Dark Messiah Revisited 2017

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Dark Messiah Revisited 2017

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 23 Nov 2017, 14:12

Chris Thursten of PC Gamer took another look at Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, which was released more than 10 years ago already, back in the days when Ubisoft was trying to expand the scope of the Might and Magic franchise. Referring to the game as "a brilliant murder sim", he reminds us that the game is a spiritual sequel to the excellent Arx Fatalis, and some sort of blueprints to Arkane Studios' very successful Dishonored series. The game wasn't praised by critics or gamers originally, but at times it could be a lot of fun:

"As adventuring wizard’s apprentice Sareth, you kick men and orcs with bone-shattering force into spike traps and off rope bridges. You combine directional movement and mouse swings to lop limbs with your sword just so. You emit fireballs from your palm and watch as enemies, stumbling over the flaming corpses of their comrades, catch fire too and flail and fall."

But PC Gamer also notes that the game didn't age so well in other areas:

"Dark Messiah’s technology is no longer impressive and the world of Might and Magic is not interesting enough to account for the loss. Worse are its character designs, which support a plot that is as derivative as it is faintly embarrassing to re-encounter ten years on. As Sareth you’re a Chosen, somebody running errands for louche wizards, performed with the intensity of actors who don’t quite know how to feel about the fact that they could be doing panto instead."

So Dark Messiah is 11 years old, and before long Heroes III will celebrate its 20th aniversary. We are not getting any younger, are we?
Read full article...
Last edited by Pol on 23 Nov 2017, 22:40, edited 4 times in total.
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Re: Dark Messiah Revisited 2017

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Nov 2017, 19:09

Thanks to Marzhin for the link!

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 23 Nov 2017, 20:59

I'm not getting any older, either. ;) :)
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 23 Nov 2017, 22:40

I'm ready for getting younger later! :P
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 25 Nov 2017, 09:12

{CH}ArticleBot wrote:"Dark Messiah’s technology is no longer impressive and the world of BULLSHAN is not interesting enough to account for the loss.
Fixed.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 10 Dec 2017, 18:10

{CH}ArticleBot wrote:... So Dark Messiah is 11 years old...[/url]
Jesus...

I actually really liked the game back in the day. Story line was not a masterpiece, but I spent lots of hours playing and replaying it.

Return to “News”