My H5-rant\whine (long post)

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jun 2006, 11:24

DaemianLucifer wrote: It doesnt turn to face the attacker,it faces just left or right and strikes up or down.
...based on where it's attacker comes from. Your reasoning here is baffling. They do turn against their attacker even though the graphics aren't intricately detailed.
DaemianLucifer wrote: Also,I prefer units not turning their backs to each other like they again do.
Now there I can agree. Like in H4, they stay they way they turned, and turning your back on a shooter means you're no longer blocking it. Allowed for lot of tactics where you try t leave your shooters free, by distracting attackers from behind etc.
DaemianLucifer wrote: Sure,it might look nice,but I still am in favour of small tiles.Leaves for many different sizes,more movement paths(thus more tactics),and doesnt require that much work(though it does require some work).
I don't have a problem with small tiles, I think it's a good solution. And small tiles may very well be square. My complaint is with huge and square tiles. If you choose big tiles, I think they should be hexagonal. And I think that could work just as well as small, but I don't burn strongly for either solution as long as it's done "right".
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Jun 2006, 12:25

Ethric wrote:Go and play a heroes game prior to H4, and note how the creatures taking up 2x1 hexagons turn against their attacker without any problem arising. Then we can discuss this more afterwards.
That's because they're 2d charcters. They're flat. You don't need to see where their tail goes when they turn around, but in H5 and thus most likely H6 as well, you does. You go and play H4 and note how there aren't any creatures that take up an oblong space, even if their animation suggests that they could.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jun 2006, 13:19

Oh you were talking about bodyparts going through other creatures, obstacles etc *as* they turn? I was only referring to their positioning after the turning. But sure, that could be a problem, if you make the characters "stiff" when they turn. On the other hand, if you first have decided to do it in 3d, you hould make sure that you are up to the task of making convincing 3d-models, that do look and move in a natural\logical\realistic way.
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 13:52

Ethric wrote:Oh you were talking about bodyparts going through other creatures, obstacles etc *as* they turn? I was only referring to their positioning after the turning. But sure, that could be a problem, if you make the characters "stiff" when they turn. On the other hand, if you first have decided to do it in 3d, you hould make sure that you are up to the task of making convincing 3d-models, that do look and move in a natural\logical\realistic way.
But that would require actual work :devil:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Jun 2006, 13:58

I tink it would be rather much work if they needed to create one turn animation for cases where there is free space and another when there isn't (which they'd have to do if it's to look naturally). Besides, I miss the H4 feature were creatures didn't turn back after attacking, which would mean that the need for symmetric models is even greater.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Jun 2006, 14:45

Something would have to be close to impossible before I'd accept "to much work to do" as a valid argument against a feature :) And making dynamic animaions based on circumstance doesnt' seem *that* hard.

On the other hand, it wouldn't really bother me if it was made so that creatures occasionally moved parts of themselves "through" other stacks or obstacles, if that was the only fault.
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Jun 2006, 15:48

Return to “News”