Heroes VII Released

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Heroes VII Released

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 29 Sep 2015, 13:09

Might & Magic: Heroes VII was launched today. The wait is over, now it is time to see what the finished product actually looks like! I just downloaded the game (10GB) through Steam, but I presume downloading is not an option for everyone; thankfully, there are physical copies being sold as well.

We will publish a review in due course, but only after playing the game properly and also trying to use the editor. In the mean time, you can all discuss the game in our forums.
Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Re: Heroes VII Released

Unread postby Marzhin » 29 Sep 2015, 15:21

Unfortunately, in this case even buyers of the physical version will still have to download a rather huge day-1 patch, as was explained in this blog post.

Aemaeth
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Aemaeth » 29 Sep 2015, 19:28

At least, you have the game, and you have a wonderful Internet bandwidth kalah ;)... Some players had preorder physical's version of the collector and don't have the game in the box... I hope it's a tiny issue and don't concern others...

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 29 Sep 2015, 21:56

Steam review is poor. i will pass.

It seems like Ubisoft is chronically suffering from bad product management and subpar developers when it comes to the Heroes franchise.

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 29 Sep 2015, 23:58

I will take a look at this when the prices goes down.

For some reason, I haven't really been that hyped for Heroes since Homm5 - a product I really liked - but H6 wasn't nearly as good and this seems to fall in the same category (heroes 6 looked good but lacked something, this might have a richer gameplay but as it seems, the graphics doesn't seem finished, it looks rushed).

Ironmallet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ironmallet » 30 Sep 2015, 00:05

Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's s**t.

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 30 Sep 2015, 07:58

I saw the stream. Mahgawd, 'dem stillshot-3d-cutscene-thing! I was all like "wat?"

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 30 Sep 2015, 10:44

Marzhin wrote:Unfortunately,even buyers of the physical version will still have to download a rather huge day-1 patch.
Just the way Ubi run its business, i guess. Good luck with the release, look like you gonna need it...
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Fuddelbaerentatze
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fuddelbaerentatze » 30 Sep 2015, 16:46

Will Ubisoft allow us to install a single license on more than on computer? Will the Activation Process handle that? Id like to to install it on my notebook with egpu, but if that does not work out I have to install it on my workstation.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 30 Sep 2015, 16:52

The cutscenes are very awkward. If there was not enough money in the budget for real cutscenes why not explore different ways of storytelling rather than that weirdness? ;|
But anyway that's just one of the many issues with the game.

NoXTheRoXStaR
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NoXTheRoXStaR » 30 Sep 2015, 20:34

Coldy wrote:The cutscenes are very awkward. If there was not enough money in the budget for real cutscenes why not explore different ways of storytelling rather than that weirdness? ;|
But anyway that's just one of the many issues with the game.
Oh don't worry about the cut scenes, I'm sure after about 15 gigs worth of "updates/patches" they'll have generated enough money to replace those cardboard cutouts.... :rolleyes:

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Sep 2015, 23:09

10 GB, yikes! That's about 1/7 of my bandwidth cap for the whole month.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Oct 2015, 01:42

Then it's DVDs for you. No word on the size of the patch yet.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 01 Oct 2015, 10:36

Kalah wrote:Then it's DVDs for you. No word on the size of the patch yet.
It's all in the link I've posted above.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 01 Oct 2015, 22:32

Doesn't look good on the steam reviews. I guess I'm gonna wait for the impressions of the old-school residents here.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 02 Oct 2015, 02:23

I am not professing to be a reviewer of H7. However, I do know that beginning sentiment, whether it be negative or positive, may or may not reflect on how well the game mechanics are structured, as opposed to crashes and bugs, which can often be fixed relatively quickly. So it's both possible for early game sentiment that's positive, and although it's positive, can be based on stuff than doesn't stick in the long run; as well as early game sentiment that is negative, and although it's negative, can be based on stuff that also, doesn't stick in the long run. It's a balancing act between optimism and pragmatism for players and communities.

Anyway, what will be will be, and I thank all the Heroes players for continuing to support the series - as without people supporting a series, there is no series, no matter whether a company that buys an existing brand has every release at a very high quality or not. However, I am cautiously optimistic for the future of H7, and I have no worries for the future of the Heroes series, even if it is based on quality mods for existing games.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you have a great day and a great year! And I just want to highlight some mods for Heroes games:

HOMM 2
Project Ironfist at:
http://heroes2.forumactif.com/f17-heroe ... t-ironfist

HOMM 3
HOMM 3 The Succession Wars at:
http://heroes2.forumactif.com/f15-heroe ... ssion-wars
VCMI, a complete rewrite of Heroes 3 at: http://forum.vcmi.eu/

HOMM 4
Equilibris 3.51 - an oldie but a goodie, I find H4 gameplay quite refreshing and a joy to play after the initial negative sentiment release, and great for "comrades in arms" type campaigns when you have heroes helping each other in battles, and a really good platform for stories. Powerful scripting is a highlight for both the game and the mod. Can be found at: http://equilibris.celestialheavens.com/ and forums at: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/14

HOMM 5
Might and Magic: Heroes 5.5 main thread can be found at:
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=41303
A great refinement of a game that was quite good in its Tribes of the East incarnation - the mod improves the game and increases the strengths the game already had. My favourite mod after Equilibris, and one of the best mods I've ever played in that it enhances the game extremely well without changing its core.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

NoXTheRoXStaR
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NoXTheRoXStaR » 02 Oct 2015, 07:34

Or...OR...Ubisoft could just hand the reins back to Nival.

ChimTheGrim
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ChimTheGrim » 02 Oct 2015, 09:32

If a company like Ubisoft would just let there be 1 polished game in the Heroes series and put the money forward, then the series could be a big deal again. I hope by the time HoMM 7 gets an expansion, a lot of issues get fixed and/or updated.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 02 Oct 2015, 09:58

From what I gather so far, Ubisoft allocated an extremely low budget for this game, which is evident from the rehashing of many things from the two previous titles (MMX and HoMMVI). From artifacts to creatures, there is a lot which was imported from those titles and simply got a facelift.

However it's far too early to judge the game. When I played the demo of HoMM2 -back in the last century- I initially disliked it. Just by playing a bit you cannot make up your mind about what you think of the game. Thus far I experienced no major bugs, no crashes, no nothing. The gameplay looks smooth and fast and the same goes for performance (I am running it with everything set to the highest quality).

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 04 Oct 2015, 15:30

I pre-ordered HoMMVII Deluxe a month ago. I went with the Deluxe version for HoMM3 HD included. The Steam forums are so loaded with negative trolls that it's tough to even ask a question in there without complete mayhem.

I've own every single HoMM game (including all the add-ons) & personally I like VII. Granted, it needs work but overall I like what I see. It does appear Ubisoft held back on money & I shows in some areas. The gameplay itself is intact. I would wait another month or so for some new patches if you're considering buying it. Maybe it might be $10.00 less around the holidays. Otherwise it looks pretty solid.

Return to “News”