Video: Discover Sylvan

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Jul 2015, 22:23

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="/https://www.youtube.com/embed/dO-n-QA0W44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1436566998
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Jul 2015, 00:53

"They are suspicious of outsiders" *Two skeletons casually walk through the forest*

^ That was the best part of the video.

Camera angles and graphics still abysmal though :(.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 11 Jul 2015, 14:16

mr.hackcrag wrote:^ That was the best part of the video.
I liked the part where we learned "we will be unable to sustain a strong army without the help of a city" and "the Sylvan faction has their own strategy in battle," enlightening lol

hello Heroes, only you can save your people from this threat, the threat being Ubisoft lol

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 12 Jul 2015, 14:28

That is the problem with you, Erwinner. You assume or demand a game that is made for you specifically. The company and the developers on the other hand, might want to bring new people to the series. Ubisoft does not owe you a game.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Re: Video: Discover Sylvan

Unread postby Erwinner » 12 Jul 2015, 14:43

hellegennes wrote:That is the problem with you, Erwinner. You assume or demand a game that is made for you specifically. The company and the developers on the other hand, might want to bring new people to the series. Ubisoft does not owe you a game.
sorry hellgenes, but I beg to differ with your entire post lol

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Jul 2015, 15:07

Really? So you actually think that Ubisoft "owe you a game"?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 12 Jul 2015, 15:16

yep, I think when you put "Heroes 7" on the box it fosters certain expectations lol

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Jul 2015, 16:12

Well nobody forces you to buy.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 12 Jul 2015, 16:18

indeed, and therefore I don't plan to buy it lol

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 12 Jul 2015, 18:13

Well, the game is not meant to be produced for you, as if 50 people have any reason to work for you and you only, so making tutorial videos for new players is quite normal. In fact, that's what manuals were for. Today of course it is easier for new players to just watch videos rather than spending time to read a manual; especially younger kids.

That much you would know if you have the original copies of NWC's Heroes games.

But of course you won't buy the game. I'm guessing you 'll still play it though.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 12 Jul 2015, 18:22

Well, when you invite the wolf into the sheepfold don't be surprised about what occurs.

If "today we present you this, tomorrow we will present you that", then don't be offended if critics are extreme. It looks to me they ask for, be it positive or negative. I don't even get it how the team can work and find creative ideas, seeing the chaotic reactions from official forums. An important part of the creative process is the degree of self confidence you reach, and this requires for isolation, concentration. They should keep all this secret until the release day and focus on playability, not on public reactions.

Personally I like the graphics, it looks to me like a lot of work and dedication was put in. Which raises some valid questions too, because the chances you see those creatures and heroes design details are infinitesimal, in battle you should have a lot of other priorities. Like planning the outcome for example... I would prefer rougher graphics but somewhat a farther and constant perspective, like Civ 5. As it comes, I expect a lot of zoom in and out, which is practically the death of Heroes as TBS game (it already was with H5 but one can still hope).

The water looks gorgeous, I was always sad H2 and H3 had a shame of sea graphics, now is sublime. Hope they also come with more objects for. The sylvan heroes design is great concept but the helms are gay, I don't know a better word to describe, sorry.

I see also that they prioritize a lot the animations as for everything including interface, for example the post-battle experience gain display is an animated counter. It takes one second for a small battle like in the video, but how long will take for battles giving millions of xp? Details which will probably become irritating after years of playing, not even speaking about the technical requirements. This is NOT Skyrim.

I will buy it though.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 12 Jul 2015, 19:23

Well, that was not a "tutorial video" and certainly shouldn't be presented as a "how to play" video.

