Hardcore Might and Magic

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Hardcore Might and Magic

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Sep 2011, 12:33

If you'd care for an interesting read about the history of <i>Might and Magic</i>, Hardcore Gaming 101 published <a href="/http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/mighta ... .htm">this article</a> a while ago, taking the readers from Book I in 1986 to M&M VI twelve years later.

Even if you <i>don't</i> want an interesting read, you could have a look at the article, which is full of excellent pictures. I'm sure some of those will bring tears to your eyes and feelings of nostalgia to your heart ... if you ever played any of those games, that is. If you didn't, that stuff probably won't mean dick to you.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1316522005
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Hardcore Might and Magic

Unread postby XEL II » 20 Sep 2011, 19:21

There are a lot of mistakes in story summaries, but that's not really important for the article focused on gameplay aspect of the series and its release history. From this standpoint the article is very nice and well composed, not to mention great screenshots. Truly nostalgic indeed.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Hardcore Might and Magic

Unread postby krs » 20 Sep 2011, 19:36

Craig the Hack :)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Hardcore Might and Magic

Unread postby Ethric » 21 Sep 2011, 12:49

Not a bad article, but I have to snort derisively at this, about MM 6:

"There are also no arrows on the map to tell you where you need to go (as in the latest Elder Scrolls and Fallout games) either, making it difficult to find out exactly where you need to go."

Oh noes, how did anyone ever manage complete the game!? *derisive snort*

PS: hardcore? HAH! *scoff*
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Hardcore Might and Magic

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 22 Sep 2011, 13:36

Ethric wrote:Not a bad article, but I have to snort derisively at this, about MM 6:

"There are also no arrows on the map to tell you where you need to go (as in the latest Elder Scrolls and Fallout games) either, making it difficult to find out exactly where you need to go."

Oh noes, how did anyone ever manage complete the game!? *derisive snort*

PS: hardcore? HAH! *scoff*
I didn't listen to this, but if he actually said this then all I can say is "WTF?" The only games that should have an arrow pointing the direction are racing games (in case you spin out, you need to know which way the track goes)
In some JRPGs, they are nice to show where you entered a region from and where possible exits are.

Also, the M&M games are generally quite free-form, with lots of quests simultaneously going on. Arrows would be useless here.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Sep 2011, 13:51

I recall reading somewhere that arrows pointing to the goal are patented. Not that it stops people from using, them, though.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Sep 2011, 17:07

Such patents are often recognized only within USA Territory. So, outside world is free of them. Or can be, luckily. :)

Deviliously using double-click to confirm the post. :P
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 Sep 2011, 22:24

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:I didn't listen to this, but if he actually said this then all I can say is "WTF?"
(was it in audio? I only read it) No, I'm not making this up, that's a copy/paste quote. Thus the scoffing.
GreatEmerald wrote:I recall reading somewhere that arrows pointing to the goal are patented. Not that it stops people from using, them, though.
They try to patent anything these days. The trouble is when the various local laws\courts let them...

Patent infringement!

Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Return to “News”