Heroes 4 HD mod - Artists needed

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: Heroes 4 HD mod - Artists needed

Unread postby Dalai » 09 Aug 2016, 13:05

Slavax wrote:an official map of Axeoth
Where does it come from? Will Ubi (I assume it's them, with H7 and all) be content with it being used elsewhere?
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 09 Aug 2016, 14:22

that was actually from NWC Heroes 4 team, the map itself that is at least, you can check better versions here lol

even if you go down another road, if we can get an optional really purist version of HD mod keeping the original NWC vision fully intact, apart technical changes from absolute necessity, it will be really awesome and appreciated,
I sure like the flexible interface of H3 HD because it can upscale to basically any resolution without breaking, and does not even require an artist because it alters no assets, just frames them where necessary basically lol

that might be a bit on the OCD side to say but I think the cleanest upgrade possible is just great for the faithful curation of the game, you guys have done brilliant to achieve that with the adventure map already, it looks great lol

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 09 Aug 2016, 23:54

Erwinner wrote:that was actually from NWC Heroes 4 team, the map itself that is at least
Unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question. It's Ubi's now, and I don't know if they are ok with anyone else using it.
you can check better versions
I have only found a same version and some interesting map overlays. But no better version. Did I miss it?
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 10 Aug 2016, 09:35

the modified/touched-up image is by Ubi, however the map itself is not, it was a drawing by NWC,
therefore I'd say if for the intents and purposes all are OK with modding Heroes 4 or distributing Heroes 4 exe, I think it's not a bigger deal to appropriate Heroes 4 production material, though, I wouldn't use the very same exact image lol

nope, you found the better versions indeed, the other one is photoshopped by Ubi, while the ones in thread are better in terms of being official as they are the original NWC image not tampered with by Ubisoft lol

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 10 Aug 2016, 11:03

I wish someone could take this map as an example and redraw it in medieval style with sea-monsters, dragons and vampires in appropriate places, according to official campaigns. Some edge-of-the-Earth waterfalls, compass and other stuff. That would be wonderful :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 11 Aug 2016, 08:20

@Dalai, you're thinking something along the line of these, old style maps?? :)

ImageImage
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 11 Aug 2016, 09:04

Yes, exactly :)

Besides dragons, sea monsters and minotaurs, there can be some magical stuff. Some rainbows, magical spires, trees of knowledge. May be a cloud castle.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 11 Aug 2016, 11:31

@Karmakeld
I think Dalai had something like previous MM maps on his mind:

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 11 Aug 2016, 16:08

would sure be cool but water falling off the edge of the world would be a bit hokey IMHO, that's not really founded in real life myths contrary to popular belief, also Axeoth a round world with circumnavigation, and map looks too accurate for them to not understand the world continues past edge lol

also it's a bit vague, as you can't see all the details, in the overlay map you get all the details with the extra rivers and shores and all but only in the areas of the campaign,
might be a bit hard to make it look more fleshed out, without having to make up details, basically getting into fanart territory more than adaptation lol

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 Aug 2016, 07:29

@Avonu, No doubt what you display is most likely the dream case of what Dalai and others would love as a map of Axeoth.
The reason I displayed those two Maps, is because they were drawn by my girlfriend, based on a parade route through our neighboring town and the other based on her parents home. As both served as treasure maps, they were based on the style of old sea maps.
She can offer to draw a map in that style, and it's not a big task. The others would require months of work.
She's likely able to do drawings in the style of the MM maps (more fantasy like) but the coloring process would be left out. Someone skilled in PhotoShop should do that.
Hope this explains my post ;)

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 12 Aug 2016, 14:06

I'm pretty sure the style of map that your girlfriend drew is more of what Dalai was looking for (and I think would be way better than the ones posted of Antagarich).

I think an old style / hand drawn map of Axeoth would be amazing simply because that would make it more realistic looking :) The ones Avonu posted look more cartoonish and I don't think would look as good as the main menu background as a hand drawn map.

Just my opinion :)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 12 Aug 2016, 15:02

Yes, iLiVeInAbOx05 is right. Of those 3 pictures Avonu posted I like the last one the most. But being very professional and "polished" (may be even a bit too much), it's really not far from maps drawn by Karmakeld's girlfriend. Those are very good, she is obviously very gifted. I suspect they can become even better if someone works with them in photoshop further.

