Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 25 Sep 2014, 08:41

Panda Tar wrote:>>>Next voting, Stronghold units, will it ever occur now? ;|
I don't remember any words about next poll subject.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Sep 2014, 15:09

Didn't they say, that "30 days from now the next voting would be Stronghold line up"? Now...where did I read that... ;|

The text is like this:
We have been granted permission to publish some info here and you can expect weekly updates straight from us here. In the future hopefully we will be able to provide information directly at the website. I'm glad to also inform you that you will have chance to vote for Stronghold line-up a month from now. We have had so many inquiries about Behemoth so we have decided to include it in one of our line-ups. We will also have a water/sea based champion as possible choice and it will be by far the most dominant unit of the game in sea-battles. This unit will be revealed at the line-up vote so hopefully this is something you look forward to. Thunderbird I'm afraid will not be making it's appearance in this game at least in the original version based on feedback so far. Look forward in hearing from us next week or once the current vote is over.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Sep 2014, 20:43

Let's first see what the outcome of the last vote was, because apparently some people misinterpreted what the developers wrote in the first vote:

"Use whatever means you deem necessary to rally the other members of this – informal – meeting to your choice".

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 26 Sep 2014, 09:30

Panda Tar wrote:>>>Didn't they say, that "30 days from now the next voting would be Stronghold line up"? Now...where did I read that... ;|

The text is like this:
We have been granted permission to publish some info here and you can expect weekly updates straight from us here. In the future hopefully we will be able to provide information directly at the website. I'm glad to also inform you that you will have chance to vote for Stronghold line-up a month from now. We have had so many inquiries about Behemoth so we have decided to include it in one of our line-ups. We will also have a water/sea based champion as possible choice and it will be by far the most dominant unit of the game in sea-battles. This unit will be revealed at the line-up vote so hopefully this is something you look forward to. Thunderbird I'm afraid will not be making it's appearance in this game at least in the original version based on feedback so far. Look forward in hearing from us next week or once the current vote is over.
This post was accused and removed for being false.
Marzhin wrote:The Stronghold line-up will definitely not be open to vote...
PS
Who stole my bar from above avatar? :P

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Sep 2014, 13:09

Avonu wrote: This post was accused and removed for being false.
Marzhin wrote:The Stronghold line-up will definitely not be open to vote...
Ahhh, better then. :)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Sep 2014, 14:41

Avonu wrote: Who stole my bar from above avatar? :P
That's probably me. I'm messing around with the ranks, trying to introduce some new ones.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Sep 2014, 14:52

Ah, thanks for the Forum Mascot then. It suits my fluffyness like no other. :hail: I loved it.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 26 Sep 2014, 14:53

Yeah, please no more votes. Just do your job Limbic and deliver a good game! :)
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Sep 2014, 15:10

Wow. Fans actually complaining that their opinions are heard ... :P
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Sep 2014, 15:15

I didn't see the Ironland Creatures Part 2 and now there's the Part 3 for those tales of 10 years in their blog. Where are the news in our boards, Kalah? :tongue:

jeff

Re: Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

Unread postby jeff » 26 Sep 2014, 21:00

Kalah wrote:Wow. Fans actually complaining that their opinions are heard ... :P
No, Fans mad that their opinion lost. :-D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 26 Sep 2014, 22:53

People! People! I have good news! We now have democracy! You always have the right to... not vote. That's right, it's true! You don't have to vote if you don't want to! Isn't it spectacular?

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 26 Sep 2014, 23:45

I oppose voting because 1) With the effort of creating choices, we saw that Limbic actually created three sub-optimal line-ups, 2) The fan mass does not necessarily have the expertise to make the right decision, 3) Having choices does not mean there is democracy (see also point 1), 4) More often than not, democracy is overrated ;)

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 26 Sep 2014, 23:50

Not voting does not protect me from the voes of the voting process if I end-up being affected by sub-par outcomes due to the handicaps of the voting process or voters themselves ;)

I'm not a fan of the way democracy is implemented 99.99% of the time. Democracy is kind of a Utopia, like Communism, lol. Anyway, enough of philosophy!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Sep 2014, 01:06

Tell us the truth, Gryphon, you're sad that you're not going to be in Haven faction, are you not? Com'ere, a furry hug so you can feel better. :hug:

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 27 Sep 2014, 01:41

Whaaaat? I'm not in the Haven faction??? Who said that? Where? Why?

Now I'm sad... I can really use that hug PT :)

But why, seriously?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Vote for the Sylvan Lineup!

Unread postby Avonu » 27 Sep 2014, 03:26

theGryphon wrote:>>>Whaaaat? I'm not in the Haven faction??? Who said that? Where? Why?
Because griffins favourite meal is... horse. And I think cavaliers wouldn't be happy if you would eat their mounts. :P

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 27 Sep 2014, 10:56

I think you misunderstand what democracy is. Democracy is to go the way of the majority. Why is it overrated? No matter if they make choices that end up to be good or bad, going the way of the majority is better than going the way of a minority. Not to mention that the latter is more dangerous because you may have a minority that makes better choices than the people, but you may also have a minority that makes worse choices and suppresses everyone else. Thus, it's better to be on the safe side of averaging opinions. You can never have the best choices, but you are not in danger of having the word choices either.

With regard to the voting process, if you think all three lineups were sup-bar, what difference does it make what the majority chooses? It would be one of these three anyway, no matter if we are the ones choosing or the developers are.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 27 Sep 2014, 15:26

@hellegennes

I don't think you understood what I said. Democracy is BS if the choices given are crippled. If the choices presented are merely manifestations of hidden agendas dictated by a strong minority, or collusion, or simply limited wisdom, no matter what the majority picks, the outcome will only reflect those manifestations. Democracy is good only if the choices are optimal; that is, if they're the product of unbiased, honest, and capable wisdom. Show me one instance of that ;)

I know that people think Democracy is good because, since it reflects the majority vote, the outcome must be good. But given that the outcome can only be one of the options given, how can it be good if all options are crippled? That's why I said Democracy, as in "the promise that Democracy produces good outcomes" is a Utopia. Marx had good intentions with Communism too; it's just not possible to implement it, it's easily corrupted. Any system can be corrupted, even Democracy... So, it's better to keep an open eye, rather than be zealots of any system, because otherwise you may never know who it's hurting and who it's serving :)

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 28 Sep 2014, 01:12

A poll for a limited scope, like this one, is not a good reflection of democracy. In a democratic environment, the options presented are the ones the majority "created", whether directly or indirectly. One example of the indirect involvement of the majority is the "production" of politicians. Politicians are part of society, since they do not ascent to power through birthright. What shapes the politicians we have is society itself; its trends, its fads, its desires and wishes. And since in free societies these are not dictated by one individual -or a few individuals-, the option itself -in this case the politician- was created by the choices of the majority.

More direct is the way the elections work. If you don't live in a totally corrupt state, it's virtually impossible to not have ALL imaginable choices in the candidates pool. If you desire an option this option will be created, either through the law of demand and supply or if you start campaigning for the option yourself (or BE the option yourself). The only question in how efficient democracy is at this level is if the current system allows people to have a very good appreciation of all the candidates, have the necessary education to evaluate all of these options in an equal fashion, without being swayed by the media, and of course how mass media influence even highly intelligent and educated people and promote the candidates they want -for their own reasons.

For me, the only reason for democracy to fail is to not have highly educated people. If your people can't have square logic and sound judgement, democracy doesn't work. Especially if the people live in fear (which the system itself may instil in them). Still it's better than all the alternatives we've ever had throughout history.
Edited on Sat, Sep 27 2014, 21:20 by hellegennes

Return to “News”