The M&MX Fan Survey

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Re: The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby Tress » 31 Oct 2011, 15:08

MMXAlamar wrote:This is an official MM10 and follows the conventions of the old Universe. The story is based on the planned and unused information from NWC developers who worked on MM9 and HOMM4.

Ubisoft has had the opportunity for over 5 years to announce an MM10, yet they have made multiple new games of their own creations instead.
Not to be mean or anything, but no matter how much any fan fiction follows supposedly cannon, or presumably realizes dropped plot lines, it cant ever be call "official" Sure there is good fanfiction here and there(sometimes even surpassing original though rarely), but it's never official nor canon.

As for name. Personally I would think more of project if it wouldn't carry such name. First that's, ubi job to make mm10 or whatever they will call it. Second it's misleading. Third it's unfair to number of other fan made projects.

Why UBI seemingly don't care? Well my guess they arent jerks on genetic level like EA that tried to kill doom3 based system shock themed mod, just because it was set in same universe. Secondly I think that ubi is not taking such projects seriously. Once it(or MMT) will show signs of life that would suggest that it will become something more than page in wiki, or few screenshots on net, they will suddenly remember about you.

P.S. Did survey, hope that will help make this project better.

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby astral76minor » 31 Oct 2011, 21:23

@hellegennes

The game can easily be played with JUST A CONTOL PAD.

A Playstation like control pad has directional buttons that can serve for the purpose of the mouse. The control pad directional buttons can allow for simple GUI pull-down menus, therefore eliminating any need for a keyboard and a mouse!!!!

It is the programmers decision to do this. If they listen, many dollars could be made just by improving the game play ergonomics.

Many people would love to sit back on the couch and play the game through a flat screen TV in the living room with a control pad. I am simply saying that the game can be re-programmed to support a control pad and pull down menus like old school games (Dragon Warrior, Ultima, and Phantasy Star).

When it comes to an RPG, the gaming experience is more enjoyable with a control pad. M&M is turn-based during battles with a simple button. It is real time until you hit the turn button to slow the game down, enabling people to make key decisions at their own pace (perhaps the games saving grace). And, it can be done with some programming.

The people whom are programming this lovely game can take advantage of the control pad to increase sales or popularity since both a console and a PC will & can be utilized.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby hellegennes » 01 Nov 2011, 00:07

Astral76minor, you should realise that this isn't a JRPG! So pull-down menus and the rest will not work. Using a keyboard for such a game is much more convenient and practical. There are a lot of buttons and functions because THEY ARE NEEDED. Please, realise that! From MM6 onwards, I rarely used the turn-based system because real-time battles make the game a million times better. There are more strategic options to use, you can evade, dodge, hit and run, etc.

Also, pull-down menus and the rest make the interface more complicated for no reason. Since you cannot have 20 buttons on a pad, for resting, quick reference, yell, jump, automap, etc., the only other way is to make them accessible through silly menus, hence making the process longer than just pressing a button. Why is that more convenient I'll never know.

Not to mention, of course, object swapping between party members. I can't imagine a more easy way than using the assigned 4-5 buttons (you can still use the mouse, but it's way more tedious and slow).

Finally, this is a fan-made game, so stop talking about money.

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby astral76minor » 01 Nov 2011, 00:50

@hellegennes

It is possible to play the game with a control pad, since there is a key which allows turn-based playing. And the control pads allow for up to 16 buttons, which should be more than enough versus a keyboard especially with the d-pad and GUI menus. Not everyone plays in real time (and this is why I enjoy the original Might and Magic RPG).

It would take a bit more programming to support the control pad, BUT I DO KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, my nemesis. This should make you more than proud for the games heritage into the New Age.

Even if it goes back to the keyboard and the mouse, by the world's nature it will eventually move to the control pad over time. This is simple progression. I am saying that it can be done NOW!
Edited on Mon, Oct 31 2011, 20:53 by astral76minor

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Nov 2011, 16:21

I am a bit surprised at the continued appeals to change the name. As far as copyright goes, when I was working on the project the attitude was, and quite rightly, "who cares". It was a bit of fun and a labour of love, but also fundamentally a Might and Magic project making use of the Might and Magic name and IP. There would be no inelegant, weaselly tactics like removing Might and Magic from the title or changing the names of everything in the Might and Magic IP just to keep the project legal. If Ubisoft issued a cease and desist letter - which they haven't thus far - I would've respected that and stopped working on it just as with Chrono Resurrection, Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes or King's Quest: The Silver Lining. It would be their foot being shot, after all.