One more thought about cartoonish style. Main menu is an interface for a player to start a game. Players must be able to find the right buttons :) If the map is too bright and colorful, it steals attention from the actual interface.
Erwinner wrote:would sure be cool but water falling off the edge of the world would be a bit hokey IMHO
But several (dozens? hundreds?) miles long water snake is alright, I guess :D

Come on, that's the beauty of this type of map. You are not entirely sure what is there, but you heard some rumors, drunken sailor tales, hero and horror stories. They don't always add up, but you have to make a consistent map anyway. You have to improvise. :creative:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 Aug 2016, 23:23

okay, so if I'm to put her on the task (if someone more skilled shows up, they can eventually take over), I think there are a few topics to be addressed as well as few things to be clarified.
- Should the map be based on the Jennifer Bullard's map (this has some borders, which isn't on the official map, e.g. above/below Aranorn, which might be nice to keep).
- What about Devonshire (TGS) and the island where WoW takes place? Should they be included somehow?
- Does anyone have a clue if the unnamed islands ever been refered to? Or if they're simply unknown territory?
- Anyone knows who/what inhabits the Pirien Islands?
I take it A4 size is sufficient?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 13 Aug 2016, 05:34

Karmakeld wrote:- What about Devonshire (TGS) and the island where WoW takes place? Should they be included somehow?
As far as I remember Devonshire is located on another continent - Lodwar.
Channon (from Winds of War) also seems to be separate land.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 13 Aug 2016, 08:41

I'll rephrase it :) should the other continents be included? Given most players likely have both expansions, only displaying Iranese/the continent for the standard campaigns, it's kinda like something's still missing. It would only be a continent map, and not a world map.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 13 Aug 2016, 12:06

I think it makes sense to have all the continents. Even if someone doesn't have TGS, for instance, it doesn't mean Lodwar isn't out there.

A4 is enough, the quality depends on scanner. Even cheapest scanners have enough resolution to produce acceptable result.

What you have to plan ahead: The original picture should have 4*3 ratio, but remain good when you cut top and bottom stripes to adapt for other ratios, more wide. Up to 16*9. So basically you have to keep all essential map inside a 16*9 part of 4*3 rectangle. Two stripes - top and bottom, 12.5% each - should be there, but should be expendable. They may contain unnamed islands, small decorative elements, etc.

A4 is 210mm*297mm. To make it exactly 4*3 you should use 210*280mm. Leave 9mm empty from both sides, and fill 27mm on top and bottom with stuff that may be cut without affecting the rest. And you should plan for some space for all traditional interface elements - buttons on the right and logo in top left.

If she agreed to do it - it would be just great. :) I hope you help her with in-game detail, like where the lava or jungle is, where are pirates, etc.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 13 Aug 2016, 12:19

well I wonder how you would be able to include them though, when there is no full map of them to use except the Rysh, nor much information on where they are, in relation to the Iranese lol

basically you will be inventing it yourself out of thin air as fan fiction, which is fine, but can be completely incorrect and make your map obsolete (like how incorrect LotA map was) lol

not to mention, those expansions have almost absolutely nothing to do with the actual Heroes 4 story, almost literally nothing whatsoever except Dogwoggle being in them, like technically they could not have happened or existed and it would make no difference lol

I think you shouldn't have a map Equilibris at all really because that gets way into fanfic and making things up of the NWC world, where you are forced to take it or leave it, when this is a definitive mod IMO, but that's just me lol

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Aug 2016, 14:37

I mostly agree with Erwinner. The expansions have nothing to do with the actual story (Terry Ray took no part), and indeed, don't really have any story in them anyway. Dogwoggle was just there in name, as seen by the release of his actual Terry Ray written campain.

The part I disagree with is that we shouldn't use a map as the background :)

In my opinion, I think we should only include the main continent of Iranese, but others can give their thoughts as well :)

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 13 Aug 2016, 15:59

I wouldn't say, absolutely don't add a map whatsoever, but I would say, if you really insist, then don't just throw it in there at random because reasons, have foresight and think carefully about being sure it makes good sense, does not stick out like a sore thumb or piece of fanart (like everything in WOG does) and doesn't take liberties with the official map, just to not waste your own time and energy,

because if such map takes lots of liberties and gets canceled out or becomes obsolete in future by some new knowledge or stuff, I would sadly prefer not to see it in the official game, I would want to throw it in the bin by modding it out lol

like the LotA map, or this Might and Magic tribute map, which look very nice, are a nice idea, but apparently turned out to discredited as a bunch of complete fanfic nonsense after they interviewed the devs for more solid facts lol

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 13 Aug 2016, 18:45

Erwinner
If the information about those continents is indeed so vague, I don't really insist on including them.

It's flattering that you treat a piece of fan art we discuss so seriously. Thanks, really.

Consider the alternatives. Let's say we decide to put something else as main menu picture. What would it be? Some mighty warrior with a legendary sword? A wizard with an ancient staff? (that reminds me something, btw :)) How close to fan fiction would that be?

Return to “News”