Alternative Copy Protection Coming

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Apr 2006, 16:10

Of course, I trust the word of Fabrice and the community managers, but it's nice to see the Starforce story picked up by big sites, namely <a href="/http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149611">1UP</a> and <a href="/http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147655.html">GameSpot</a>. Ubisoft's explanation was short and sweet: "Ubisoft has decided to use an alternative copy protection system to Starforce for upcoming releases," said a representative for the company. "Ubisoft takes its customer concerns very seriously and is investigating the complaints about alleged problems with Starforce's software. Ubisoft's goal is to find solutions for its customers if there are problems with Ubisoft products."

Stardock, the developer of <i>Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords</i>, deservers our gratitude. By dealing with the torrent link incident using tact and diplomacy, as well as promoting their own way to make sure players buy their game, they showed the industry that brute force is not always the best way to resolve problems (I wish the world leaders would understand that too, but that's another debate). The fans who sticked to their beliefs and refused to play Heroes V if it contained the malicious copy-protection drivers also played a major role in the battle against Starforce.

While I'm in praising mode, Kudos to <a href="/http://www.gamershell.com/download_1327 ... ell.com</a>. They were probably the fastest download location for the demo. <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com">FilePlanet</a> worked very well for me despite the 40 minute waiting line. If you haven't download the demo yet, I added a few links in the article below.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1145031044
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Apr 2006, 16:13

Breaking news: According to Tiscali Games, Heroes V will use the SecuROM copy protection.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

O_RenyRen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby O_RenyRen » 14 Apr 2006, 16:59

So does this mean that the subpoena against Ubi for using SF will be dropped?

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 14 Apr 2006, 17:01

what's the problem in the first place with starforce? People are angry about it, but eh... why?
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

Cooba
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cooba » 14 Apr 2006, 17:21

This is awesome news. What more to say?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Apr 2006, 17:23

Funny, when I d/l the game from Gamershell it wouldn't unzip.

Oh, and din't Fabrice pretty much say that they were cases when SF stoped people from playing Splinter Cell?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Apr 2006, 17:33

How does this SecuROM works? Like some sort of cd key protection?

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 14 Apr 2006, 18:44

AFAIK, SecuROM works like regular types of copy-protection. It basically prevents you from playing the game without an original CD in the drive. There will almost definitely be a no-cd crack released later on, though.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 14 Apr 2006, 19:05

It will be cracked a few hours after its gone gold just like the last millenia.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Apr 2006, 19:44

AM I the only one who finds it somewhat ironic that instead of the dreaded StarForce, we now get protection made by Sony :|
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

HealingAura
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HealingAura » 14 Apr 2006, 22:56

Anybody knows exactly what's this new copy pretection SecuROM? If it's a normal copy protection (must insert CD key, can't copy CD, must have CD in driver to play) or is it also starforce like?
Death is not the answer to everything, torture also has its merits!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Alternative Copy Protection Coming

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Apr 2006, 23:52

Gaidal Cain wrote:AM I the only one who finds it somewhat ironic that instead of the dreaded StarForce, we now get protection made by Sony :|
Yes, I also found it ironic that Sony (the creator of the now infamous RootKit copy-protection aslo makes SecuROM. I looked it up in Google & Wikipedia but couldn't get much from all that techno talk. I need a geek to help with the translation. :-D
HealingAura wrote:Anybody knows exactly what's this new copy pretection SecuROM? If it's a normal copy protection (must insert CD key, can't copy CD, must have CD in driver to play) or is it also starforce like?
I'm thinking that after Sony got a lawsuit slapped on them for their RootKit copy-protection, they aren't going to go that route again. But I'd sure like to know more about SecuROM. For now, I'm gonna assume it's safe.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Alternative Copy Protection Coming

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Apr 2006, 00:54

Continuity wrote:AFAIK, SecuROM works like regular types of copy-protection. It basically prevents you from playing the game without an original CD in the drive. There will almost definitely be a no-cd crack released later on, though.
Nope, most likely cloned or something like it. But then again that would happen even with SF.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 15 Apr 2006, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 15 Apr 2006, 01:01

Oh no.

What's the point in dropping Starforce if they still use copy protection? I was against copy protection at all, not Starforce specifically.

I'm destroyed.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Apr 2006, 01:15

Well at least it won't be installed on your computer. And now HodgePodge can buy it. ;)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 15 Apr 2006, 01:53

ThunderTitan wrote:Well at least it won't be installed on your computer. And now HodgePodge can buy it. ;)
As long as it doesn't harm my computer or my installed applications & files, I'm okay with it.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Starheaven
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Starheaven » 15 Apr 2006, 02:02

When I bought a legitimate retail game neverwinter nights it used securom. The game caused nothing but problems trying to recognise it was a legit disk in the drive. Sent it back and got a refund. Bioware forum was full of securom complaints, took a long time to sought the securom problem I hope that Ubisoft ensure this does not happen to heroes might and magic 5.
Edited on Fri, Apr 14 2006, 20:04 by Starheaven

madcat_lives
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby madcat_lives » 15 Apr 2006, 02:38

I still get trouble with SC saying you need full game to play when I 1st put it on.
Let them think they are winning, when they find out they are losing, its too late.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Apr 2006, 08:54

Here we go again *sigh* =p

reynaert
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby reynaert » 15 Apr 2006, 09:26

No-cd cracks exist solely to overcome the copyright protection that has been implemented to bar people from playing. Whatever protection they'll use, pirates will find a way around it. for all I care, use starforce.
I have probably offended you in this post. if you take it too harshly, it's your own responsability. I, for my part, never intended to.

Return to “News”