My attitude was also that this is not an official entry in the series and never to be considered canonical, no matter how accurate and wonderful we might have gotten the storyline, unless either Jon Van Caneghem or Ubisoft took it and said it is a valid continuation. Much like William Shatner's Star Wars books may be highly-regarded and quasi-official simply because of William Shatner's involvement, but even so are not to be considered part of the Star Wars universe. Or much like David Gaider's Ascension has never been part of Baldur's Gate canon, in spite of David Gaider.

@Hellegenes: Ubisoft holds the rights to "Might and Magic" and the ampersanded "Might & Magic". The ampersand in seen in the titles of all their present games.
astral76minor wrote:bring in more customers
astral76minor wrote:many dollars could be made
astral76minor wrote:take advantage of the control pad to increase sales
Fanmade, non-profit project :rolleyes:
astral76minor wrote:It would increase the total popularity for Might and Magic X and make the game ergonomically comfortable for everyone!
...aside from those who don't own or can't afford said control pads.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Re: The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby Tress » 01 Nov 2011, 17:29

astral76minor wrote:@hellegennes

It is possible to play the game with a control pad, since there is a key which allows turn-based playing. And the control pads allow for up to 16 buttons, which should be more than enough versus a keyboard especially with the d-pad and GUI menus. Not everyone plays in real time (and this is why I enjoy the original Might and Magic RPG).

It would take a bit more programming to support the control pad, BUT I DO KNOW IT CAN BE DONE, my nemesis. This should make you more than proud for the games heritage into the New Age.

Even if it goes back to the keyboard and the mouse, by the world's nature it will eventually move to the control pad over time. This is simple progression. I am saying that it can be done NOW!
Edited on Mon, Oct 31 2011, 20:53 by astral76minor

Just because it;s possible doesn't make it better. I once used 2 dollar gamepad(without thumbsticks even), and bound most basicabilities of rogue in world of warcraft just for laughs(and to make a little point how trivial they were to play at that point). Sure I could play it, but it certainly didn't made game better.
As for MM with gamepad.... well any game that requires use of pointer, instantly decreases in fun for me moment I cant freely use it. For example sorting inventory with game-pad is just atrocious. Sure there are lots of games with inventory that are made to be interacted with gamepad's cross but they are 100x worse and makes me hate developers if they leave it for pc version of game(deusex 2 for example) unchanged.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby theGryphon » 01 Nov 2011, 17:36

Corlagon, I don't understand why you're getting offended by the name change suggestions. I, and I believe everybody here, said what we said for the good of the project, just in case Ubisoft shows you the face of a "for-profit corporate", which it is. No reason to go defensive, as there is no offense intended, and you asked for input. I'm 100% behind this project. As the Japanese say: Ganbatte! ;)
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Nov 2011, 17:44

Um, but I'm not offended, just a bit surprised as I said. I'm not even one of the people working on the project any more so it really is nothing personal.

Eon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby Eon » 01 Nov 2011, 19:54

I don't care what the game is called as long as they hold true to the M&M conventions. I did the survey too.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 01 Nov 2011, 23:21

Thinking about it, there was a question on Light/Neutral/Dark. Is this referring to MM3 faction, where Neutral is closer to a Chaos faction, or conventional netural, being neither light nor good, which would seem closer to unassociated tribes or mecenaries (nomads, ogres, wasps)?

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 Nov 2011, 02:37

M&MX is official as a 10th Might and Magic can possibly get.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby theGryphon » 02 Nov 2011, 02:45

@MMXAlamar: I don't think we understand the same thing from the word "official", and I must say, I'm pretty sure I get it right. Why don't you say "M&MX is as good as a 10th Might and Magic can possibly get."? Then, we can all be happy. You're inexplicably insisting on your "official". If that's gonna make you happy, OK. It's officially "official".
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby astral76minor » 03 Nov 2011, 00:18

I played many turn-based RPGs growing up since 1982-2011. I've used the keyboard on RPG's for over 20 years. When the Nintendo came out (and the other consoles afterward), I got used to using a control pad (it was convenient) and if you're like me, you do not want to hit the wrong key on the keyboard in a huge battle. If the GUI is made on M&M X the right way, it can be like that classic RPG experience, except there is no worrying about a huge keyboard in the way. The keyboard is old and it is just a pile of buttons that you have to give exclusive attention to, since the programmers didn't spend the time on GUI's for a control pad, or even a mouse (only).

