Join the Dark Messiah Beta

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 May 2006, 00:46

Ubisoft is now accepting registrations for a Dark Messiah of Might and Magic beta test. The number of seats is limited. You will need a powerful computer to participate, as well as a free <a href="/http://steampowered.com/">Steam</a> account. If you are interested, fill the form <a href="/https://secure.ubi.com/login/?lang=en-G ... 6">here</a>.

Speaking of Dark Messiah, an Arkane Studios director has been spotted on the <a href="/http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... ">official forum</a>, under the name of <b>raf_arkane</b> (Rafael Colantonio maybe?). Hopefully the beta test will be a good opportunity to get in touch with the development team.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1148518006
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 25 May 2006, 02:22

Steam?!

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

socketboy
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby socketboy » 25 May 2006, 04:56

Steam? YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love steam. Way better than starforce or something like that.

Anyway, I can't wait to try this game out!

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 25 May 2006, 05:23

lol

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 25 May 2006, 06:57

How did Ubisoft ever agree to use Steam? It basically puts Valve in control of every copy sold, even though Valve has nothing to do with the game besides providing the engine.

SirGalrim
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SirGalrim » 25 May 2006, 08:53

Steam was of'course no suprise as the game uses Valve technology and is buildt up around steam.

Further it is only a phublisign platform and gives Valve no more controll of the game than what they already have. Besides if you refuse to use steam I'll bet my computer that the game will also will be physical avaliable when it ships.
"Never seen you. I don't even know your name. But still I belive.. That you are gonna save me!"
- juveth.no

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 25 May 2006, 09:29

This game is NOT BUILT AROUND STEAM. Source and Steam are unrelated things. A game can use Source, but not Steam, and vice versa.

Besides, even retail versions are likely to require Steam activation, as it was the case for Half-Life 2. Steam is not "just a publishing platform", it's also DRM.
Edited on Thu, May 25 2006, 03:32 by Sikon

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 25 May 2006, 10:18

Oh my f****ng spaghetti monster! O_o

Steam is the worst thing that could have happened to the world of software!

I DO and STRONGLY hope that the game is not using steam. I'd really run havoc if it was.

@SirGalrim: The thing about Steam is not where you get your game from - the binary via steam or the DVD out of the box. Each Steam game *has to* be registered at Steam's in order to run it. Furthermore you have to be online to play. Steam can simply cut off the game that you spent your money on if they want.

If you're a bit capable of the German language or you know a good translator, I urge you to read this article: http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/18/18880/1.html - which pretty much shows not only what Steam can possibly do but also what the guys behind it are actually doing.

NO game must ever need the "permission" by the publisher for you to play it after you have legally bought it!

Imagine now there's Dark Messiah II coming out, but it's so bad that it's not really worth buying. Now the Steam people can go and shut down your account for Dark Messiah I. Sh*t happens? I think, that's horrible.
What the #$*! do we know?

Vitirr
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Vitirr » 25 May 2006, 10:34

I won't ever buy a game that runs over Steam that's for sure. Having to play mp over external servers it's already something that bothers me. With single player I consider it unacceptable.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 25 May 2006, 18:57

Pray that they do away with Steam, if possible, the way they did away with Starforce for H5, and I am sure that Ubi will listen to us a little bit. Many of us want to play DM, but there's no point in playing it if we don't have control of our own game accounts.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 May 2006, 19:02

Im not sure ubi is going to make a reputation as contract breaker.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 25 May 2006, 19:59

Ubi is already making a very good reputation as a company that makes games for the people who want to enjoy them - and thus listen to them.

Btw., I've just noticed there's a new CH poll "What will you do if Dark Messiah is tied to Steam?" on the navigation bar. Go and vote now! :)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 May 2006, 20:02

Yeah, who put up that poll by the way?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

SirGalrim
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SirGalrim » 25 May 2006, 20:16

@ Sikon "This game is NOT BUILT AROUND STEAM. Source and Steam are unrelated things. A game can use Source, but not Steam, and vice versa." You should easy up there. Never said steam is the engine, but it's no secret valve software is very steam friendly. Hence my comment of no suprise.

"Besides, even retail versions are likely to require Steam activation, as it was the case for Half-Life 2. Steam is not "just a publishing platform", it's also DRM."

Exactly, that's what I am saying. Stop contratiction yourself. :P It's related but dosen't have to do anythign with eatch other to do either (VtM:Bloodlines, SiN examples of both sides)

@ Jerrie "Furthermore you have to be online to play. Steam can simply cut off the game that you spent your money on if they want."

That's an outright LIE. One can play games in offline mode.

What the heck us up with all the bashing, hating and whining here lately? :roll:
Edited on Thu, May 25 2006, 14:17 by SirGalrim
"Never seen you. I don't even know your name. But still I belive.. That you are gonna save me!"
- juveth.no

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 25 May 2006, 22:32

There is an offline mode, but you can use it only if there is also no internet connection. Otherwise you can't play offline.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 25 May 2006, 23:40

....Who cares if steam is used..? It was cracked in the Half-life 2 release by RELOADED and so will every other steam protected game be....

And publishers are just trying to protect their games. But I understand that people don't like this bigbrother thing with surveilance everywhere. Well, as I said before, that world is coming and you can't stop it :p (Think Deus Ex)

No thanks to betatesting. I want to have fun.

Angelspit: Can only admins create polls? I think Ethric did it. He don't like steam :p
Edited on Thu, May 25 2006, 17:41 by Campaigner

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 26 May 2006, 06:38

Angelspit, I did.

Steam may be cracked, but it's a) no less illegal than cracking a CD copy protection, and CH people seem to be picky about legal issues and b) updates to Steam games are also released through Steam, so they can't be installed on pirated versions. And of course, you cannot play online (on non-pirate servers).

Campaigner, I don't know whether we can stop it or not, but just sitting apathetically and saying that DRM will win anyway is even worse than DRM itself. Therefore, we must raise awareness. And by must, I mean MUST.
Edited on Fri, May 26 2006, 00:40 by Sikon

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 May 2006, 08:12

Funny, as if you own the original game using a crack for it ain't illegal in most places. And updates can be cracked too.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 26 May 2006, 11:47

DRM circumvention IS illegal, regardless of what you own.

Return to “News”