Uplay Or Not To Play

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Jul 2012, 20:03

The <a href="/http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/66 ... ">official forum</a> went mad with activity from irate users yesterday, as Uplay servers went down, affecting all games using this login - including but not limited to <i>Heroes VI</i>.

<a href="/http://kotaku.com/5926143/ubisofts-upla ... >Kotaku</a> also reported on this issue.

I personally think this is yet another sign that making games too dependent upon online connections and company servers is a strategy doomed to fail. It is a sign that the game companies cannot keep their end of the "bargain"; keeping their online resources active constantly so that players can ... well, <i>play</i>. I.e: get the product they have paid for.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1342469001
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Rife
Peasant
Peasant

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Rife » 16 Jul 2012, 23:07

I wish I could even be affected by this issue. For some reason, Heroes will only ever play 1 out of 10 times I launch it now. When it does launch, it crashes to desktop whenever I load a game! I really want to like this game but when I can't play the damn thing it makes it damn near impossible!
------
http://rifeprime.labrute.fr <-Wierd but fun french fighting game

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Jul 2012, 00:13

Which version?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jul 2012, 00:34

Hopefully they get H-6 fixed and get a usable editor; I would then consider buying it. However I think now I will wait until they have a complete version with online content included on the disk and not need UBI servers for anything but registering.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

mns3dhm
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby mns3dhm » 17 Jul 2012, 02:47

The best comment at the official site was UPlay should be renamed UDon'tPlay.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Jul 2012, 10:08

Yeah, I tried doing a wordplay myself, as you can see in the headline. ;)

Chrambo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Chrambo » 17 Jul 2012, 10:28

@ jeff: I think the editor is the most important part of the game, so I would ask what you mean by usable? What does the community want in this regard? I don't find it to be simple or intuitive, but I definitely find it to be usable. And I worry that if Limbic goes around messing with it they'll break it beyond any use.

Edit: sorry for the off-topic post.
Edited on Tue, Jul 17 2012, 06:28 by Chrambo

jeff

Re: Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jul 2012, 16:21

Chrambo wrote:@ jeff: I think the editor is the most important part of the game, so I would ask what you mean by usable? What does the community want in this regard? I don't find it to be simple or intuitive, but I definitely find it to be usable. And I worry that if Limbic goes around messing with it they'll break it beyond any use.
It is not usable by many or us, and UBI acknowledges the need to fix it. I will not hijack this thread with a discussion of what's needed. Check out Znork's threadehttp://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... sc&start=0 for a discussion on the editor.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 17 Jul 2012, 16:55

Any news of when it'll be back up again? Trying to update to 1.5.1 and the servers are still offline.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Jul 2012, 21:21

I am told that hitting the login button over and over should work eventually. Try that.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Infiltrator » 17 Jul 2012, 22:28

Ubisoft, making pirates sound like a smart man's choice.
Infiltrator out.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 18 Jul 2012, 02:58

I have no problem with server maintenance, but I like (a) for there to be an announcement (b) a notification on the UPlay console that the servers are currently down and (c) the server maintenance hopefully not last a whole day. I literally had no idea that the server was down, and I reset my password because I thought something was wrong with it, when really no one could login.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Torur » 18 Jul 2012, 08:09

@Kalah

Really, oh, I just think I might spend the rest of the day hitting the login button. (as if)

Not to say I was really looking forward to playing yesterday, stupid DRM and the worst set of servers on the intertubes I've ever witnessed. Ubi FIX IT!
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Jul 2012, 10:47

I see your point - I just wanted to point you to a solution in case you were desperate to play.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Torur » 18 Jul 2012, 11:14

Where you serious about that solution? I thought you where only kidding.

Nevertheless, Im at work now, so wont do me any good.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Jul 2012, 11:19

I was serious, yes. We are, of course, in complete agreement that the problem shouldn't occur in the first place, but there are some reports that it can indeed be "solved" by "spamming the login button".

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby Torur » 18 Jul 2012, 11:41

Lol, I wonder how many hours people have spent "spamming" their login buttons.

Anyways, service still down according to the official forum. Gotta say, limbic looks like The Flash compared to Ubi when trying to fix stuff.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

MoNoXiDeBlue
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby MoNoXiDeBlue » 19 Jul 2012, 06:00

hey everyone head on over to the site, they just officially renamed it Yplay?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 19 Jul 2012, 15:04

:lolu:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Re: Uplay Or Not To Play

Unread postby parcaleste » 19 Jul 2012, 19:13

MoNoXiDeBlue wrote:hey everyone head on over to the site, they just officially renamed it Yplay?
:rofl:

Return to “News”