Nival Answers: Part Trois

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 01 Jul 2006, 16:39

A Nival representative known as "<a href="/http://forums.nival.com/rus/member.php?u=55055">Old Boy</a>" continues to post answers on the Russian Nival forums. Here is a summary:<ul>

<li>The ability to sell artifacts was considered, but they ran out of time. It will possibly be implemented in the future.</li>

<li>There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be <b>very</b> hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.</li>

<li>The Death Knights will not return to the Necropolis town.</li>

<li>Vampires drain their victims' "vital essense" instead of blood, which explains why they can drain life from undead. In case of undead, the vital essense is the magical energy that keeps them going.</li>

<li>It is possible that the paperdoll will be implemented later, but it isn't known for sure.</li>

<li>They had ideas to implement raising zombies or ghosts instead of skeletons, and it is possible that they will implement it.</li>

<li>If every faction has access to warror and mage hero classes, the differences between the factions and their unique abilities will have less significance.</li>

<li>The editor, which they will try to release before August, will have many possibilities besides just creating maps. The game resources were deliberately made open for editing to encourage modding.</li>

<li>Implementing a "use system font" setting is, at this point, technically difficult. Besides, the current font was suggested by Ubisoft as the one true font.</li>

<li>The ability of non-Haven factions to effectively use Haven Training will be corrected.</li>

<li>The alleged incompatibility between saves in different patches only means that saves will not benefit from changes made to the corresponding map (however, in a campaign, loading an old save and finishing the mission will transfer the player to a patched version of the next mission). They can still be loaded.</li>

<li>Adding an "X close" button to pop-up windows is problematic. Use Esc or Cancel.</li>

<li>No hotkeys will be introduced to the main menu.</li>

<li>The first aid tent only heals a limited number of times to discourage the player from skipping turns just to resurrect some creatures.</li>

<li>Alternate methods of "troops delivery" are in development.</li>

<li>The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it.</li>

<li>

</ul>

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1151771966

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Nival Answers: Part Trois

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 16:53

Sikon wrote:
<li>The ability to sell artifacts was considered, but they ran out of time. It will possibly be implemented in the future.</li>
Thats good to know.
Sikon wrote:
<li>There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be <b>very</b> hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.</li>
Funny,but I agree with this.
Sikon wrote:
<li>Vampires drain their victims' "vital essense" instead of blood, which explains why they can drain life from undead. In case of undead, the vital essense is the magical energy that keeps them going.</li>
Yes,but why are they unable to draw essence from constructs,too?They have magic in their bodies as well.Poor exuse,that doesnt hold water.
Sikon wrote:
<li>It is possible that the paperdoll will be implemented later, but it isn't known for sure.</li>
So no,it wont be back.*sigh*!Another great feature lost.
Sikon wrote:
<li>They had ideas to implement raising zombies or ghosts instead of skeletons, and it is possible that they will implement it.</li>
Somehow I think the people will still raise only skel archers.Whats the point in having millions of zombies if a level one hero can beat them using a single sprite?
Sikon wrote:
<li>If every faction has access to warror and mage hero classes, the differences between the factions and their unique abilities will have less significance.</li>
Meaning:"Its too much work for us to make them unique".
Sikon wrote:
<li>The editor, which they will try to release before August, will have many possibilities besides just creating maps. The game resources were deliberately made open for editing to encourage modding.</li>
Thats good to know.
Sikon wrote:
<li>Adding an "X close" button to pop-up windows is problematic. Use Esc or Cancel.</li>
Its problematic because? :|
Sikon wrote:
<li>No hotkeys will be introduced to the main menu.</li>
Why?If they already love hotkeyes so much to have them even without the buttons,whats the problem with a few more?
Sikon wrote:
<li>The first aid tent only heals a limited number of times to discourage the player from skipping turns just to resurrect some creatures.</li>
This couldve been done in so many different ways.Also,what about hydras and vampires?What about other exploits using wait?
Sikon wrote:
<li>Alternate methods of "troops delivery" are in development.</li>
We shall see how this plays out.
Sikon wrote:
<li>The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it.</li>
:| :| :| No one asked for it??!!! 8| 8| 8|
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 01 Jul 2006, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 01 Jul 2006, 17:01

Oops, misspelled warrior and essence. Corrected.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 17:21

"There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be very hard to get, and only in ideal conditions."

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. There's a diference between hard and impossible.
And are Ultimates just efing easter eggs or something? Coz they seem that way from that comment.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Jul 2006, 17:24

DL wrote:

Yes,but why are they unable to draw essence from constructs,too?They have magic in their bodies as well.Poor exuse,that doesnt hold water.

Constructions use energy while living and undead use life essence.

Did you really think that vampires drink blood from their swords?
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 01 Jul 2006, 17:26

ThunderTitan wrote:
"There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be very hard to get, and only in ideal conditions."

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. There's a diference between hard and impossible.
Given that we've already got screenshots of people who have gotten ultimate abilities, the stupidest thing I ever heard was you just claiming it's impossible. :baby:

Selling artifacts sounds cheerful. I look forward to it.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 17:28

Bandobras Took wrote: Given that we've already got screenshots of people who have gotten ultimate abilities, the stupidest thing I ever heard was you just claiming it's impossible. :baby:

Pay more atention.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 17:35

Sauron wrote:
Constructions use energy while living and undead use life essence.

