Facebook Q&A

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Oct 2011, 00:08

A new Q&A was put out on <a href="/http://www.facebook.com/notes/might-mag ... acebook</a> recently. Here's a quick summary:

<b>No. 1: the challenge</b> - they wanted to get rid of micromanaging and focus on the "fun" bits: battles, exploring, building your empire, levelling up heroes etc. The +200 hero abilities are there to ensure the variety and depth of the gameplay.

<b>No. 2: the new skill system</b> - it is made to enhance the longevity of the game and to ensure variety. That's why it's so complex. The skills are also tuned to be more or less effective on different difficulty levels. Ability combos and strategies developed by the players are bound to take the game to new hights - at least that's what the designers are hoping for.

<b>No. 3: testing the game</b> - has proven the need for adjusting and fine-tuning. Particularly evident in healing and resurrection abilities, gating and necromancy, flaws and weaknesses have been ironed out in the beta. More fine-tuning will be done in the patches.

<b>No. 4: the town screens</b> - "must be revised". Their words, not mine. Not only is this one of the features the fans have cried loudest about, it seems that the devs themselves have now come to see that the current interface ... needs improving. Will not be done for the release (too late), but will be a top priority in the patching.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1317600498
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Facebook Q&A

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Oct 2011, 01:27

Kalah wrote:they wanted to get rid of micromanaging and focus on the "fun" bits:
Well, that shows that the developers don't think micromanaging is fun, but what about fans...
Kalah wrote:No. 2: the new skill system - it is made to enhance the longevity of the game and to ensure variety.
Until players dicover the best build. ;|
Kalah wrote:No. 4: the town screens - "must be revised". Their words, not mine. Not only is this one of the features the fans have cried loudest about, it seems that the devs themselves have now come to see that the current interface ... needs improving.
Nothing has ever made me want to kill more than this one.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 03 Oct 2011, 08:16

mr.hackcrag wrote: Well, that shows that the developers don't think micromanaging is fun, but what about fans...
Micromanagement IS curse, but they failed miserably at fighting it. Ignoring (not having) previous experience is an important factor too.
Until players dicover the best build. ;|
Yep. But they seem to think that there will be several best builds - per faction and per difficulty level.
Nothing has ever made me want to kill more than this one.
Thanks for warning. I'll try to keep away from Ubihole offices, just as precaution :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Shoaura
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Shoaura » 03 Oct 2011, 09:32

1) I don't recall H5 having any more micromanaging than H6 does, so how does this first comment fit? Yeah, sure, you don't have to go from town to town (or by caravan) to get your units anymore, but that was part of the difficulty and tactical nature of the battles and game.... which is what made it a little fun. Trying to figure out the best approach, or gathering as many as you can from the various towns to steamroll the other army.

2) As I and many others have mentioned: the skill system will only be complex until a couple individuals find the best one or two per difficulty, per might or magic build.

3) How is this relevant? Most companies do a beta test for the *sole purpose* of adjusting, fine-tuning, and the balance of abilities.

4) Ahh.... now we see that the devs have somewhat realized that the fans know what they are talking about. Too bad it happened only two weeks prior to the release.

I apologize, partially, for the flaming nature of this post, but I've already used up my tolerance of 'duh' moments with information from the devs.
Edited on Mon, Oct 03 2011, 05:34 by Shoaura

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Torur » 03 Oct 2011, 11:21

Well, better late than never. I still hope they can iron out the worst part of HVI and make it more enjoyable over time.

Let the patching begin!
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 03 Oct 2011, 14:45

Torur wrote:Let the patching begin!
No Torur, it's always sad news when companies release a game that they know is not finished or they intend to finish at a later date, but still expect you to pay full price for a game that may not ever get the proper treatment it needs.

That this behavior is becoming the norm makes me want to kill as much as the lack of a town screen. :flame:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Oct 2011, 14:47

Shoaura wrote:>>2) As I and many others have mentioned: the skill system will only be complex until a couple individuals find the best one or two per difficulty, per might or magic build.<<

Yeah, but you know what, screw competitive balance, i for one will play underpowered builds just fine against the AI...

My problem is that they made skills, abilities and spells the same thing... and thus all heroes have the same template, etc.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Ryder » 03 Oct 2011, 19:25

Can't believe there is no Mage Guild in a Heroes game. That defies logic.

Shoaura
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Shoaura » 04 Oct 2011, 00:21

>>Can't believe there is no Mage Guild in a Heroes game. That defies logic.

Just had an "Oh Sh**" moment. Never really thought about it until just now, and you are absolutely right, Ryder

>>My problem is that they made skills, abilities and spells the same thing... and thus all heroes have the same template, etc.

This is essentially what I was meaning to say, TT, but you obviously said it better.

Also, after re-reading the topic story, it strikes me that the semi-randomness of abilities that H5 presented provides for better "ability combos and strategies developed by the players" than the current open format of skills and abilities
Edited on Mon, Oct 03 2011, 20:26 by Shoaura

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Torur » 04 Oct 2011, 11:54

@mr.hackcrag

I fully agree with you. I really hate the fact that most games released today are half finished beta version and you won't have a full game till a year after release. That being said, I am hoping that with time this HoMM game will be a good one, and that's why I said "better late then never" and "Let the patching begin".

Sadly this is how being a gamer is today, hopeing that patches will give you the game you buy and don't get.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 Oct 2011, 13:05

Just wait until game will be released with all expansions and patches as Gold or GotY version and then buy it.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Oct 2011, 14:13

You can of course wait until after the reviews and fan feedback - and more importantly after fans have made more maps.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 04 Oct 2011, 14:58

Facebook B&S. ;|

Rife
Peasant
Peasant

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby Rife » 05 Oct 2011, 03:33

Regardless of what is or isn't done in the future, from what I played in the beta, the game is enjoyable. How long it remains so does depend on what steps are taken next, but for now they've earned my money (never you mind that I'd already paid for it). Now there's just the wait...
------
http://rifeprime.labrute.fr <-Wierd but fun french fighting game

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Facebook Q&A

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 06 Oct 2011, 00:50

Not having a mage guild is definitely a disadvantage compared to previous installments, but I'm confident the first patch after the game's release will be a significant one.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Return to “News”