Heroes VI Post-Poned Again

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Heroes VI Post-Poned Again

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Aug 2011, 01:08

Kalah wrote:This could actually be quite a good game. :)
"Or a greater letdown." (Dolorous Edd)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 08 Aug 2011, 02:35

Do we have any word on a random map generator?

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 08 Aug 2011, 06:56

@GreatEmerald:

Sure. Every major multinational company enjoys paying a few more wages to their employees if they're not feeling up to working so much.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes VI Post-Poned Again

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Aug 2011, 20:16

zarakand wrote:>>>Do we have any word on a random map generator?
9. Will there be a random map generator? And simultaneous turns.

Unfortunately, not at release.
About the RMG, it would be a great thing to have in the future, but it’s also very complex to create such a tool, since the randomly generated maps need to be: mostly bug-free, reasonably balanced, and look nice. It’s easier said than done, especially with 3D graphics.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 09 Aug 2011, 11:18

I don't mind the lack of a random map generator, since there seems to be a map editor in the game (some screenshot showed it). That'll allow the community to make really good looking maps with great atmosphere.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Aug 2011, 11:37

HodgePodge wrote:Another factor is going to be if it's required of players to have an online connection to Ubisoft (or anyone else) to play the game. This is totally unacceptable to me. :nervous:
Every time I hear this argument, I feel you guys are looking for off-topic flaws, just for the sake of. Why is important if game has DRM or other requirements? What is important is its quality, because it is clear that any of you have a pretty good internet connection, seeing the number of posts done already. :D

On the other side, I feel sad for the zillions of "fans" unable to play their pirated version. Or not so sad, after all.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Aug 2011, 14:56

I got a 25% off coupon from Ubi for my birthday. I wonder if it could be used for Heroes VI. In my experience, those coupons always include some exception that makes them useless.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Aug 2011, 15:27

Salamandre wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:Another factor is going to be if it's required of players to have an online connection to Ubisoft (or anyone else) to play the game. This is totally unacceptable to me. :nervous:
Every time I hear this argument, I feel you guys are looking for off-topic flaws, just for the sake of. Why is important if game has DRM or other requirements? What is important is its quality, because it is clear that any of you have a pretty good internet connection, seeing the number of posts done already. :D

On the other side, I feel sad for the zillions of "fans" unable to play their pirated version. Or not so sad, after all.
Wake up, her concern is about requiring an online connection, it is ridiculous for a company to require an online connection to play a game such as Heroes. Besides the fact it is an unecessary intrusion. Heroes itself as far as I remember have had some type of copy protection, and that has not prevented people from buying it. I know in the US and I believe most other countries as well, we have the right to make an archival copy of any software we purchase. There are still fans out there that don’t have a connection or are still restricted to dialup. Why would anyone want to create a map that can't be played by fans without a decent connection? I don't have any sympathy for pirates and your backhanded attempt at humor was pretty weak. Fortunately UBI reps have stated more than once an online connection will not be required except perhaps for the initial installation and registration.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 09 Aug 2011, 15:36

Maybe it is time for others to wake up. World change, business change, the concept of copyright changed as well. If a company choose to restrict fans access and potentially lose money at first sight, it surely has a good reason. I don't care, as long as the game is quality and backed up with patches and fixes.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Aug 2011, 15:40

jeff wrote: There are still fans out there that don’t have a connection or are still restricted to dialup.
Yup, me, one. I buy the games, but first I must know they'll actually work at my PC. If internet connection is required, I'm out. People have already stated important arguments regarding why internet connection shouldn't be required to play - which seems the way Diablo 3 will be, unfortunately. In my point of view, they are lacking original means to protect their games, so they are taking Internet for another protection to their interests, just to push hackers even further into their skills (and even less to our own protection - who the hell will know what they might as well access from their own servers?). When internet connection starts becoming even less secure that it already is, I wonder what they'll start making people do to play their games. Sending in photos with our fingerprint and a bit of saliva?
Fortunately UBI reps have stated more that an online connection will not be required except perhaps for the initial installation and registration.
Which is still a pain. I'll just have to drag my PC somewhere to install it and carry back home. There should be something like an internet pack we could download, take home and start installation from there. It'd be less messy.
Salamandre wrote:If a company choose to restrict fans access and potentially lose money at first sight, it surely has a good reason.
Not always a good reason. What they seem to be doing is trying to do a Government job over people: get them online all the time, internet at home. It's more like educational program than entertainment.

If companies do that to their games, they'll just lose clients. There's not a good reason at all. What to expect from a company that takes charge from a game such as Heroes, that has millions of fans, always had no online requirements to play, and then, out of spite, it suffer the players into their own protection policy? It's not the honest consumers responsibility to answer for a company protection flaws.

World is changing yes, but it won't happen all of a sudden and the point of entertainment is, as I still think, have fun whenever you can, wherever you can. If that concept changed to whenever a company wants you to, then the world is going the wrong way.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Aug 2011, 16:44

Panda Tar wrote:
jeff wrote: There are still fans out there that don’t have a connection or are still restricted to dialup.
… When internet connection starts becoming even less secure that it already is, I wonder what they'll start making people do to play their games. Sending in photos with our fingerprint and a bit of saliva?

… World is changing yes, but it won't happen all of a sudden and the point of entertainment is, as I still think, have fun whenever you can, wherever you can. If that concept changed to whenever a company wants you to, then the world is going the wrong way.
I agree Panda. A changing world doesn't give a company the right to intrude in the private interests of (or spy on) customers. Not that I have anything to hide; but still, it's the principle of the thing. :sceptic:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Riley_Forsythe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Riley_Forsythe » 09 Aug 2011, 16:51

I really hope they adjust the damage charts.

Guys, i'm not familiar with steam. I was wondering, if I buy the physical edition of the game in a store, do i still have to install Steam in my computer in order to play the game? 'cuz i would hate that.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Aug 2011, 17:29

Perhaps.

I bought Shogun 2 that must have this Steam, but given I have no internet connection, I'm still mulling on the day I'll take my pc online for that matter. I'll still swim in the depths of this Steam as well.

I just hope online requirements go just as far as installation.

Riley_Forsythe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Riley_Forsythe » 09 Aug 2011, 17:52

Ok, now i'm pretty sure we'll require Steam for Homm too, my friend had to install it when he bought New Vegas... I kinda dislike Steam because it has it's own community, and the achievements you get ingame are only listened in your Steam profile. Anyway, ubisoft just opened the Conflux section in homm VI official site and it seems that in Homm VI the achievements are listed ingame because of dynasty points... and so is the community which can be easily joined while playing.

I found the beta version of this game to be seriously disappointing, but by now the developers surely did a good job with online features. Let's just hope they fix damage charts, camera rotation and a thousand more things, now.

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 09 Aug 2011, 18:11

It's a shame that there will be no RMG. I've never played the campaign mode in any of the Heroes game. I've always enjoyed the random maps and fights that come from that style of play.

How hard can it be to create? Games like Civilization are able to do it easily.

Riley_Forsythe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Riley_Forsythe » 09 Aug 2011, 18:27

Even Heroes V featured no rmg when released, ppl had to wait for a patch.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 4861089439

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 11 Aug 2011, 17:54

I remember that, and I also remember being greatly disappointed by HOMM V due the lack of an RMG at launch and very slow AI turns.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Aug 2011, 21:45

I wonder why people insist that there should be an RMG included upon release; is it because this was normal before and players feel that there has been a standard set?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 11 Aug 2011, 23:09

It's hardly a standard - not a single one of the Heroes games has had an RMG at release.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Aug 2011, 23:37

Then I guess "people" should shut up. :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “News”