GameSpy Reviews Heroes VI

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
ttague2005
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ttague2005 » 02 Nov 2011, 15:03

My resources get drained as my armies increase in size. My enemies travel 3x further each turn in spite of my increased land movement perks. It seems to me that the AI cheats. The AI's favorite "trick" is to sit between your towns and reach the one you do not teleport to. Unfair movement is a ridiculous advantage. I would rate this as the worst Heroes game in the series and will be my last. As the game progresses, many bugs surface and the game bogs down (Rise to Power map). I have a 4 core i7 system w/ 1GB video RAM and 8 GB RAM on Vista Pro.
Edited on Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:04 by ttague2005

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 02 Nov 2011, 20:23

Now if I could only connect to Conflux for more than two minutes...
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 02 Nov 2011, 22:58

Wow, I was going to ask someone to buy me Heroes 6 for Christmas until I read these reviews. Even though I believe I have a perfectly reliable internet connection (Verizon Fios, and never had problems with Starcraft 2 and being online) the DRM and losing game play features really turn me off.

Also, did the guy who wrote this review for GamePro ever even play previous heroes games? I don't think so from this comment.
And they'll need it: players of the Heroes games have complained about the A.I. "cheating" over the years. In this case, it appears that every enemy stack gains units each week. This includes those units just hanging out on the map along with those in towns and fortifications
Did the guy never hear of hiring more units from your own town? As long as you pay the same price for those extra troops that's not cheating. And then monsters on the map gaining in numbers each week, it's been that way in like every single heroes game.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 02 Nov 2011, 23:17

Yeah, but just about everything else he says is exactly correct. Its a great game hiding underneath a poorly-implemented online infrastructure.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Re: GameSpy Reviews Heroes VI

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 03 Nov 2011, 01:38

CloudRiderX wrote:Yeah, but just about everything else he says is exactly correct. Its a great game hiding underneath a poorly-implemented online infrastructure.
Not having played Heroes 6 yet I'll agree that most of what he said did sound perfectly accurate about the heroes series.

Forcing you to be online for a game like Heroes of Might and Magic is really stupid though, it's not even a game that's usually met to be played online. Most of the fun is playing through the single player campaigns, and some of the single player custom maps.

I've played a few Heroes 3 maps on multi-player with my brother and it wasn't that great, simply because we human's take forever to make our turns most of the time. And this was us playing together as allies being able to witness all the battles we each got into.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 03 Nov 2011, 10:25

This online system prevents me from buying it too, is worst than a copy protection system which is more honest than this "gameplay affect" they use. Btw PcMaster(the bigest and best gaming magazine at Greece) reviewed it with 88%.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Nov 2011, 13:42

It shouldn't be so bad. According Irina you can play it offline too. Without Dynasty system of course.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ttague2005
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ttague2005 » 03 Nov 2011, 16:24

And without campaigns!!!

I will try this again.
Edited on Thu, Nov 03 2011, 16:36 by ttague2005

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 Nov 2011, 17:32

No, you can play the campaigns offline, because that's exactly what I have done.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 03 Nov 2011, 22:48

But whatabout the "bonuses" u have if you play them online? I read at reviews that some of the improvements of your heroes become only if you are online. That affects a lot the gameplay if is true
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 03 Nov 2011, 23:02

Only the dynasty weapons, and they are not essential for game progression.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 Nov 2011, 08:20

Also Dynasty Trails like: -1 blood crystal needed for building/upgrading creature dwelings or +150 faction points on the start of battle or +3/+2/+1 to creature growth.

There are nice bonuses for playing but not needed for game itself.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Nov 2011, 15:34

Kalah wrote:>>I almost wouldn't mind ... if it just ... worked properly.<<
Annoying legit customers while doing nothing to stop pirates? Sounds like it's working as intended to me...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Nov 2011, 12:34

Another thorough review here. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 Nov 2011, 12:55

Kalah wrote:Another thorough review here. :)
Ultimately, Might & Magic Heroes VI is a good game, but one buried underneath its own bugs and DRM. It’s a game that is worth buying eventually, but proves the idea that some games just shouldn’t be bought at launch.
From what I've read on the forum, this seems to sum up a lot.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Nov 2011, 15:38

Yes, although I also agree with his advice: to wait a while until the kinks are worked out, but buy it eventually since the potential is so high. Hopefully, when the editor is fixed, the game's replayability will also be higher.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “News”