Zero Punctation Review: MMXL

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Feb 2014, 20:41

I came across a Zero Punctuation review of Might and Magic X by chance on Reddit. If you're unfamiliar with this column, well you need to be properly caffeniated, open your ears wide, and not mind the NSFW language:

<script src="/http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... "></script>

Do you agree or disagree with the criticism from the review?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1393274461
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Feb 2014, 15:39

You mean to tell me you dont watch it religiously... HERETIC!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 25 Feb 2014, 18:52

What a twat! Didn't want to listen to it 50 times to try and understand what the hell he was saying. I did notice he had a an excellent grasp of the f... and c... words. Was that supposed to impress us? If you're going to review a game, review the game. If you think your you're hilariously funny, then do stand up comedy, but please,please don't try both at the same time because then the review sucks and so does the comedy. Which brings me back to the point about the f.. and c... words - you can tell he really wants to be a stand up comic because those words are staples of stand up.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Feb 2014, 21:29

"It's like playing D&D when your dungeon master's bored". LOL. :D

Basically, I have never heard criticism given in such a sarcastic yet funny way.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ronus03
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ronus03 » 26 Feb 2014, 13:52

Might & Magic 40? Getting a bit ahead of yourselves there. :P
Hats off to all contributors, in all shapes and sizes. Keep up the good work.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Feb 2014, 14:01

It's a review from the future! :D
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 26 Feb 2014, 16:53

Most Yahtzee reviews are 90 % entertainment and only 10 % actual criticism. Within these 10 %, however, there is usually some wisdom and valuable insight to be found. The same is true about this particular review.

The really important part -- in my opinion -- is when he argues that a step-based movement system was used in the first era M&M games simply because of the technology available at the time. I agree with him that NWC would have chosen a different approach if it had been feasible. This theory is obviously supported by the fact that starting with M&M 6, all second-era games had a free movement system.

I can see of course that the step-based movement and turn-based gameplay of M&M 10 were chosen to give the game a particular retro feel and to recreate the strategic playing style of the first-era games. Unfortunately, this approach to game design seems exactly opposite to that of the original creators of M&M: NWC always tried to be state-of-the-art in terms of technology and gameplay.

Korbac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Korbac » 28 Feb 2014, 10:59

I think this guy should go play some modern casual games or something like angry birds. Not noticing when you level up and not realising what Destiny means is just the reviewer being awfully dumb. All the stats are clearly explained and it is very clear when you level up.

Oh and as the person above me said about the reviewer trying to be funny and failing miserably. I agree.

Return to “News”