Heroes VII Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby theGryphon » 17 Aug 2014, 19:06

@JSE

To be fair, flanking, giving further role to obstacles, and different (and seemingly endless, given a good map editor) objectives are quite good additions so far. I mean, things are in development still. I'll keep an optimistic stance for now. Let's keep fingers crossed for further gameplay and strategy bits that can enrich the game and give more life to it.

It may seem superficial but visuals and a "live" map do give a good bling to boost initial sales. However, UBI and Limbic should read these and understand (if they don't already) that the success of any Heroes game depends on the longevity of the game itself and it can only come with a good map (preferably campaign) editor and at least a reasonable AI. That's why HIII was so good and we love it so much, for no other reason (since its longevity made us connect with it more), and that's why all the rest since then failed (at least comparably).
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

jeff

Re: Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby jeff » 18 Aug 2014, 00:15

theGryphon wrote:@JSE
However, UBI and Limbic should read these and understand (if they don't already) that the success of any Heroes game depends on the longevity of the game itself and it can only come with a good map (preferably campaign) editor and at least a reasonable AI. That's why HIII was so good and we love it so much, for no other reason (since its longevity made us connect with it more), and that's why all the rest since then failed (at least comparably).
I agree with most of what you said. Whether you enjoyed H-IV or not its editor was the best Heroes editor. From the time UBI announced the development of H-5; they were continually told make the editor like H-IV but add a few capabilities that fans wanted. We would have had better luck talking to a stonewall. :wall: Fabrice later denied knowing fans were unhappy with the H-5 editor. While most thought it would not be possible; H-6's editor was even worse. For many this is UBI's last chance; for me anyway I may not even be active in the gaming community by the time H-8 is released. It is time this company creates a memorable game worthy of the series. While UBI did make some fan inroads with MMX; they have been tone deaf when listening to fans about the Heroes franchise.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 18 Aug 2014, 03:07

>Well the art style is still based on the h5 work Nival did. Griffin empire was is still based on east European feel.

A Polish-Lithuanian painting in the room... is this a foreshadowing that the Holy Falcon Empire will be partitioned?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby markkur » 19 Aug 2014, 12:21

jeff wrote: ... they have been tone deaf when listening to fans about the Heroes franchise.
Thought I'd pop on and strongly second. I probably used the H5 editor has much as anyone has but the thing was only half finished (had to script missing functions) and had "some" strengths with some weaknesses, the most important aspect for any HoMM editor is, as Jeff said elsewhere, it's ease of use, i.e. tick-boxes for Objectives etc.

To me, it's not only about making things easy for a new fan to fall in love with the game, get inspired and easily contribute time and (never forget this developers) "growing" talent to the community but even experienced Map/Campaign creators need the same "quality" tool-box to use in getting down to business and not spending silly hours doing the simplest tasks.

Anyway, I'm not saying anything we've not been saying all along but just in case the hype is real this time around (so far I hope it is) then seeing a couple opines could help. Foolish or not I think Limbic is more keen on the roots of this game than I've seen since H3.

Maybe this time UBI will finally understand that it IS possible to stay old school, empower the fans for future content and have the whole community larger and happier for it.

One last thought; To me the future of gaming is a battle over DLC where a community is weaned on tidbits for cash and the old fashioned...let the fans give it their all. JVC not only got this he helped create it! There is a boatload of unseen sales on the flipside of the current game. Fans can and do enjoy the creation side as much if not more than playing a single campaign. Think long term here...like JVC did and profit will take care of itself.

Cheers Limbic

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Aug 2014, 14:57

:up: :yes: I hope they listen.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 20 Aug 2014, 01:08

After reading the interview Kalah just posted, I'm sure..."the times they are a changin'"...back :D

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Aug 2014, 14:49

Two things that I most disliked in H6 was the dependable usage of teleporting (between towns) and the zoning system. How would they be in this new version?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mordredrs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mordredrs » 09 Sep 2014, 16:23

I'm not a programmer or developer, so my observation comes from a player's perspective, but I've been playing a lot of xcom and it uses unreal engine, right? Is it UE3 or UE4?
From a player's perspective, it seems that this engine is more "object friendly" than the one presented in MMH6, since it seems to use more variables from objects like cover, flanking, explosions, area damage...
I would buy it if it comes with a decent AI and a good random map generator.
"Beware of spellcasters with bats as familiars. It means they have regular need to be abroad at night."

overall
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby overall » 28 Sep 2014, 06:11

God damn this games comes fast i havent even manage to play that H6 yet well actually i tried but my graphics card fan keep so much noise that need to drop it but i have fix that now so i could try it again.... but this H7 demo video looks nice well similar to H6... i like this avalanche and cave flooding i allways wanted interference bit more on that adventure map... im not much in to this UI its not bad but it would nice there was few different ones... and this factions icons looks bit more like wingdings x) and sound effects could be some ways bit more satisfying... but otherwise looks really nice looking forward to see how this works out :)

Return to “News”