Might and Magic X Trailer!

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Mar 2013, 17:37

Here is the official announcement of the game that Ubisoft has been teasing during the past couple of days:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="/http://www.youtube.com/embed/C5p8zZVprS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our prayers have been answered it seems. We will hopefully get more information from the PAX Expo during the week-end. <b>Stay tuned</b>!

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1363887441
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 21 Mar 2013, 18:40

Hmmmm......

michiganjf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby michiganjf » 21 Mar 2013, 18:58

I sure hope it's better than IX, which really sucked... IX held little of the flavor of the entire rest of the HOMM series... a real disappointment.

Heroes fans want Heroes games, not re-hashed, tired, Ultima style games.

From the trailer, it does indeed look like they may return to the traditional Heroes format!

WooHoo!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Mar 2013, 19:15

Oh no... This is not going to end well in the slightest. The trailer is nice with all the references, but that's probably all we will see of that.
It looks like the art style is just slightly better, but still is WoWish. If everyone were humans, it would be good, but now... And I bet it's on Ashan, which makes it non-canon in my books.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Mar 2013, 19:19

Did you really expect them to flush Ashan and create a direct sequel to a 12 year old game nobody cared about?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 21 Mar 2013, 19:30

Party based? Turn based? Might and Magic? This is the best gaming day of my life! Can't wait to hear more news, for some reason I really hope this will be great (maybe because the indie-scene showed at big publishers that traditional cRPGs still have crowds of funs? We will see...)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Mar 2013, 20:25

Angelspit wrote:> Did you really expect them to flush Ashan and create a direct sequel to a 12 year old game nobody cared about?
A 13 year old game that people did care about, rather. But Ubisoft? No, of course not, I didn't think they would be reasonable enough to do that.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 21 Mar 2013, 21:01

GreatEmerald wrote:A 13 year old game that people did care about, rather. But Ubisoft? No, of course not, I didn't think they would be reasonable enough to do that.
Not to mention that flushing their precious Ashan wasn't even at all necessarily to make a game set in the original universe. But yeah, ain't their style to be that reasonable regarding MM.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 21 Mar 2013, 21:25

The graphics looked kinda retro-cartoonish... colour me intrigued. It can never match the goodies of yore, obviously, but expecting it to, now, as an old fan, is, well, foolish. I have long since abandonded any illusions, but we can hope for a decent game in it's own right. I mean, I still play Fallout 3, even though I hate it on principle.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 21 Mar 2013, 21:27

I would have loved MMX to take place in the old universe, but it's been 11 years since MMIX. Only the hardcore fanbase still has memory of it and we're not the core target group. We're... what? A few thousand people?

Nevertheless, I am really excited about it. I have been waiting for a M&M RPG more than a decade. I really really hope it will turn out to be a hit. Otherwise, it could be the end of the series.

As a sidenote, if it was to take place in the old universe, but that place was on Axeoth, I couldn't care less. Axeoth was far more generic than Ashan and it was quite boring.
Edited on Thu, Mar 21 2013, 18:42 by hellegennes

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Might and Magic X Trailer!

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Mar 2013, 22:44

hellegennes wrote:>As a sidenote, if it was to take place in the old universe, but that place was on Axeoth, I couldn't care less. Axeoth was far more generic than Ashan and it was quite boring.
I'm pretty sure that planets inherently cannot be "boring" or "exciting". Unless it's all plain grasslands all over the globe or so, but it's not so with Axeoth. It's the games that can be boring or exciting.

Lomedae
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lomedae » 21 Mar 2013, 22:46

Their track record in handling the franchise is pretty dismal. I really hope they don't destroy what's left of Might and Magic. That said, they do seem to push the right retro buttons so far. Wait and see I guess.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 22 Mar 2013, 00:53

@ Angelspit: I'm a bit shocked by this statement. Were you referring to Might and Magic IX or to the M&M series as a whole? While I can understand why a lot of fans were turned down by M&M IX (even though personally, I learned to like it), I assume all long-timers who still come here *do* care about the original universe. This includes the world of Axeoth -- which of course wasn't given the time and money to be fleshed out like Enroth. It still offered plenty of enjoyment.

As one of the key people who founded this website and maintained it for many years (if I'm informed correctly) -- don't you care at all about Axeoth and its ties to the other original M&M worlds?