Not sure what that brief spat was about up there, but there sure are a lot of assumptions flying around there and you know what they say about assuming...
Salamandre wrote:focus on playability, not on public reactions.
Could it be possible that their business model is based around PR to soften the aftermath of another unfinished/unpolished game? 8|

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 12 Jul 2015, 19:38

hellegennes wrote:Well, the game is not meant to be produced for you, as if 50 people have any reason to work for you and you only, so making tutorial videos for new players is quite normal. In fact, that's what manuals were for. Today of course it is easier for new players to just watch videos rather than spending time to read a manual; especially younger kids.
I am not even following why you have spun off into a monologue on whether the game should be produced for me, I never said that, I said that I don't like this Sylvan video because I believe it is unbelievably patronizing even beyond tutorial or new player levels lol

what I do believe is it should be produced to appeal to the fanbase first and new players too, and I guarantee you that the buggy mess in the mold of Heroes 6 this is on track to become will appeal to none of those lol
hellegennes wrote:That much you would know if you have the original copies of NWC's Heroes games.

But of course you won't buy the game. I'm guessing you 'll still play it though.
I will neither buy it nor play it because the quality looks low to me, which is my right, seems as though you resort to imply I must be a pirate because I am critical of the game, arr lol

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 13 Jul 2015, 06:56

If you think this video is patronizing, then surely you haven't read any of the other games' manuals.

If you won't play the game, then it makes zero sense to come here and whine about every new bit of info published, unless of course you have nothing better to do with your life than whining about a game you 'll neither play nor care at all. The fact that you are supposed to be a fan means nothing. No one wants to dedicate so much time for something they don't care about. It makes no sense and if it makes no sense, it usually is not true.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 13 Jul 2015, 10:23

@hellegennes

Dude of course he cares, just as any other fan who would love to see this franchise return to its greater glory. You have different opinion on the matter, is your right, but please stop trying to condemn other people's opinions. Ironically, who is "wasting" time here?

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 13 Jul 2015, 14:40

hellegennes wrote:If you won't play the game, then it makes zero sense to come here and whine about every new bit of info published, unless of course you have nothing better to do with your life than whining about a game you 'll neither play nor care at all. The fact that you are supposed to be a fan means nothing. No one wants to dedicate so much time for something they don't care about. It makes no sense and if it makes no sense, it usually is not true.
it makes perfect sense to me, if I didn't care about making the series better I would be silent and wouldn't complain about its flaws lol

meanwhile you suggest we are wasters who have nothing to do, yet you are the one who has chosen to pass his time by starting ad hominem quarrels in the comment sections on a fan forum lol

if you are not just personally targeting me for some reason and it really is my criticism of Ubisoft that gets on your nerves, why not go into the Heroes 7 section and counter the vast majority of posters there who are trashing the game into the ground? I'm sure that would fill anyone's schedule lol

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 13 Jul 2015, 15:17

It doesn't get on my nerves because it's not even criticism. You just complain about things, I don't remember reading any constructive comment of yours. You are not making the series better by making statements, like "the writing is awful". This is not criticism.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 13 Jul 2015, 16:02

hellegennes wrote:It doesn't get on my nerves because it's not even criticism. You just complain about things, I don't remember reading any constructive comment of yours. You are not making the series better by making statements, like "the writing is awful". This is not criticism.
actually, that definitely constitutes criticism by many dictionary definitions, such as merriam-webster "the act of expressing disapproval and of noting the problems or faults of a person or thing" lol

even so, if you are still going to go ahead and keep ad hominem arguing me in particular, I direct you to HC where I have often gone into more depth of the logic on why I think Ubisoft is a bad fit for the series lol

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Jul 2015, 17:13

hellegennes wrote:It doesn't get on my nerves because it's not even criticism. You just complain about things, I don't remember reading any constructive comment of yours. You are not making the series better by making statements, like "the writing is awful". This is not criticism.
It is criticism, it is just not constructive criticism.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 13 Jul 2015, 17:48

^ BS! Enough with this "constructive criticism" and "political correctness". I'm sick of this.

I've got bored to death by this one. Too much MMHVII atmosphere. And I find the proud of the developers - the graphics - at the same level that the King's Bounty graphics are.

Return to “News”