JVC Available?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

JVC Available?

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2013, 15:59

The free-to-play <i>Command & Conquer</i> title Victory Studios were working on, has been cancelled. While not clear from the cancellation post on <a target="_blank" href="/http://www.commandandconquer.com/en/new ... nquer">the studio's website</a>, EA have confirmed to Polygon that this means the Victory Studios team <a target="_blank" href="/http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/50432 ... nquer">are being disbanded</a>.

With that in mind, maybe Ubisoft should pounce on JVC (not literally) and recruit him for future M&M titles such as <i>Heroes VII</i>?

Thanks to our reader JSE for the tip.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1383148769
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Oct 2013, 16:38

At this point, EA cancelling games should be taken as a good thing. At least it won't ruin the C&C series further.

Though I always find it amusing that the same person created both EA and 3DO.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Oct 2013, 17:55

By the way, he stated in his recent interview for MM10 open dev blog that he'd like to make a new Might and Magic game. Who knows, maybe there's still hope that Ubi hires JVC and even allows him to create a new MM game (RPG or a spin-off, like Heroes) set in the original universe. That'd be awesome.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Ehlesgens!
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

JVC Available?

Unread postby Ehlesgens! » 30 Oct 2013, 17:58

It would indeed be great, I think he is the only person who could bring back what made the older versions of the game so special ^^

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

JVC Available?

Unread postby JSE » 30 Oct 2013, 18:06

I wholeheartedly agree, Ehlesgens! Also, an involvement of JVC (a major one at least) would probably convince lots of fans of the original M&M era to return to the franchise.

Ehlesgens!
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: JVC Available?

Unread postby Ehlesgens! » 30 Oct 2013, 18:59

JSE wrote:Also, an involvement of JVC (a major one at least) would probably convince lots of fans of the original M&M era to return to the franchise.
Yes, I agree with that too :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2013, 20:21

I'll bet if he does return that the game we end up with is still going to cause complaints ... The M&M community just can't stop complaining no matter who makes the game. :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

JVC Available?

Unread postby JSE » 30 Oct 2013, 20:39

Well, this is true for every game community, I'd say. The sole reason why the new C&C was cancelled were the complaints of the C&C community after all...

Apart from that, I think we pretty much know what we want: We want Heroes and M&M games as good as the originals (games released until 2001, or 2002 for some of us). And we know that JVC can create these. Why? Because he was either director and/or lead designer or designer for most of the originals!

The day we stop complaining will simply be the day we get another *good* M&M game -- and JVC can play an important role to make this happen. He made it happen before.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

JVC Available?

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Oct 2013, 20:55

Well, fans did complain during JVC's era, although most of the time the focus of the complaint was that he wasn't involved enough (ie every game after MM7).

I would surely be happy if JVC did another MM game, but I'm not sure he could, anymore. Creativity and freshness usually go together with young age. There ARE talented designers who are not in their prime but we haven't seen anything created by JVC in a long time. All the projects he was working on after NWC dissolved were either cancelled or he left the companies making them.

My heart tells me he still has it because he is a brilliant designer. My mind tells me that I should have no idea if he still has it in him.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

JVC Available?

Unread postby JSE » 30 Oct 2013, 22:09

JVC is in his early 50s now -- certainly not too old to be creative and make great games. If age is a factor at all...

Apart from that, given the current state of the M&M franchise, I'm quite sure that the return of the original visionary is our only chance for a positive turn.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 31 Oct 2013, 09:09

I don't know if Ubi should want this. Bringing JVC back will not allow Ubi to say: aw heck, we'll go back to the old universe. Something that would really make JVC shine.

Putting JVC to work on the Ubi M&M universe will most likely restrict him in what he would want to do for a new M&M game - there is (and this is getting clearer and clearer) a whole bible for this new universe. Ofcourse such things can change, but would you want to? A cheesy explaination as to why things are back to the old universe?

Then what would JVC add? His name, perhaps his input on base of game design. Was game design something that really sets the old and new universe apart?

