Contents Wanted

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Contents Wanted

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 26 Feb 2016, 09:41

Would you like to contribute to the contents on Celestial Heavens? Image

This site can only survive if there is enough activity to justify its existence. Right now, that is not the case. For the past year or two, we have had a few eager and hard-working guys who have managed to rebuild the site's framework, but that is all for naught if there is no contents. I have pretty much been doing that solo lately, and that is not a viable solution, for obvious reasons. We are therefore looking for people who wish to create contents so that the fans can find things they need.

What we're looking for is:
  • Single-map walkthroughs or tactics.
  • Faction strategies.
  • Creature stats for Heroes VII.
  • Anything else that is M&M or Heroes related.
Our maps section is still in overhaul mode, so although maps you send in will be received and made ready for publication, they aren't displayed until the work is finished.

If you create some things you wish to share with the world of M&M fans, please get in touch by simply commenting on this topic.
Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: Contents Wanted

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 26 Feb 2016, 16:12

I'm working on a map generator for H4 (with random generation capabilities) that I'd certainly like to have offered here once it gets further along.

Also, I'd like to help with the Equilibris project if we could find them :(

When you say single map walkthroughs, are you excluding campaigns? Or do you just mean do one map at a time? I could potentially do some for the H2 - 4 campaigns. As far as tactics, I'm pretty damage oriented so I don't vary much in that respect.

The campaign I'm working on is set in the world of Enroth / Axeoth, so would that count as M&M related?

I like this site and forum, so I'll help if I can :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Feb 2016, 17:49

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote:When you say single map walkthroughs, are you excluding campaigns? Or do you just mean do one map at a time?
I was mostly thinking about the more recently published things, such as the single maps for H7, but we'll take whatever you can create.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 26 Feb 2016, 18:08

Kalah wrote:I was mostly thinking about the more recently published things, such as the single maps for H7, but we'll take whatever you can create.
Ah okay, understandable. I don't have H6 or H7, and currently don't have plans to get them as my back log of games is probably in the hundreds. I'll look at what we have here for the earlier games and go from there.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 26 Feb 2016, 19:41

As you may recall, I was a steady contributor from '05 to '09. I considered getting back into it again a few years ago, but I was so discouraged by the state of the community in the aftermath of H6 that I didn't see the point.

If I was to contribute again, I would need to be convinced that there is still an actual community buried underneath the Shadow Council trolls and Ubisoft hate-threads.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 26 Feb 2016, 20:40

Looks like there's only a walkthrough for a single map in the H3 Armageddon's Blade campaigns. I'll see about starting there when I get the chance.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Feb 2016, 23:12

That would be nice. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 27 Feb 2016, 04:47

Well, I am still looking forward to Heroes of the Ancient Order which would be a HOMM-esque game but with fans actually creating it (but still with a professional jobs arrangement):

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/16/15952

The desire for a good game is still there, it's just that the Ubisoft caretakers have not taken good care. I'm looking forward to the project page being set up for Heroes of the Ancient Order.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 27 Feb 2016, 08:40

Celestial Heavens is a great site, and I visit it regularly to find out about M&M news and join discussions about my favourite game franchise and its current state. And I have to wonder: Are an independent news platform and an independent forum not sufficient reasons to keep this site alive?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 27 Feb 2016, 13:02

Regarding content, I think it's nice to see some news on the front page from time to time, as that gives the impression, things are happening on CH. Sure the forums are the most active part of CH, but can I understand the need to keep offering other stuff than just discussion. But for my part, my interest lies most in H4. I wish the best for the serie, and follow with interest new developments, but atm. I'm focused on H4 content, like new maps (campaigns) and the likes. But like iLiVe.. propose, I think there's still interest in the older titles, thus it would make sense to still add content for the older games aswell. I recall Markur providing a serie of Screenshots of maps for H5, and it could be nice with some screenshots of the possiblities the new H7 editor has to offer. I'm also aware that some mod's have been made for H7, and a dedicated mod site has been made, but as I'm not the author of any of these, I'm reluctant to 'share' these. I'm not sure of CH policy about this, I guess it could be linked, actually putting those mod's on this site without author permission, might be a bit rude, but as it been seen before, fan projects is what keeps older games alive, so surely some H7 content, could only do good for H7.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Feb 2016, 13:43

