haven't even really been paying close attention to the news for a while, and I always see people wondering, asking, even demanding the H3 Kingdom Overview back. I wonder if Ubi/Nival even look at this website's comments....

Also, what is this 'selling artifacts' idea? I thought that was an idea already implemented into the game. Uh oh, what else have they left out?
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Re: Nival Answers: Part Trois

Postby DaemianLucifer » Jul 9 2006, 4:41

CloudRiderX wrote:
Also, what is this 'selling artifacts' idea? I thought that was an idea already implemented into the game. Uh oh, what else have they left out?


What we have is that you can buy artifacts,but you cannot sell the ones you dont need.Thats a nice idea never before implemented in heroes,so Im for it.

User avatar
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6972
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Solna

Postby Gaidal Cain » Jul 9 2006, 9:21

Actually it was in H3 ;) It was horribly bugged though (you could get it to pay the price of the most valuable artifact you had for all artifacts in your backpack :| ), and never fixed by NWC.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Jul 9 2006, 17:07

Gaidal Cain wrote:Actually it was in H3 ;) It was horribly bugged though (you could get it to pay the price of the most valuable artifact you had for all artifacts in your backpack :| ), and never fixed by NWC.


It was?Where?The only thing I remember is the artifact for XP(the sacrificial pit)

User avatar
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 4883
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby theLuckyDragon » Jul 9 2006, 17:13

There's an Artifact Merchant in Dungeon, Tower and Conflux towns.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

User avatar
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 11282
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: City 17

Postby DaemianLucifer » Jul 9 2006, 17:20

theLuckyDragon wrote:There's an Artifact Merchant in Dungeon, Tower and Conflux towns.


Yes but there you bought artifacts,didt sell them.


Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 8 guests