Ubisoft Cancelled a M&M Project

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 19 Aug 2011, 23:53

Eurogamer has an <a href="/http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... nteresting article</a> about an "Oblivion-style RPG" which was in development at Ubisoft Shanghai two years ago. The information was found by a Twitter user on game designer <a href="/http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... gic">David Kristofer Fried's LinkedIn page</a>.

<i>"Game design and several story passes for unannounced Heroes of Might and Magic game, which began as an RTS and was changed to an Oblivion style RPG before being cancelled."</>

There goes, <i>maybe</i>, our last hope for Might and Magic X.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1313797995
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 20 Aug 2011, 02:18

Not necessarily a bad thing, since I find games developed in China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong to be mostly sub-par.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 20 Aug 2011, 02:42

I agree. Besides, Asian art has a strong enough influence on the new M&M games as it is.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 20 Aug 2011, 11:20

Thank god it was cancelled. Oblivion is one of the most dull, repetitive piles of crap I have ever seen.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 20 Aug 2011, 12:08

Since it was going to be an RTS originally, I doubt it would have come anywhere near a M&M RPG. The genres are simply too far apart to translate well.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 20 Aug 2011, 12:12

https://www.celestialheavens.com/781

Our M&MX story is planned to be canon to MM9 and HOMM4 vanilla from the information we've gathered. If Ubisoft did develop a "MMX" it would probably either be a brand new story occurring on Ashan, or a game full of retcons. Too bad, because Ubisoft could have continued the "old" series if they wanted to!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Aug 2011, 15:52

I'm not sure it means the end of M&M X ... Yes, it could have been in development, but how far did they actually get on it? Also, the reason could be as simple as timing; wanting to spend time on other games instead and putting the M&M X on ice. This is if we're even talking about what would have been M&M X.

Ubi have built up the franchise again and expanded to different consoles as well as using firrent game genres; it could very well be seen as a logical conclusion that they need to do another M&M - even if they have already started and cancelled one development process.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 20 Aug 2011, 16:16

Oblivion is quite good i think. There's some crap to it but other parts of it are brilliant. It's virtually the closest thing to what Might and Magic games would be like if they were made today.

Glad they didn't go through with these games. Basically if Ubisoft brings out a Might and Magic franchise game, they need to support it 100% to make it work correctly. It's hard to imagine Ubisoft creating a genuinely great RPG or RTS, it simply requites a lot of work to create a good game.

Good to see that they are constantly thinking about the franchise though. Much better to have this than to have it stop at Heroes 4 and MM9.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 20 Aug 2011, 17:01

Oblivion can be quite good if the right mods are installed.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 20 Aug 2011, 17:39

There's always the distinct possibility that they took a page out of Blizzard's book - scrapped it after deciding it wasn't true to the series or up to quality standards.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 20 Aug 2011, 20:25

Considering it was Ubi China branch, it's not nescesary bad thing,(considering they made worst parts if splinter cell ), even though I would be interested in RPG.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 20 Aug 2011, 23:39

I agree with the rest, would love to see a MnM X but not
by Ubi(disapointed so far by how handles the MnM titles).
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Aug 2011, 23:58

Sort of illogical to say this is our last hope going out the window. Faltering projects are cancelled all the time. The Might and Magic Online concept originated at NWC in 1995 and wasn't seriously looked at again until ten years later with Ubi in 2006. It's just a matter of time and tenacity, but I'm absolutely certain an official RPG will happen as long as interest endures for long enough.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 21 Aug 2011, 00:40

Wasn't Dark Messiah RPG-like?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 21 Aug 2011, 01:23

Dark Messiah didn't have much role-playing besides some basic skill-based character development.

Sorry to be pessimistic about this story, it's just that as an Ultima fan I've had my hopes crushed twice by EA with UO2 and UXO.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Aug 2011, 08:47

Corlagon wrote:The Might and Magic Online concept originated at NWC in 1995 and wasn't seriously looked at again until ten years later with Ubi in 2006.
Wait, wouldn't that be eleven years?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 21 Aug 2011, 10:17

Actually, JVC looked at Might and Magic Online very seriously (this was one of those plans he wanted to realise most), but had never got a chance to develop it (mostly because of 3DO), and then 3DO collapsed, dragging NWC along with it.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Aug 2011, 11:16

According to this interview with newly-promoted EA Labels president Frank Gibeau at CVG.com, EA are looking to breathe life into some old classics like the "Strike" series. Personally, I loved "Desert Strike", but more importantly, this is a trend that has spread through other companies before reaching EA. Gibeau stressed that he's talking about more than updating old classics with up-to-date tech, essentially the same strategy used by Ubisoft: trying to bring back the sprit of Heroes III but not simply update it.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 21 Aug 2011, 11:59

Kalah wrote:essentially the same strategy used by Ubisoft: trying to bring back the sprit of Heroes III but not simply update it.
Can't say they succeeded.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 21 Aug 2011, 12:13

I can only imagine what it would've been like if JVC managed to make a M&M MMO back in the late 90's - it would have put them leagues ahead of the gaming industry.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Return to “News”