Might and Magic X Trailer!

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Might and Magic X Trailer!

Unread postby Avonu » 22 Mar 2013, 16:54

hellegennes wrote:MMIX, however, had zero references to:

a) the MM universe
b) the previous plots
c) MM RPG style
On the Visitors from space... - in References, No. 7.
Full text is in Inventa Storca dungeon located outside Thronheim.

If you read Verhoffin's notes in ruins of his towers, you should find another clues.

You have also Letter from Roland laying near Nicolai in Drangheim.

So, saying there are zero references is simply not true.

hellegennes wrote:Plus, regarding deadlines, how can anyone say it's too soon for a 2013 release, when we have NO idea when development on the game did start?
From previous experience with Ubisoft games for example?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Mar 2013, 17:18

@Avonu:

I have come to believe that some of you just hate Ubisoft and are just nostalgic of your childhood, otherwise I can't wrap my head around the fact that you consider these to be serious references. Heroes 5 had 10 times more references than that. Plus, style-wise, both H5 and H6 are Heroes games while MMIX was not a MM game by any means apart from the title.

Seriously, now, a letter from Roland?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Mar 2013, 17:29

One thing I've noticed nobody talked about yet, is Limbic's involvement with the project. The company's logo can clearly be seen near the end of the clip.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 22 Mar 2013, 18:24

Good catch! ;)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Mar 2013, 18:47

Someone pointed out in the forum that this will likely be a small game that Ubisoft is releasing to test the waters regarding their RPG series. I now think this is right on the money. I retract my previous statement about not knowing how long the game is in development. If it's Limbic that's developing the game, it can't be too long.

What I gather from all the hints we have right now, is that Limbic will roughly have 1 year to develop the game. This most likely means that the game will be short and it will be tile-based, as this will save them both time and money (we know tha Limbic is not a big software house).

Yes, NWC released MM7 and MM8 with the same amount of development time, but they did rehash the same engine, and much of the content was shared with H3 (much of the artwork, to be exact). From what we can see, MMX will use much of the artwork of H6.

It seems likely that this is a quick and dirty attempt at a revival of a series which hadn't had an update for more than 10 years. I really hope it will be good, because that would mean that we will see a MMXI.

Maybe it's too soon for making assumptions, but it does seem logical from the developer's perspective. I have hopes, because Limbic has proven to be really decent with their work.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 22 Mar 2013, 18:57

@hellegennes

You were talking about references to previous games in MM9. No matter if you like it or not, they are, so saying about "zero references" is just wrong. MM9 takes place in new planet, has new plot and as far as I know it was planned as begining of new MM trilogy, but still has few nods to previous games, Ancients-Kreegan war or even the Reckoning from HoMM4 intro. They are just hidden deep in-game (some NPC texts, item descriptions, notes in dungeons, etc.), so they are hard to catch, but they are.

One thing I've noticed nobody talked about yet, is Limbic's involvement with the project. The company's logo can clearly be seen near the end of the clip.
Limbic is behind MMX, so no wonder.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Mar 2013, 01:39

Yes, the info is also up on Limbic's homepage, so there'no doubt. I for one welcome the zany Germans - they work hard and did well on the patches. It also means that MMX will not be a huge game.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 23 Mar 2013, 03:45

I've decided I'm not too thrilled about the style of play going backwards. If I wanted to play a game like Darkside I would just play Darkside. I dont mind that they are making a game like this but I would prefer it if they didnt call it MMX. I would have thought for it to be considered a sequel that you'd have to improve on the previous, not go back 20 years in gameplay.

As for Limbic making it, according to their website they make games for mobiles, I'm not expecting this game to be big in any way. If it's been designed to be able to be played on mobiles and tablets as well then that will be hateful.

I suppose I should wait for more info before getting all worried though.

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 23 Mar 2013, 09:44

After these past several years fearing for there to not be a continuation to the MM series, I feel astonished and excited that it's finally happened. And then I read the comments:

hellegennes: "It seems likely that this is a quick and dirty attempt at a revival of a series which hadn't had an update for more than 10 years"

Ryder: "As for Limbic making it, according to their website they make games for mobiles, I'm not expecting this game to be big in any way. If it's been designed to be able to be played on mobiles and tablets as well then that will be hateful. "

Now I'm sad, because I think the two of you are right. I shouldn't be sad. MM X should be a joyous thing. But going tile based just screams mobile to me - there's absolutely no other reason for a regression to MM 1-5 gameplay that I can think of. The free roaming aspect of 6-9 (even though 9 sucked) was so much better. Tile based has its place in restrictive dungeon delvers like the enjoyable Legend of Grimrock, but we've evolved beyond that for open world games. Maybe this'll just be a prelude to bigger and better MM games, or maybe this game won't be Legend of Grimrock-esque, but... I do not want to get my hopes up.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 23 Mar 2013, 10:18

I think that even MM9 could have been much better with a few patches. Once I got used to the engine, it was ok. But I hated waiting around for a boat for 4 bloody days and there was just not enough "stuff" to be found, monsters to kill and stuff to do. Zero replayability.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 23 Mar 2013, 13:50

MM9 was the only game in the entire series which I only played through once. I didn't even play MM1-5 before MM6 and I have already finished all of them at least twice. Even if MM9 wasn't unfinished, I don't think I would have ever played it again. It just wasn't MM9. Let's wait and see what MM10 has to offer.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Might and Magic X Trailer!

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 30 Mar 2013, 20:51

michiganjf wrote:I sure hope it's better than IX, which really sucked... IX held little of the flavor of the entire rest of the HOMM series... a real disappointment.

Heroes fans want Heroes games, not re-hashed, tired, Ultima style games.

From the trailer, it does indeed look like they may return to the traditional Heroes format!

WooHoo!
I actually think MM IX has lots of potential. It's one of the few PC games that conveys are decent Viking Age atmosphere despite being a bit empty.

Return to “News”