First Patch Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

First Patch Announced

Unread postby Angelu » 28 May 2006, 01:41

oh my! did I like see someone making remarks about civ!!!! woot!! Civ is and will always be the best strategi game ever, its what started the hole trend!! r e s p e c t ! ! ;)

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 28 May 2006, 08:24

the problem with the people's logic who say H5 is a H3 clone is that they think in this manner: "OH, 7 creatures in each town, and every creature has an upgrade.. that means h5 is a h3 clone!!!" Oh yeah, but the stats and abilities of the vast majority of the creatures are TOTALLY different. oops. just because something still has the same name tacked onto it (i.e. magi are still called "magi") doesn't mean they're the same. With this kind of logic, you might deduce that I am a clone of you. I mean, we both have 10 fingers, we both have 2 arms, 2 legs, a nose.. a mouth..
please, don't be a fool. and the reason i take this rude tone, rather than being nice about it, is that everyone knows that you KNOW you're being a fool, but you continue to spread your uninformed filth all over the boards anyway. actually, uninformed filth is not right at all, nor just. cuz uninformed would mean that you honestly believe h5 is a clone of h3.. and that would take a bit of the blame off of you because that would mean you have just been doing it in ignorance. However, it's clear that you can see the vast differences between h5 and h3, but simply use selective arguing (like any good lawyer would) and fail to mention the differences in the games in your arguments, while using broad sweeping statements that sound good but actually are untrue when looked at closely. just like we talked earlier with the "7 creatures in each town means it's a clone!" yeah, 7 creatures allright, but the town plays totally different, with lots of new creatures, and some creatures that have the same name as before but do different things and/or have different relative stats to the rest of the creatures in the game. citing things like "hero chaining" as things which have been cloned is absurd. You could chain in H1, H2, H3. H4 was the only HoMM in which you COULDN'T chain. clearly an empty argument.

but, since i complained that you are never specific (and when you are, you cite ridiculous things like hero chaining), it's only fair that I name a few things (and these few things are enough alone to separate H5 greatly from H3 and prevent any rational argument that it is in fact a "clone") that make H5.. quite new and interesting. here, i'll just tell a story.

i was playing as a Wizard earlier for the first time.. i hired a 2nd hero from my castle (and wow, i hired him from a tavern! game must be a clone!) in order to gather loose resources and help my main. Each new hero cost me 500 more gold than the previous.. the 4th hero I ended up hiring cost me I believe 4000 gold. My gremlins were one of my strongest armies early on.. so i made an artifact for them (i made the artifact give the gremlins +1 luck and +1 dmg i believe it was.. since they have such a low dmg range and because luck is very strong). My hero leveled up at one point, and I made sure to get Mark of the Wizard (the ability underneath the Wizard's racial skill "Artificer") because I knew that Mark of the Wizard was one of the requirements for Teleport Assault, a Logistics ability that is very powerful in combat. And I had always thought that logistics was just good for the adventure map. Since my hero already had logistics, all I needed now was to get the pathfinding ability underneath logistics, which qualified me for March of the Golems, which increases the speed and initiative of all Golems in a hero's army by 2, which finally allowed me to get Teleport Assault. But speaking of speed, apparently speed these days actually means "movement", while initiative means how often you act. I remembered the first time I encountered some deadly looking wights (which are now L6). There was a huge stack of them, and they had already moved halfway towards me. Then I had the bright idea to cast "slow" on them. This would, I thought, prevent them from reaching me on their next turn. I was happy to see that they moved back in the initiative bar when I slowed them.. but when they're turn finally came and they were able to move just as far as they did before, I was dismayed. I recall losing 5 iron golems in that fight and having no idea how. So I watched more closely in the next fight. Apparently I had been setting my troops up with my golems right in front of my magi.. I didn't realize that the mage's shot now hurts everything on the way to it's target and continuing on through it's target. oops. I was of course stupid enough not to fix the mistake immediately after the battle and it slipped my mind. I entered the next battle and then remembered that I was supposed to move them, to my annoyance. But, no sweat, I can rearrange my troops before the battle begins. Moved the golems to the side.. now we're good to go. Later on in the game I saw a stack of 7 phoenix.. back in h3 with the huge army I had I would've jumped on them without thinking.. but I heard someone say that they're now the strongest creature in the game. I looked for another way around. It sure took a lot longer to get my castle to "perfect" status.. back in h3 I often remember having the L7 dwelling built week 2.. if it was behemoths week 1.. now I'm having to wait till week 3 or 4, sometimes longer. This town requirement thing is gonna take some getting used to. Also, some of these upgraded buildings cost a whole bunch. Not that some of em aren't worth it.. a lot of the upgrades are much more significant than back in h3. It seems for the first month of the game you can either go with L1-6 mostly/all upgraded.. or you can go L1-L7 none upgraded. Decisions, decisions.. everywhere. Decisions I certainly never had to make in h3. Hopefully with some more practice I can learn how to most effectively play this NEW HoMM game.

Rhutobello
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: First Patch Announced

Unread postby Rhutobello » 28 May 2006, 08:34

Angelu wrote:oh my! did I like see someone making remarks about civ!!!! woot!! Civ is and will always be the best strategi game ever, its what started the hole trend!! r e s p e c t ! ! ;)
Yea, Civ is a nice strategi program....B U T HoMM are a life....thats why you get all those hot opinions.

Long live HoMM... (but then you need to do better then HoMM5)

And in a way this early patch of the game confirm that it has been rushed out before they was pleased with it, because they have started to work on the patch "long" before release date and therby new the game was not finish.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 11:54

@Blue_Camel

Sure,its not a clone.It didnt even manage to do that.About chaining:So what if just the fourth part didnt have that?That doesnt mean its a bad feature,nor that it shouldnt be present in the rest.Civ IV has religion.Do you think there will be no religion in civ V because it is present just in this part?Sure,7 creature levels dont meant that they copied it from HIII.But 7 creature levels with exactly one upgrade and 90% same connections is a bit to similar.So what if they changed the numbers?The connection between those numbers is the same.Even though titans have the weakest stats,they are still the strongest shooters.

Ok,they did improve a few details,but the problem is that they improved the details that needed the smallest improvements.They improved the taverns,thats nice,but its the heroes role in combat that needed more improving then their hiring.They improved the skills,while its the hero balance and AI that needed more improving.They improved initiative,while its the retaliation system that needed more improvement.

And the battlefield.It is simply too small.Heroes is not chess!Imagine if you had all queens in chess.The board would be way to small,and it would become a slaughterfest HV is now.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

First Patch Announced

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 30 May 2006, 20:47

OK, it's next week (actually past next week). Where's the patch? It sure isn't on www.ubi.com - I just checked.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 30 May 2006, 20:55

It's not out yet. When it will be is anybodys guess.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Return to “News”