Heroes 4 HD mod - Artists needed

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Heroes 4 HD mod - Artists needed

Unread postby Karmakeld » 01 Jul 2018, 14:00

Does anyone has any ideas as for what to fill out the large empty block with, on the lower left of the screen?
Any suggestion is welcome.. I believe Dalai posted a similar request some time ago, with the comment that in lack of better ideas, the Equilibris logo could be inserted. Image

Another idea, if possible, is to slightly enlarge some of the tiles on the rights and move all of the stuff a bit left, but I don't think that would solve it 100%.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Jul 2018, 19:07

Hm ... I would think having a close up of the castle perhaps, the finished version of it. I don't know the freedom of placing things there? Would it work having any sort of art placed there?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 01 Jul 2018, 20:51

I would put here a minimap with town location, yes that small one which is already here on the right. Get rid of it and put here a big one!

My second thought would be to list here a spells available in the town, from the best to the worst.

If that is possible.

Logo just don't appear to cut it. If I can recommend you may go for an inspiration to some of Salamandre or RoseKavalier mods. Using every inch of space to provide useful information.

Heck, and don't hate me, you can even put here a nice Castle animation day/night clickable. :tongue:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 02 Jul 2018, 19:25

Panda, By close up of the Castle, do you mean the Castle structure (which can be upgraded)? I think we have pretty much free hands regarding placing things there. Max didn't mention any restrictions as such, but surely the game provides some. Now I don't know if it's possible to add a changable icon like the creature portraits or if it will have to be static (will have to investigate), but I'm pretty sure the menu would work, but what would work artistically is another matter.

Pol, hmm the mini map part also serves as a way to switch between towns. I guess maybe you could keep the scroll bar..

Spells also crossed my mind, but I don't know if those can be read and display there. Will check with Max.
Perhaps I could ask you to provide me with screenshots of those Mods? Currently I don't have H3 installed - or located for that matter.

I know some modders worked on various townscreen versions, even some with animated fog etc. For the moment being the town reads the terrain type and adjust to that (game has 8 town screens for each town I recall). Now some might find it cool if they could switch between fog, rain, day and night animations. Again I'll have to check if we can add these as animated layers above the townscreens and make them clickable.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 02 Jul 2018, 20:03

The upgraded castle, but zoomed in.

But you could also consider the creatures portraits being listed there on a line and spells below them. Moving them from their original position, the space created would be used to increase the size of the castle | mini maps, the list of owned castles.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 Sep 2018, 21:51

Panda Tar wrote:Hm ... I would think having a close up of the castle perhaps, the finished version of it. I don't know the freedom of placing things there? Would it work having any sort of art placed there?
The upgraded castle, but zoomed in.
But you could also consider the creatures portraits being listed there on a line and spells below them. Moving them from their original position, the space created would be used to increase the size of the castle | mini maps, the list of owned castles.
Pol wrote:I would put here a minimap with town location, yes that small one which is already here on the right. Get rid of it and put here a big one!
My second thought would be to list here a spells available in the town, from the best to the worst.

Heck, and don't hate me, you can even put here a nice Castle animation day/night clickable. :tongue: this is still to be tested if possible

Other suggestions

Simple Logo: (we could add Heroes IV logo as well)

List of creatures:

Short cut buttons:

Empty for other to display their suggestions:

These are just quick drafts for display, but what do you think?

For me #1 does fill out the space quite well, although I don't find it very useful. But still it adds a bit of atmosphere imo.
#2 Even if the scroll bar was moved with the towns, the switched portraits/town mini maps doesn't work for me.
#3 To me it still leaves too much blank space.
#4 List of spells does somewhat fills out the space (here I also used the unused images, so cut away 6 images and we'll still have some blank space.. Not sure if it would look better if the images were cut out in circles, to avoid the massive chunk of blue.. I could try adding the creature portraits - that would most likely fill out the remaining space..
#5 Logo is well, just a bit plain and unimaginative.
#6 Now this works surprisingly well I think. One could add expansion creatures as well or iconic hero portraits like Crag Hack..
#7 Short cut buttons might be a nice addition - perhaps the only really useful one, but I think they should be added with either of the above. I think that would work better..

Others: To some degree it is possible to add animations like weather effects (or day/night), but wheter it's possible to make them changeable is still unclear.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Sep 2018, 22:47

Nice, nice. :applause:

I was also thinking on making, if possible, Garrisoned hero on the left, visiting hero on the right, and the short cut buttons filling in the gaps? Is it possible stretching that Creature hiring menu far to the left? Instead of having it dividing the screen like that?

