In memory of Docent Picolan - A Hero of Might and Magic

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 15 Nov 2020, 19:56

Today, the Heroes of Might and Magic-community received tragic news.
Docent Picolan, leader of the well-known Heroes of Might and Magic III project "Horn of the Abyss" passed away on November 7th, 2020.

Docent Picolan - Image from Horn of the Abyss Facebook
These are the words of the Horn of the Abyss crew:

"Dear friends,

We have suffered a grievous loss. On November 7, 2020, the founder and leader of the Horn of the Abyss project, wonderful artist and composer known to the wide HoMM community as Docent Picolan, died tragically. It would be no exaggeration to call HotA his brainchild, as it was he who created most visual and fundamental concepts that laid the foundation of the project, and his unquenchable enthusiasm had been our driving force through all 13 years of development. Not only was Docent the project manager; he was also responsible for a huge amount of graphical assets. He also kept in touch with the community, wrote music, and simply led by example, helping everyone stay invested and interested in our work.

It will take some time before we come to terms with this loss and figure out how to continue our work without him. Nevertheless, HotA Crew promises that the development of the project will continue. The Factory which Docent had been devoting all his energy to for the last three years will be completed and released in loving memory of our friend and colleague.

HotA Crew"

We want to extend our deepest condolences to the HoTA-crew, Docent's friends and family. We also want to express our gratitude for the many creations of Docent Picolan. While he may no longer be amongst us, he will live on through his many works of creativity. 

"May tender memories soften your grief"

Following are a few examples of Docent Picolans many creations

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rQQSPcn_TwE

Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: In memory of Docent Picolan - A Hero of Might and Magic

Unread postby JSE » 15 Nov 2020, 22:46

Very sad. I have to admit that I've never played Horn of the Abyss (being a "vanilla" gamer), but the visuals look absolutely fantastic. Docent Picolan seems to have been a highly talented person. My condolences to everyone who knew him.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Nov 2020, 05:48

I played HotA for a little while. Although H3 does not apprease me much anymore, the project was as if it came with the original. It shows the amount of dedication of all involved. I wish them well and strength in these troubled times.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 16 Nov 2020, 18:00

My deepest condolencies to his family and friends. He was a trully reneissance man with an eye for detail.

To this date HotA is the most online played Heroes version. That's thanks to him!

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 12 Aug 2021, 09:48

oh my god.
i have chatted with him in the past, in heroes community forums, and i can only say he was skilled and terrific person.
my deepest condolences.
may his soul rest and his memmory echo's in his mods.

Return to “News”