Cheating Death

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 May 2006, 21:16

Please, cheats are good when you finished the game once already and you just want to watch the cinematics/story again. Save-games get lost easy. They're also good for testing stuff without having to use the editor, which will just take longer.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 15 May 2006, 23:03

Personally, I don't use cheats just because I like playing the game on an even playing field. But if people want to use cheats, it's great. It's just a game, and people should be able to enjoy it in any way they please..

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 16 May 2006, 01:16

Ya' know, I'm so goddam sick of Ubisoft/Nival pulling their power/control trips on customers that I'm ready to cancel my preorder.

What difference does it make to anyone at Nival whether or not if someone chooses to use cheat codes?

To Nival: Go crawl back under the dictatorial rock that you slimed out from in 1989! Once a person pays for your lousy game, it's their privilege and right to play the game any way they want. So get off your high-horse, you bunch of arrogant 䧧holes, and let us play the game and edit maps any way we want to!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Cheating Death

Unread postby Sikon » 16 May 2006, 04:32

Calm down, Nival didn't exist in 1989. And I, personally, don't want to "crawl back under the dictatorial rock". So please be careful with your expressions.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Cheating Death

Unread postby Fnord » 16 May 2006, 06:29

Cheat codes are very useful for mapmaking/testing but the problem is that even if you disable them in multiplayer, games can often be opened in single player (at least some previous versions could) so this may be in order to make it 100% secure for MP games. But..I really hope that when they do release the editor, they'll include some good ways to test maps or have an option to enable cheat codes via the editor for map testing purposes.
- Fnord

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Cheating Death

Unread postby HodgePodge » 16 May 2006, 08:28

Sikon wrote:Calm down, Nival didn't exist in 1989. And I, personally, don't want to "crawl back under the dictatorial rock". So please be careful with your expressions.
You're right. :embarrased: I got a little carried away. First, no map editor, then only a small smattering of maps come with the game, now no codes. Then to top it all off, I can't even play the Sylvan campaign until I play the Inferno & Necro campaign. Maybe I don't want to play them first … or at all.

Maybe Nival should figure out that we, the customers, should be able to ENJOY the game … and not necessarily the way they think we should.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Cheating Death

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 May 2006, 10:33

Good to know cheats wont be in. You can "cheat" in the editor.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Cheating Death

Unread postby Infiltrator » 16 May 2006, 12:05

I don't ever use cheats so it isn't so important to me.. However I do feel for the cheating folks.. Tough luck ;)
Infiltrator out.

-Olorin-
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Cheating Death

Unread postby -Olorin- » 16 May 2006, 13:56

Yes, You can cheat/giving yourself more troops in the editor but you can't reveal the the whole adventure map, give your self unlimited movment points or let the game autoplay for all players. Feats that I often have used.

One other thing that cheats can be used to is to win campagin maps where it for one or another reason has become impossible to win, can be a trigger that dosen't work or whatever. It has happend to me in H4 and in H5 Demo as well (In the queen campagin, I defeated all red players my self, the game goes nuts and I have to travel around the map for a week or so before it triggers that I have actually won, for situations like these a instant win cheat can be very usefull.

And cut the racist crap, Nival dosen't make bad games because they are russians. they aren't just skilld enough yet to handle a game like H5.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 14:53

Since when are Russians a different race?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 16 May 2006, 15:05

HodgePodge wrote:I can't even play the Sylvan campaign until I play the Inferno & Necro campaign. Maybe I don't want to play them first … or at all.
They force you to play them in order because otherwise the plot wouldn't make any sense, and the final campaigns would be too hard for novice players. Warcraft III's campaigns were set in a similar way, and it worked quite well.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 15:20

H3 campaign were set in a similar way. You needed to complete the first 3 or 4 to get to the rest, so the story would make sense. That's what you get in order to have one big story.
In H4 there were 6 different stories set in the same world, so you could play any of them without ruining the others.
I rather prefered H3's way. It weaves a more complex story that way.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 16:06

ThunderTitan wrote:H3 campaign were set in a similar way. You needed to complete the first 3 or 4 to get to the rest, so the story would make sense. That's what you get in order to have one big story.
In H4 there were 6 different stories set in the same world, so you could play any of them without ruining the others.
I rather prefered H3's way. It weaves a more complex story that way.
Ah,but in HIII you could choose between the first three campaigns,and it still made sense,no matter in which order you played them.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 18:46

Exactly what I said. They were happening at roughly the same time. In H5 it's continous, while in H4 it doesn't matter. I prefered it like in H3, with paralel storylines converging at the end.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 May 2006, 19:19

ThunderTitan wrote:Exactly what I said. They were happening at roughly the same time. In H5 it's continous, while in H4 it doesn't matter. I prefered it like in H3, with paralel storylines converging at the end.
HIII is the best,true.It has a single story that is not completely linear.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Cheating Death

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 16 May 2006, 22:27

I agree with -olorin-'s comment: "One other thing that cheats can be used to is to win campagin maps where it for one or another reason has become impossible to win, can be a trigger that dosen't work or whatever." I have also played several campaigns over the years where I have mapped 100% of a map, satisfied the scenario victory conditions and yet the scenario doesn't seem to recognize that fact.

It isn't a big deal on a stand-alone scenario, but it is horrible on a campaign because obviously you can't continue the campaign. By the way, I have also played other games (Age of Empires, for one) where the same thing happened, and without cheat codes I would have been stuck. To me though, the bottom line is: What the hell difference is it anyway: No one forces anyone to use cheat codes. They should be available if you want/need to use them.

King_Roland
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Cheating Death

Unread postby King_Roland » 18 May 2006, 19:08

I will miss the 'reveal map' cheat code. I liked being able to see all parts of the map. In many maps you don't need to or don't want to go to the trouble of traveling to all parts of the adventure map just to see what's there.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 18 May 2006, 20:25

King_Roland wrote:I will miss the 'reveal map' cheat code. I liked being able to see all parts of the map. In many maps you don't need to or don't want to go to the trouble of traveling to all parts of the adventure map just to see what's there.
I think some very intelligent & resourceful person or persons will create Trainers or Save Game Editors if Nival refuses to reveal the codes. My guess is the codes will be revealed when the Map Editor is released; at least I would hope so. They are necessary for maptesting (not to mention helping out those of us who aren't very masterful at playing the game in the first place :embarrased: ).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2006, 21:42

If they didn't put them in the game there's nothing to reveal. If they did I'm sure it will be easier to find out what they are then making an editor/trainer.

Eon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Cheating Death

Unread postby Eon » 18 May 2006, 23:28

Why remove the codes?

Return to “News”