A 16 button control pad for the PC (like a Playstation one) costs less than $20 USD. Mine has never broke and I've had it for 5 years (it even lasts longer than a mouse)!!!!

Alot of us are old school gamers, above the age of 40. Isn't it about time we used that damn keyboard less and less? Why not make the game more ergonomic and fun? I know the control pad will not be supported. So if you all want to pay attention to a huge keyboard, BE MY GUEST.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 03 Nov 2011, 12:10

Honestly, I don't give a damn about what Ubi might think, BUT if they start to insist that we change the project's name, then I think we woud have to change it. As of yet, there haven't been any such demands from Ubisoft, so let's leave the name alone.

And if I were Ubisoft, I would give this project their Seal of Approval. It deserves such recognition no less (and maybe more) than Legends of the Ancients.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 03 Nov 2011, 12:20

In all the years that the MMX project exists, Ubisoft had every chance to confront the team about legal issues. They hadn't done that to this day. Maybe this isn't a big deal to them :)

Btw, there was also the case of fan-made addon to HoMM3 called REKVIZIT, which is a profit project, i.e. its developers sell this mod for money. Without ever getting Ubisoft's permission. Of course, this is quite an oversight on Ubi's part, but I guess if they haven't demanded of this project to become non-profit or be closed, they could tolerate us using the name "Might and Magic X: Children of the Void".[/i]
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Nov 2011, 17:08

XEL II wrote:Honestly, I don't give a damn about what Ubi might think, BUT if they start to insist that we change the project's name, then I think we woud have to change it. As of yet, there haven't been any such demands from Ubisoft, so let's leave the name alone.

And if I were Ubisoft, I would give this project their Seal of Approval. It deserves such recognition no less (and maybe more) than Legends of the Ancients.

Well once it's out they possibly will. Considering they did it for LOA, proves they aren't ignoring modding community. MMX on other hand, for as far someone in high chair cares might be another project that will never see light of day.After all there is just handful of screenshots Also there is gap between mod and freeware game, so recognition from ubi is different thing in this matter.

As for REKVIZIT. It's small time and its in Russia, and last part alone makes it dead cause to even think about doing something. If you remebr few years ago you could easly find LOTR modded conversion of homm4 selling on nearby tunnel for couple euro,rubles or whatever.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby Marzhin » 03 Nov 2011, 22:57

Well as long as you guys are not trying to sell it I don't think Ubi will send you a cease & desist letter. The M&M team at Ubi is always happy to see fan projects and creations.

Not that I'm an official representative of Ubi or anything (I work for them only as freelance). But I know I'm not the only one in the M&M team keeping an eye on your progress ;)
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

The M&MX Fan Survey

Unread postby legendoferthia » 04 Nov 2011, 21:25

""""""The M&M team at Ubi is always happy to see fan projects and creations.

Not that I'm an official representative of Ubi or anything (I work for them only as freelance). But I know I'm not the only one in the M&M team keeping an eye on your progress ;)"""""

As mentioned earlier, Ubisoft isn't Square-Enix. :) I will buy Ubisoft products just for hearing these kind words! It really does place a good opinion on Ubisoft for allowing these fan projects to continue.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 05 Nov 2011, 11:23

tress wrote: As for REKVIZIT. It's small time and its in Russia, and last part alone makes it dead cause to even think about doing something. If you remebr few years ago you could easly find LOTR modded conversion of homm4 selling on nearby tunnel for couple euro,rubles or whatever.
The fact that LOTR modded conversion was selling in tunnels doesn't make it legitimate, eh? Same with REKVIZIT, beta (!) of which is being sold for ~5 dollars, which alone is against Ubisoft's copyright. Not to mention the fact that, while being a commercial mod, REKVIZIT also uses graphic material from WarCraft III, as well as several other games.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Nov 2011, 09:26

he fact that LOTR modded conversion was selling in tunnels doesn't make it legitimate, eh? Same with REKVIZIT, beta (!) of which is being sold for ~5 dollars, which alone is against Ubisoft's copyright. Not to mention the fact that, while being a commercial mod, REKVIZIT also uses graphic material from WarCraft III, as well as several other games.
Course it does make it illegitimate, but as Russia resident you should know that in former USSR(specially in Russia, perhaps bit less in EU countries, but even there still ) no one will give damn, and Ubisoft knows it as well that it;s dead cause to even think do something about this. Still if that Remedy guy would manage to sell millions of copies, I think he would get someone knocking on his door. Still there are titles that are sold (from official publishers), in Russia that certainly should get legal interest from publishers , but still no one care.

Return to “News”