Master of Magic News

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Master of Magic News

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 14 May 2021, 07:06

Master of Magic Announced!

MUHA Games announced that they are working on new Master of Magic game! You might remember them already as the makers of Thea:The Awakening, bold propagators of very lovely idea, getting addons only for coffee, beer or even for free. This small indie studio is based in UK/PL and let me say, that Thea was great success. Tweet.
We can finally confirm our latest project: Master of Magic.

Master of Magic is a classical turn-based strategy game from the ’90s and we’re working hard to remake this gem and bring it into the new age.
You may ask, how it's with rights, after all these years? Well Slitherine bought the rights for Master of Magic and judging by the mail they choose MUHA Games to make it happen again!

Image Image

Previous like MoM attempts

There were a few, first from pretty agile Stardock Company, maker of Galactic Civilization, with their Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, released at 23th August 2012. This one was rated pretty well, used hexes in combat. And rendered not much astonishing 3D graphic.

The second come from Wasteland Interactive as Worlds of Magic. Having classic squares, strictly keeping to D20 Rule Set. Which was a lesser success (ppl mostly complain about AI) but a great attempt from the devs. This piece was released at 19 March 2015.

Mods and patches for the original MoM

This is probably the most interesting, if you played the original. You remember how you much you tried to avoid Wraiths touching your units?

Yes, it was death touch, unseen in any other games. After they spent all their magic shots and move to touch you, blam, you encountered the bug and whole game crashed.

That was fixed many years later in unoffical patches. None matter, this is a cannon game, shaping the FTS genre, hugely popular and inspiring everyone. Though the popularity started after the patches, which took years..

Master of Magic Classic: Caster of Magic for Windows - thanks Blake for the info, check more about it here. Get it from Slitherine or join Discord.

Master of Magic - IME - not have a final version yet, requires Java 11. Grab from sourceforge.

source: https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Introduction
Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Master of Magic News

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 05 Jun 2021, 22:11

Sounds interesting. To me, Age of Wonders was a better reimagination of MoM, especially AoW2 and beyond with he wizards/casting area system. Fallen Enchantress and World of Magic to me, lacked the same innovative combat system AoW had, and thus quickly became boring. Hope this tries more than being a slavish remaster like Master of Orion was.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 07 Jun 2021, 07:44

Came here to (belatedly) post the news on the forum and you've already taken care of everything haha.. cheers mate. This is great stuff!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 26 Jun 2021, 09:59

There's first update on their DEV BLOG, which is very nice. ;)

But the skin/theme would call for a change, this bland-brown doesn't suit here and I certainly hope that it won't be final.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 02 Jul 2021, 14:12

Pol wrote:There's first update on their DEV BLOG, which is very nice. ;)

But the skin/theme would call for a change, this bland-brown doesn't suit here and I certainly hope that it won't be final.
Yeah we've all been chatting about it on the MoM discord, been meaning to post about it here but you've beaten again as I take too long haha. And yeah you're not the first to comment on the bland interface, they could do better. I also wasn't thrilled about the city build queue only having 5 slots, needs more!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Jul 2021, 08:14

The big question for me, if it will be moddable? With that you could change the skin, units, queue etc.. Maybe there would be time to create some Q&A with them? ;)

Also original game was having "Artificier", as ability, allowing you to create your own artifacts. Or spells like "Summon Hero" or "Summon the Choosen One".

The another good question is, if there would be still Merlin playing for neutrals. Because if "rampaging monsters" won, Merlin claimed victory. This was especially sour if you played also for Merlin :D

I'm at their discord (MuHa) but no time to check. Slitherine have mail for questions.

This, Tea 2 Modding Guidelines. Is in fact not much positive. Ofc, they may use different engine this time.
Last edited by Pol on 08 Jul 2021, 11:20, edited 2 times in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 09 Jul 2021, 11:11

Pol wrote:The big question for me, if it will be moddable? With that you could change the skin, units, queue etc.. Maybe there would be time to create some Q&A with them? ;)

Also original game was having "Artificier", as ability, allowing you to create your own artifacts. Or spells like "Summon Hero" or "Summon the Choosen One".

The another good question is, if there would be still Merlin playing for neutrals. Because if "rampaging monsters" won, Merlin claimed victory. This was especially sour if you played also for Merlin :D

I'm at their discord (MuHa) but no time to check. Slitherine have mail for questions.

This, Tea 2 Modding Guidelines. Is in fact not much positive. Ofc, they may use different engine this time.
They seem to have made an effort in their Q&A trailer and in their discord FAQ to make it clear that the engine is being designed to be heavily moddable.. so hopefully/presumably that means it'll be far more modable that Thea 2.

They've also said they're going to great lengths to create the original experience with some modernization improvements but no big new content.. so that presumably means all original traits, skills, heroes, units, spells, wizards, races will be the same. So yeah i think their could be rioting if MuHa forgot to add artifact creating hahaha. Everyone could do it in the original though, Artificer just made it heaps cheaper. I used to like Artificer as it made your troops weapons magical at game start too which was handy, but these days I try to go without it to get other yummier things haha.

Now that's something I didn't know.. so if you get killed off by neutrals Merlin claims victory?? even if you're Merlin?? I'll have to ask the guys on the discord about that! If that's the case I doubt it'll be in the remake as they don't have the source so someone would have to trigger that freaky event for them to know about it! I'll mention it there. :)

Last edited by Blake on 10 Jul 2021, 03:45, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “News”