StarForce: It's Not Over

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Apr 2006, 22:07

If the Russian editions don't cost very much, why do they bother with SF protection there and not elsewhere? Is it that decreased sales of more expensive editions scared them more than the loss of the cheap ones does?

... surely not.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 23 Apr 2006, 00:59

Quote by ThunderTitan:

Ah, Russia... eternal child of Ivan the Terrible. :devious:

End Quote

LOOOL!!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Apr 2006, 02:02

@Kalah:

Because their russians.. prietenii stiu de ce...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Apr 2006, 04:21

@ JoniJM
*choke-choke-faint* Image

This is totally a senseless decision Nival is making. What are they trying to prove? Just how stupid they are?

What is Scorch reading?

Boycott StarForce!
:thinking:

Smart baby dragons know how to avoid danger when it is near.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 23 Apr 2006, 07:45

If they were stupid, they wouldn't be able to create the game, would they? :)

FantoMaxJM
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby FantoMaxJM » 23 Apr 2006, 08:02

..I think this decision is been argued by the fact that 90% of CD´s in Russia are products of piratism (this is an estimate figure from couple of years back though).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein | Kiitos Lordi!

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 23 Apr 2006, 09:29

But if the English version is to be released without starforce (and subsequently cracked etc and pirated and sold, and probably translated too) then there really is no point. They're adding an extra incentive for us not to buy their licensed copy. And let's face it, most Russians WILL buy a licensed copy over a pirated one. Just so long as it costs, say... only maybe 50-100 rubles more (1-2 quid).

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: StarForce: It's Not Over

Unread postby Veldrynus » 23 Apr 2006, 12:15

Damn. It seems, I won't buy the russian version... either.
JoniJM wrote:..I think this decision is been argued by the fact that 90% of CD´s in Russia are products of piratism (this is an estimate figure from couple of years back though).
That's what I think too. The percentage of pirated CDs (games) in East Europe and Russia is higher than 95%. This fact has damn good reasons. If a single game costs more than 20-30% of your monthly income, then you simply won't buy it. Only, a very significant price reduction could peacefully solve the problem of piracy here.
I wonder how much cheaper the russian version is? Anyway, this looks like a stupid and useless move by Ubisoft. :|
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

DarkeN Q
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkeN Q » 23 Apr 2006, 13:29

It's not an Ubisoft move - local publishers are to blame. However, Ubisoft could try and persuade their Russian colleagues to remove SF at least from this particular game...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Apr 2006, 13:47

DarkeN Q wrote:It's not an Ubisoft move - local publishers are to blame. However, Ubisoft could try and persuade their Russian colleagues to remove SF at least from this particular game...
Local publishers can do what they want,but only if they get the green light from ubi.So this means ubi agreed with this.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Apr 2006, 15:25

Sikon wrote:If they were stupid, they wouldn't be able to create the game, would they? :)
While the writers, artists & programmers may not be stupid, it's always the marketing department that makes the most senseless decisions. Just like with 3do, whose marketing department decided to rush Heroes IV out the door too soon, thereby causing the more speedy demise of the company; and taking NWC with it.

I wonder if it's too late to cancel my preordered game?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Apr 2006, 17:00

Sikon wrote:If they were stupid, they wouldn't be able to create the game, would they? :)
Wisdom and Intelligence are diferent modifiers... :tongue:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 23 Apr 2006, 18:33

Before we rejoice that this only the Russian version and not all others, I have something to share.

I never was one of those "boycott SF" people, but I was happy nonetheless to hear it was dropped. Now, I just checked the order page for the U.S. Limited Edition and this is what I found in the system requirements section.

"NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives."

Now, before anyone goes crazy and starts threatening Ubi again, note that I don't recall if that was always there. It may be from when the game still contained SF, but in all honesty I don't remember it being there 3 days ago when I ordered my copy.

DarkeN Q
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DarkeN Q » 23 Apr 2006, 18:39

Local publishers can do what they want,but only if they get the green light from ubi.So this means ubi agreed with this.

Ubi just don't give a damn about local affairs,it seems. Though if it was Russian publisher who refused to use SF, Ubisoft would probably enforce it on them.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Apr 2006, 18:43

King Imp wrote:Before we rejoice that this only the Russian version and not all others, I have something to share.

I never was one of those "boycott SF" people, but I was happy nonetheless to hear it was dropped. Now, I just checked the order page for the U.S. Limited Edition and this is what I found in the system requirements section.

"NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives."

Now, before anyone goes crazy and starts threatening Ubi again, note that I don't recall if that was always there. It may be from when the game still contained SF, but in all honesty I don't remember it being there 3 days ago when I ordered my copy.
I seem to remember that that notice was there when starforce was included.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Apr 2006, 19:04

Aren't they like required to say that? Just like "the X isn't responsible for any damage the Y program does blah blah blah"?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 Apr 2006, 19:34

ThunderTitan wrote:Aren't they like required to say that? Just like "the X isn't responsible for any damage the Y program does blah blah blah"?
No theyre not.But if they dont say it,anyone can sue them and win without sweat.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 23 Apr 2006, 22:11

King Imp wrote: "NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives."

I didn't notice that "Notice" either when I preordered my game, which was about a week ago. It may have been just added and may be a warning about their new copy-protection, SecuROM. But it has got me kinda worried. Like maybe UbiSoft is pulling a fast one on us unsuspecting fans. 8|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Apr 2006, 22:50

Well they are being sued in the States aren't they? They might be just making sure their butts are covered next time.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Apr 2006, 22:52

Maybe this Russian thing was part of Ubi's cancellation deal with StarForce...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “News”