Topic cleaned: it's sad to see that I can't even ask for help adding contents to the site without people taking yet another topic off the rails in order to shout at Ubisoft.
Karmakeld wrote:I'm also aware that some mod's have been made for H7, and a dedicated mod site has been made, but as I'm not the author of any of these, I'm reluctant to 'share' these. I'm not sure of CH policy about this, I guess it could be linked, actually putting those mod's on this site without author permission, might be a bit rude, but as it been seen before, fan projects is what keeps older games alive, so surely some H7 content, could only do good for H7.
Our policy is that we would be more than happy to support a modding community in any way we can, but not without the authors' permission, of course. The modders would have to get in touch with us and arrange something, like the Equilibris folks did.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 27 Feb 2016, 14:36

is it true Celestial Heavens is on the way out mate, that would be a good run and a powerful reflection of terrible state of the franchise, could be a good decision if your heart isn't in it, but I don't see why you can't shift focus,

why not cover mods, Fallen Enchantress, King's Bounty, Quantomas of the Ancient Order and other great offshoots of Ubi's Magic and Of: Heroes Might, or even Endless Legend made by former Team Erwin members lol

really don't think you're going to get much content out of Heroes 7 at this point, flogging the dead horse to be honest, need to consider branching out a bit because the whole TBS genre is spread thin by this stage (not made any easier by recent low-quality Heroes releases ofc lol)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Feb 2016, 15:20

Erwinner wrote:why not cover mods, Fallen Enchantress, King's Bounty, Quantomas of the Ancient Order and other great offshoots of Ubi's Magic and Of: Heroes Might, or even Endless Legend...
We'd love to, if the modders get in touch with us. :)

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 27 Feb 2016, 15:32

Kalah, it is really difficult reading your sad words.

I don't want to be some troll or Ubisoft hater. I have said many times, I want to give them my money and get their game.

But the state of their product is so sad.

The old games have been played nearly to death by now. That's why there is so little interest. We need the new games to take up the mantle. But H6 and H7 just can't do it.

How do you have a healthy fan base when a downloadable H7 map runs to 200mb? It barely takes a second to download any H4 and H3 map. Fans of H7 will have to wait 5, 10 minutes for their map. And since most gamers would really like only 1 out of 10, 20 maps, I may have to wait for hours literally to download a map that I did like. Ubisoft's product just can't compete. I'm enjoying Starcraft 2 even though RTS is definitely not my cup of tea. Everything is smooth and works good. In many hours of gaming I had like 2 hangs. For someone who games for fun, of course you want a game that does not force you to wait and wait.

Even with 1.7 I am still reading about bugs, so am not going to pay Ubisoft any money yet. :tsdown:

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 27 Feb 2016, 16:08

Kalah wrote:We'd love to, if the modders get in touch with us. :)
mods are one thing, most of the examples I list are whole other TBS games though who would not get in touch (some still linked to Heroes though), basically I wonder if there's mileage in covering games technically outside the franchise or even branching out to just cover TBS genre in general lol

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Feb 2016, 16:19

We are certainly willing to cover anything M&M related, be it in the news, setting up separate subforums if needed or anything the community desires. However, I cannot do all of this alone: I have a full-time job and a life outside of CH - hence the objective of this story: getting people who have thing¨s to offer to bring it forward.
cjlee wrote:How do you have a healthy fan base when a downloadable H7 map runs to 200mb? It barely takes a second to download any H4 and H3 map. Fans of H7 will have to wait 5, 10 minutes for their map.
I don't disagree; the new map features are resource draining. But we can fix that. As soon as we have a working map section I we will create an arena where people can share their maps. They'd have to create and submit them, though.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 27 Feb 2016, 17:42

Im interested only JVC universe but I see there are some fans of Ashan. And section for him is needed.
But if maps to HVII need 200 mb !!! 100 maps 20 GB! Horrible. Map HIII,IV are 20kb size. But if you manage it will be good. I wish a lot of success all M&M fans.

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 28 Feb 2016, 17:37

I would at least want to think I am one of the people contributing to CH.
I try making maps for Heroes 3 and have together with my team released a couple of campaigns and some maps.

I owe it all to Celestial Heavens, without it, I wouldn't have met Yurian Stonebow, I wouldn't have made maps, I wouldn't have created the Sighisoara universe, and I wouldn't be able to get the same chance to write and create as I got today.

In the beginning when we made maps, we got a lot of response, we had playtesters, people commented our work and gave quick feedback. It was great fun, but as you are saying Kalah, it seems like people disappeared. I do miss those glory days that led to the joy and fun of making maps.

However, I don't think the battle is lost, but that other media should be used t reach out to more people, new people.
I created the Masters of Sighisoara facebook page, and I found a lot of new people, today we have over 200 followers and we get feedback etc from there. I take every chance to advertise for CH that I get.