Like this:
Last edited by Panda Tar on 12 Sep 2018, 23:01, edited 3 times in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 13 Sep 2018, 20:19

Panda Tar wrote:Nice, nice. :applause:

I was also thinking on making, if possible, Garrisoned hero on the left, visiting hero on the right, and the short cut buttons filling in the gaps?
So it would be displayed vertically instead of horizontal? Or still horizontal, only split..?
Panda Tar wrote: Is it possible stretching that Creature hiring menu far to the left? Instead of having it dividing the screen like that?

Like this:
I think we can move the various parts around as we like. You write stretch, but from your image I understand you wantnto move, not enlarge the creature hiring menu.
I think your proposal could be made, but it still has a large blank space, which is what the Equilibris team wanted filled out.
I can upload the file in ora format, then you can play around with ideas if you like.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Sep 2018, 22:01

Yeah, the word was to move to the left. Then, the thing I was in mind was keeping those short cut buttons on aligned on the top, evenly spaced. Below them, making the garrisoned and visiting army slots one beside the other, instead of one above the other, occupying the space horizontally. These slots could be enlarged a bit to completely fill in the space, but you could also consider having a list of spells to one side to the other in small icons, as reference.

Should I illustrate for better explanation?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 14 Sep 2018, 22:19

Panda Tar wrote:Yeah, the word was to move to the left. Then, the thing I was in mind was keeping those short cut buttons on aligned on the top, evenly spaced. Below them, making the garrisoned and visiting army slots one beside the other, instead of one above the other, occupying the space horizontally. These slots could be enlarged a bit to completely fill in the space, but you could also consider having a list of spells to one side to the other in small icons, as reference.

Should I illustrate for better explanation?
I think I get the picture now :) will try it out and post when made..

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 17 Sep 2018, 22:33

So while I wait for myself to illustrate PandaTar's suggestion (perhaps it would be quicker if he did so himself ;| ) I made these:

The first one is based on a suggestion from HC member LordLydonX, the second was just a sudden idea I came up with.

It adds a nice atmosphere I think, but it would either require atleast 2 images or custom made ones, that matches the large width of the area. I doubt stretching it will end up good.

another suggestion could be this (if possible):
Last edited by Karmakeld on 17 Sep 2018, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 21 Sep 2018, 14:46

Oooh I like the last one showing more background elements. Sort of fits with modern Heroes games castle UI.

I really hope this project gets released one day. Amazing stuff!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 22 Sep 2018, 18:49

Blake wrote:Oooh I like the last one showing more background elements. Sort of fits with modern Heroes games castle UI.

I really hope this project gets released one day. Amazing stuff!
Thanks. Personally I'm also leaning mostly towards the last one displaying more background. Somehow to me it just looks a bit better than the otherwise (very) wide UI.
Though I still need to check with Max that it can work.
It also got good feedback on HC, though feedback in general is rather low.

Me too. Max asked me months ago to look into these UI as well as main menu, so I consider that a good sign = project still in progress dispite Dalai being absent.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Sep 2018, 17:16

I like the shorter UI. It makes me remind me of the changes in Dota 2 as well, where the UI used to take part of the lower part of the screen, then they cleaned it and now it's not that much anymore.

Before and After.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 25 Sep 2018, 18:58

Thanks, although there hasn't been that much feedback, the shorter one has been well rechieved. Panda, would you care you share your vision as you mentioned earlier?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Sep 2018, 22:18

I'll try reminding myself later. :D

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 26 Sep 2018, 09:19

Panda Tar wrote:I'll try reminding myself later. :D
Great. Untill then it seems we have a favorite, based on feedback from both HC and CH.
With no lesss than 3 votes against less votes, this is the one I will most likely pursue (unless Panda Tar's vision rocks). Just gotta get a hang of Max to verify we can add this one. Image[/quote]

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 07 Oct 2018, 22:32

So Max just confirmed we'll be working on this version:

Only issue will be the fact that there'll be no place for the shipyard where it's used to :tired:
Solutions :tsdown:: Image

or preferably :tsup:: Image

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Oct 2018, 09:07

Pretty. Yes, the last is more right on eyes.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 08 Oct 2018, 22:20

Pol wrote:Pretty. Yes, the last is more right on eyes.
Absolutely agree :) For a moment, imagine how it would look if the shipyard isn't extended but ends at the top of the menu :| Anyway I believe the result will be good.
I'll probably post some screenshots as I finish them..

Return to “News”