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Mar 2013, 01:10

Ryder wrote:Hmmmm......
I think this sums it up best.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Blake » 22 Mar 2013, 03:51

Very excited! We've been hearing for 10 years that classic style M&M wouldn't suit modern gamers, but in 2012 kickstarter showed the publishers that people were embracing retro again and clearly ubisoft was listening. I love how they've kept the turn based combat in a modern engine, it worked in Fallout 3 so I'm sure it will work here too.

Of course its gonna be in Ashan lol.. Axeoth did to Enroth what Ashan did to Axeoth, unwanted replacement! NWC killed our adventures in Enroth long before ubisoft showed up so I don’t know why people would be hating on ubi for not setting it in the old worlds! In fact I cared so little for Axeoth that M&M9 is the only M&M game I’ve never completed. Guess I’ll have to now haha!

My only real concerns is online activation. Anyone been hearing about the recent Sim City disaster? Sounds a lot like Diablo 3’s launch and makes Heroes 6 online troubles sound like paradise lol. You’d think after 4 or so years of single player games with online activation causing huge problems that companies *cough* ubisoft *cough* would either ditch it or F*ING GET IT RIGHT, yet every new game has massive problems. Ridiculous!!
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 22 Mar 2013, 05:37

Axeoth may have been a bit shallow and underdeveloped -- but in my opinion it was still the better attempt at a generic world. Let's face it: Might and Magic was always about rather generic fantasy settings -- which was totally fine and probably even one of the reasons the series was such a success in the past. People love familiar elements. People want their fantasy stereotypes: dwarves, elves, dragons, wizards... you get my point.

The crux is, however, that even though a world is based on well-known and established elements, it still needs to combine them in an appealing way. It's all in the mix. And the mix just isn't right with Ashan. While it features many generic fantasy staples, it contains too many quirky design decisions -- like true dragons basically only existing as gods, obtrusive faction symbolism, and some unfortunate naming choices (the world's name "Ashan" itself being a prominent example).

In my opinion, Axeoth did a better job at handling and presenting the fantasy material by being a more straightforward approach.

Enroth, of course was much better than both Axeoth and Ashan. It had all the classical fantasy stuff and many strong, iconic characters while at the same time it worked well as the backdrop of deep storytelling (found in several Heroes III campaigns). And I agree that it was a pity -- and a bad decision -- the world got destroyed.

To completely ditch an entire universe, however, is a different matter. Axeoth was still linked to Enroth and the other M&M worlds in some ways and even allowed the reappearance of some well-known characters like Sandro, Gem, and Solmyr.

So all in all I think that the switch from Axeoth to Ashan was even worse than the one from Enroth to Axeoth. The apocalypse of Enroth took away well-loved characters and places -- the reboot of the entire universe basically annihilated the series' complete background. It makes me wonder if it's not quite a bit ironic the tenth installment of the M&M RPGs is going to be called "Legacy"...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Mar 2013, 06:16

JSE wrote:>To completely ditch an entire universe, however, is a different matter. Axeoth was still linked to Enroth and the other M&M worlds in some ways and even allowed the reappearance of some well-known characters like Sandro, Gem, and Solmyr.

>So all in all I think that the switch from Axeoth to Ashan was even worse than the one from Enroth to Axeoth. The apocalypse of Enroth took away well-loved characters and places -- the reboot of the entire universe basically annihilated the series' complete background.
Exactly. Destroying Enroth was not very nice, but they did it for faster dynamics, for restoring the status quo. The new nations that spawned on Axeoth obviously had a direct lineage with the ones on Enroth, but they were governed differently, were in a different geographical location and political situation. I don't think there are many people who are that disappointed with the story of HoMM4.

Ashan is all different, though. They just erased the past. All they have are just references to earlier games, but they can't do anything with the actual storyline of them, as they just erased it. As a result, Ashan has nothing in common with the rest of the MM universe. And hence I am completely uninterested about what happens there. Unless they somehow manage to bring back the old universe, but everyone knows Ubisoft would never do that.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Mar 2013, 06:54

I really don't care about story line; or even story for that matter. Just have a decent story of some type and the ability to choose from 1 to 4 players (for re-playability); and make sure it runs reeeally well on my 3-4 year old PC.
The one thing about MM6-8 was that each game got faster; not slower.

...and if they could make Wizardry 9 while they're at it, that would be heavenly! :proud:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Mar 2013, 07:02

And I mainly care about the storyline. The second thing I care about is art direction. So far, neither of these seem to be that good.

Return to “News”