I also decided to create an unofficial facebook page for Celestial Heavens that I am looking to get going soon. If you'd like to support it, check out
https://www.facebook.com/CHMightandMagic

Kalah, please keep the site alive, it has so much wonderful and useful information, I hope the community can get together and revive CH!

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 29 Feb 2016, 23:54

HeroOfPunk wrote: In the beginning when we made maps, we got a lot of response, we had playtesters, people commented our work and gave quick feedback. It was great fun, but as you are saying Kalah, it seems like people disappeared. I do miss those glory days that led to the joy and fun of making maps.
And I was one of them, also did a walkthrough of your first campaign because you guys had potential. But then you released other maps, which were in no way better or different than previous, while all top mapmakers try to open another door each time. Every month, there are 20-50 new H3 maps submitted to maps4heroes, every other month one top map is detailed in Heroes Community, with screens, strategies and solutions. If you want people interested and commenting your maps, you have to keep yourself informed, play or study new maps, then, if the creative fiber teases you, try to apply new content of what you learned in your own maps, after filtering through your own sensibility.

Or just design maps because this is fun for you. And accept that good maps are commented while mediocre maps are ignored. Because there is a large choice, now.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 02 Mar 2016, 19:27

Salamandre wrote:And I was one of them, also did a walkthrough of your first campaign because you guys had potential.
Salamandre, we remain grateful for your walkthrough, opinion and advise concerning the Masters of Sighisoara I campaign "The Murdered Innkeep". At that time there were quite a many people out there playing the said campaign, but little to none feedback actually reached as back then which would have discussed the entire 4-piece campaign, let alone a full fledged walkthrough. Kudos to you for being one of the active folks. It's all much appreciated.
Salamandre wrote: But then you released other maps, which were in no way better or different than previous, while all top mapmakers try to open another door each time.
Are you referring to the related standalone Sighisoara singlescenario maps "A Sighisoara Christmas, Prime Suspect and The Rogue's Hideout?" If so, please explain why you think that these "were in no way better or different than previous"? Or perhaps this was a veiled reference to my (Yurian Stonebow) solo maps released during the same time window, or to be more precise, the years 2011 to 2013. I'm not immune to criticism, you know.
Salamandre wrote:Every month, there are 20-50 new H3 maps submitted to maps4heroes, every other month one top map is detailed in Heroes Community, with screens, strategies and solutions.
I'm tempted to say that while we (HoP and Yurian) do not visit Heroes Community on daily basis, it's reasonable to expect that the site mentioned by you continues to draw followers amongst the vast Heroes fandom out there. So, I take your word for it. Screenies are good. I know how to take those.
Salamandre wrote:If you want people interested and commenting your maps, you have to keep yourself informed, play or study new maps, then, if the creative fiber teases you, try to apply new content of what you learned in your own maps, after filtering through your own sensibility.
We are always happy to meet new people, and especially so if they have a word or two to say about our campaigns and related "single" maps. :)
It's not far fetched, or so I believe, for me to say that meeting old acquaintances is equally rewarding when they come forward to share their comment about the World of Sighisoara with us. Contrary to what you might think, keeping us informed isn't that hard to do, but searching diligently through the vast database of maps4heroes with their 20 to 50 new Heroes III maps per month is at times difficult when one has a full day regular pay job to attend to as well. It drains our resources. As for new content, we evolve with each campaign released. It's quite natural.
Salamandre wrote:Or just design maps because this is fun for you. And accept that good maps are commented while mediocre maps are ignored. Because there is a large choice, now.
Designing new maps just for fun is what we do. We continue to write for us and see if we're happy with it, if yes, then why not release the work.
We are most of the time quite satisfied with our producs and the quality there within. After all, we do not give it the "Yurian's Seal of Approval" for nothing. Surely that alone should guarantee to you that the maps must be of excellent value. Since people continue to download our maps and even play them, we are left with impression that a choice (be it large or small) has been made. Not long ago we received news that some Heroes fans out there are playing our 1st Campaign using the WoG platform. We must be hugely popular if even the WoG players know of our work. (The Sighisoara Campaigns and maps are meant to be played under Heroes III: The Shadow of Death)

With all this said, I encourage Salamandre and others to re-embrace the World of Sighisoara. The Sighisoara story continues with the release of the Third Campaign, "A Gyondrian's Tale" in Q2 or the Second quarter of the fiscal year from the beginning of April to the end of June (04/01 - 06/30).

Feel free to contact the Sighisoara Team for more information and to participate Beta Testing the Third Campaign :)

Yurian Stonebow

Project Coordinator of the Masters of Sighisoara Heroes III Project
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “News”