Sorry for being a cinic (especially after not showing my face so long) but that's just my 2 cents.
Grah!

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

JVC Available?

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 31 Oct 2013, 09:12

I think it's more likely that he's going to start a Kickstarter campaign to create a "spiritual successor" (sic) to Might & Magic or Heroes. Even if Ubisoft hired him it's highly unlikely that they'll let him have too much say about things like the setting...

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Oct 2013, 10:24

Thelonius, it's not necessary to go back to the original universe, just bringing it back would be enough. There is literally nothing preventing Ubisoft from making games set in both universes, especially if they hire JVC, in which case they'll more than likely be able to do the original universe ones right.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Oct 2013, 10:57

The really big difference between then and now is the online aspect; Ubisoft will make no future Heroes game without a big online connection. It would be interesting to see how JVC would solve this, whilst keeping the fans happy DRM-wise.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 31 Oct 2013, 16:35

XEL II:
Let me clarify, I like the old universe. But two universes next ot each other? Wouldn't that be very confusing? I mean, two worlds within 1 universe, that's (certainly in the old universe) understandable. But having the same title on 2 universes...

Kalah:
It would be interesting to see what his views on this aspect are. There are many other aspects on which his views and/or imput would be very interesting, but would Ubisoft hire him for that?

So basicly my main point was (and is) what could be that extra/added value of JVC what other individuals cannot bring (aside from being the creator of the original and now old universe?) Not saying that I could do what he does, but I see Marzhin for instance doing a great job...
Grah!

Maciek
Scout
Scout

JVC Available?

Unread postby Maciek » 31 Oct 2013, 19:13

JVC was once very interested in makeing Might and Magic Online, wasn't he?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

JVC Available?

Unread postby hellegennes » 31 Oct 2013, 20:20

@Maciek:

Yes. The kind that needs a bucket load of money, which was why he sold NWC to 3DO. I doubt Ubisoft would go for that kind of thing.

prichindel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

JVC Available?

Unread postby prichindel » 01 Nov 2013, 10:02

In other news, Ubisoft kills the online pass:

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/01/ubis ... line-pass/

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

JVC Available?

Unread postby Marzhin » 01 Nov 2013, 16:19

I'm sorry to read that. I know the project had a long and complicated development, and when we met him at GamesCom JVC was happy and relieved that it was finally going to see the light of day.

Although it would be awesome to work with JVC on future Might & Magic projects, it's probably easier said than done. I think to be meaningful his involvement would require him to be a real part of the dev team, working closely with them on a day-to-day basis. But the M&M core team is located in Paris, France, and most of the dev studios we work with are somewhere in Europe. Would JVC be willing, or even able, to come work here? It's probably not so simple.

In any case, the closure of EA Victory does not necessarily mean JVC himself is out of a job. Maybe he will just integrate another part of EA.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

JVC Available?

Unread postby JSE » 01 Nov 2013, 18:16

If JVC is going to continue working for EA, we can pretty much stop speculating. But all we know at the moment is that Victory Games was shut down. To me, it seems likely that Jon is not too pleased about this situation and might want to seek out possibilities outside of EA. Maybe it would be an interesting idea for UbiSoft to contact him now and find out whether he is available or not.

The aspect of location is another matter of course: Jon might be willing to relocate to Paris -- that would be great and I can't see a reason why UbiSoft wouldn't want to give him a leading position within the M&M core team then. Even if Jon decided to stay in the US, I could see a viable option: UbiSoft already has numerous divisions and development studios all around the globe. A new dedicated M&M studio, located in the US, could be founded around Jon. I guess it could even be called New World Computing.

Regarding the question what Jon could contribute to future M&M games: All original M&M and Heroes games where Jon was directly involved very clearly illustrate his enormous talent and insight for designing superior role-playing and turn-based strategy games. Even though 12 years have passed since Jon last worked on an M&M title, I don't think it's even possible too loose a talent like that.

JVC should be given the opportunity to return to the game universe he has created and to set it on the right course for the future.

Return to “News”