Did you really think that vampires drink blood from their swords?
No,undead dont use life essence.They are as alive as constructs.If they used the same life force as the living ones,then the death cloud should affect them(and strangley it doesnt,even though it affects constructs),also,they could be resurrected and have undead risen from them.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 17:42

The Cloud could just use something that only hurts undamaged/non-undead matter. They should have just said it's a balance feature.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Jul 2006, 17:50

No,undead dont use life essence.They are as alive as constructs.If they used the same life force as the living ones,then the death cloud should affect them(and strangley it doesnt,even though it affects constructs),also,they could be resurrected and have undead risen from them.

They use the same essence. The only difference is in that that they don't have brains and those that still have it (liches and vampires) don't fear death any longer.

Death Cloud is poison and it can't affect the essence. Only the metabolic system.

And it isn't the balance isue. They didn't want vampires who attack with claws as they look stupid and some of theme obviously think that they deserve more. Like sword. A shiny sword!
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 17:58

Sauron wrote:
They use the same essence. The only difference is in that that they don't have brains and those that still have it (liches and vampires) don't fear death any longer.
So youre saying that a magically animated bone uses the same life essence as a live human?What about bone golems then?
Sauron wrote:

Death Cloud is poison and it can't affect the essence. Only the metabolic system.

Then why does it affect constructs?And dont tell me it is acid,because it would affect undead as well.
Sauron wrote:
And it isn't the balance isue. They didn't want vampires who attack with claws as they look stupid and some of theme obviously think that they deserve more. Like sword. A shiny sword!
Why?I think HIII vampires beat these guys.They dont look stupid,they are the best.But,thats my oppinion.Make an evolution poll,and lets see what the majority thinks.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 01 Jul 2006, 17:58

Missed one answer. There will be snow terrain.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 01 Jul 2006, 18:06

MAYBE the liches are just able to CONTROL their magic, so that the acid is only aimed at enemies...

Nah... that makes too much sense to be true...

And vampires with sword would be fine if and only if they still said "blah" when they attacked.

sisko
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby sisko » 01 Jul 2006, 18:22

No one asked for map overview???!!! Should we have to then? It's so obvious. And enough people want it in, INCLUDING ME!!

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 01 Jul 2006, 18:36

I agree with DL on the whole two types of heroes thing. It has nothing to do with abilities having less significance. It's more like too much work for them that they didn't want to invest time in.

As for the First Aid tent, that really annoys me. How can anyone say that 3 turns is enough for that? And the whole "discourages the player from skipping turns" argument holds no water. Unless of course you are the developers that after all this time still don't get the idea that Heroes is not a game meant to be finished as quickly as possible. If a major battle takes 1/2 hour, then I say that's beautiful. What's the sense in having the FA tent if it will sit there and do nothing ater the first 5 minutes?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 Jul 2006, 18:39

I guess there would be someone complaining if the vamps started to say blah! I have nothing against these new vamps anyway. beats the previous ones flashy or not.

"The ability of non-Haven factions to effectively use Haven Training will be corrected."

Well thats good to hear.

"Alternate methods of "troops delivery" are in development."

I smell caravan long way here :D

"If every faction has access to warrior and mage hero classes, the differences between the factions and their unique abilities will have less significance."

Agree. its good enough as it is.

No Map overview?

Bah! have never had any use of it, not even in H3, so fine by me :tounge:

"They had ideas to implement raising zombies or ghosts instead of skeletons, and it is possible that they will implement it."

Raising ghosts will be useful but zombies?? Well see, they are only worth as meat shields for the skelly archers.

"The editor, which they will try to release before August, will have many possibilities besides just creating maps. The game resources were deliberately made open for editing to encourage modding."

Ah! This is great, plenty mods in the horizon :D

But Im agree with the whole first aid thing, its just lame that it only heals up to 3 times, even with res its not enough and far from overpowered.
Edited on Sat, Jul 01 2006, 12:42 by Orfinn

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 01 Jul 2006, 18:40

There is nothing wrong in giving heroes starting abilities that prevent them from reaching the ultimate. Ultimates are meant to be very hard to get, and only in ideal conditions.

OMG, is he brain dead? So the only way I can get the "ultimate" is if I choose the only heroe(s) that can even get it? LAAAAAAAAAME

Also, if I may say about the first aid tent....WHAT IS THE POINT OF GOING FOR WAR MACHINES!!! If we have a first aid tent W/O war machines, it will do 30 hp healing total, the end. CRAP. If we have Expert war machines, it will do 300 MAX.. That HARDLY seems wasting a skill slot on war machines, unless it was a continual thing. Does anybody else think the first aid tent dying by a sprite flicking it is compensation for the tent to have unlimited healing?!?!?!
Edited on Sat, Jul 01 2006, 12:47 by LordErtz

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jul 2006, 18:58

"If every faction has access to warrior and mage hero classes, the differences between the factions and their unique abilities will have less significance."
Translation: Were too lazy to try and make it work!

Seriously, all they need to do is tweek the % chance of geting stats at lvl up (one might say that would make factions even more different). And make another hero model. But i guess that's too hard.

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 01 Jul 2006, 18:58

The map overview mode from Heroes III is unlikely to be introduced because nobody asked for it.

Nobody asked? Well, perhaps, if we kindly ask a free expansion, they'll grant it :D

Lower first aid tent initiative, for all I care, but at least plague tent should be something usefull... If you can only use it thrice...
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Jul 2006, 19:26

reynaert wrote:
Nobody asked? Well, perhaps, if we kindly ask a free expansion, they'll grant it :D
If enough of us ask,who knows?

Starting petition to get a free expansion :devil:

Return to “News”