Duel of Champions: Do You Play?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Oct 2012, 13:33

<b><center>Do you play?</center></b>

<a href="/http://www.duelofchampions.com/">Might and Magic: Duel of Champions</a> is an online card game based on the Might and Magic universe; you choose a hero and use units and spells to defeat your opponent in a one-on-one duel. Hence the name.

This is emblematic of Ubisoft's policy regarding the Might and Magic franchise; they have said from the start that they wish to expand and create new games - for consoles, handheld and otherwise - and not stay purely with the core that is the <i>Might & Magic</i> and <i>Heroes</i> series. Since Ubi have the financial muscle to pull this off, we have seen several new games appear. Some have been <a href="/http://mightandmagic.uk.ubi.com/clashof ... cessful</a>, others have not.

Celestial Heavens <i>is</i> a bit of a "core" site - focusing on the big stuff - but every once in a while something <a href="/http://legend.kingsbountygame.com/index ... resting</a> pops up. So what do you say? Is the card game such a thing or is it just something to be played by n00bs? Do <i>you</i> play?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1350826422
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 21 Oct 2012, 20:16

Spinn offs were usualy superior quality. (Kingdoms, Clash of Heroes), but this one is... I will refrain myself.

The strange thing is that in theory it almost sounds good, but in practice it's just a dull experience.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 22 Oct 2012, 15:38

Is this finally out of the beta? Every time I hear about this game, it's still in the testing phase.

If this is finally done, then I might check it out.

Loco Blutaxt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Loco Blutaxt » 22 Oct 2012, 16:02

Yes - it's out.

I spend some money in it for some extra cards and now I'm fine with it. For me it's a nice "in-betweener". I don't think it has this long-time flavour but - hey - it's for free! And H6 is missing this long-time-flavour, too! ;-)
If you're a German speaking fanboy of the Heroes series also visit Drachenwald

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 22 Oct 2012, 20:58

It says something like "This service is not available in your country." Why? :(

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 22 Oct 2012, 21:46

I just tried to download it and got that same message.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Oct 2012, 15:26

Same here. North America has been left out again it seems.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 29 Oct 2012, 13:51

Well, at least now you know how it is for companies and organisations to forget there are other countries in the world. Not that it was your fault or anything.
Edited on Mon, Oct 29 2012, 09:52 by hellegennes

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 Nov 2012, 22:14

First post here in a while :).

I was interested to see if there was anything about this on the site, because I've just started playing it. TCGs have been probably my main game genre in the past 5 years or so and I actually really like this one. Yes, there's parts of it that I don't much like (the resource system is a bit simplistic for eg.) but it seems like a solid TCG and really captures the spirit of those HOMM tactical battles in a good way. If I get into the game a bit more then I might have to contact Anglespit again about rejoining the editorial team if he'd be interested :P

@King Imp. It's labelled as a beta but it's basically a finished game. It's like many freemium products, it's launched early before it's 100% fully finished so that they can start getting the cash flow, but it's essentially a complete and functioning game but just lacking the multi-platform support (an iPad version is in the works) and a few kinks, balance and bugs to iron out. There will be no account reset when the full game launches, you keep everything that you've bought/acquired. They're actually already talking about an expansion pack too, creative development has already moved on past the original set.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Nov 2012, 00:11

PB! Hey! :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 29 Nov 2012, 05:05

It's still not available in the west. :(

PureFun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PureFun » 06 Mar 2013, 18:52

I have heard that it has something to do with Wizards of the Coast patent used in Magic the Gathering. I don't know what grounds they would be using, however.

mordredrs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mordredrs » 24 Apr 2013, 16:29

Hi there o/

What's your profile names on DoC? You guys can add me there for some chating or playing: mordredrs

Psychobabble, are you the same guy from LOTRO?
"Beware of spellcasters with bats as familiars. It means they have regular need to be abroad at night."

havoc_85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby havoc_85 » 16 May 2013, 15:34

I tried that game for a few hours... Even Finished the campaign tutorial without failing too much.
This was the first card game I ever played.

Sadly, I failed miserably at the second mission of the first actual campaign (Orc Invasion) and I just stopped playing.
Didn't even knew where I went wrong or what I should have done to win that battle :(

Its a really nice game though. Well made, very nicely animated and from what I saw on YouTube there is so much to collect and tons of progression.

I don't think this game is for starters in the genera though. The tutorial was not enough for me and I just got stuck.
Tried looking for some instructional VODs but I couldn't find any that helped.

Do you guys know any good YouTube channels for this game that can help new players (which are also bad that this game type)?

My U-play account name is Havoc_8501985.
Add me if you would like to win a little :D

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 May 2013, 20:04

Definitely not playing it. But I do play MArcomage. And this is kind of making me want to play another match with one of my favourite decks in the game :D

Return to “News”