The Current State of Things

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
jeff

Unread postby jeff » 31 Jul 2011, 20:07

Corlagon wrote: As for the campaign function I still agree that it's a must, ...... I offer no promises, aside from my assurance that I will keep poking at them to add the campaign function in a patch as early as possible.
That is all one can hope for at this time. I wish you luck. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 Jul 2011, 21:45

Kalah wrote:There will be an editor - we know that from statements and released pictures.
Epic Games stated and released pictures of Unreal Tournament 3 running on Linux. See how that went out.

Toejam
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Toejam » 31 Jul 2011, 23:17

Verry excited about the game, but from what i'm reading here there might not be a physical realese of the gamein most country's ? although being a heroes fan from the first hour i refuse to pay for a download...
Keep your friends close... And your enemy's closer !

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 01 Aug 2011, 02:25

I have not ordered the game yet and thus have not played the beta. Some of the changes concern me. Such as no randomness in skills or spells. I play mostly single player games or coop/friendly competition games so I don't care if I might lose on occasion due to not getting the exact skills/spells I want. With no randomization of skills&spells I don't think the game will have a very long life with me unfortunately.

Edit: Oh, it takes quite some time to make a quality map so need to make every effort to have the map editor ready on release of the game.

I'll be interested in seeing what sort of map editor they have implemented.

This is the only HOMM game I've ever held off on buying. I'll probably go ahead and preorder it some time before release but I'm still reading comments from folks who've played the beta before I truly decide.
Edited on Sun, Jul 31 2011, 22:27 by Grumpy Old Wizard
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 01 Aug 2011, 12:44

I can't believe there hasn't been a single comment regarding the state of the AI - or maybe I've missed it? From my perspective this is the shadow that weighs heaviest on the game by far if we consider its two less-than-illustrious (in this regard) predecessors. So c'mon beta users, how did you find the adventure map AI...?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Aug 2011, 13:21

Mediocre.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 01 Aug 2011, 14:19

I'd say just about anything is an improvement over H5's AI, so my standards are pretty low.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Ya5MieL
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Ya5MieL » 01 Aug 2011, 14:37

Well in regards to AI:

Plus - Adventure map AI turns seems to be faster. Rarely you see a turn that lasts too long to get annoying.

Minus - Combat AI seems to be way worse than in H5. Melee creatures will always charge full distance, never just enough to position themselves for next turn. As it stands it doesn't seem AI recognizes danger well.

So overall it seems it is faster, yet weaker AI compared to H5. But i guess there is a chance it will be improved by the release date. I hope the AI guys at Black Hole are earning their paychecks.

Rife
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Rife » 01 Aug 2011, 15:42

AI seemed alright to me... on adventure map Heroes chained creatures, seemed to capture structures appropriately and creep without noticeable cheating. They built armies and attacked in reasonable timeframes, and were sufficiently aggressive. All my testing was done on Normal difficulty.

Combat AI was good as well, though it's kind of hard to mess this up. Heroes used skills and spells appropriately... it seemed to me AI relies more on overpowering armies than tactics but that's nothing new, it'd be surprising if it were otherwise.
------
http://rifeprime.labrute.fr <-Wierd but fun french fighting game

Raelag84
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Raelag84 » 02 Aug 2011, 00:56

I have not played the Beta but I can say the graphics are impressive though I would have galdy have seen graphics sacrificed to have another faction.

It seems HOMM6 allows you to custimize your hero in ways other HOMM games would not which could be fun. It would have been nice if the fighting style of the factions could varied but I can tell effort was made in that direction.

The story I could take or leave.

Naga faction could be better.

This is still tenitive but I guess I would purchase this game for 50 American dollars, but no more than that. I have not preordred the game yet.

ananda
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ananda » 03 Aug 2011, 17:00

After playing Heroes V almost every day since it was released, I was expecting really great things from HOMM 6. I have to say, though, that I am disappointed ith the Beta so far. The graphics are of a high quality, but I miss the 3-D rotation of HOMM V and the ability to look at battles from several angles. The game has a more linear feel than HOMM V I thought. My wish for the HOMM series was a refining of the existing game: better AI, less demanding graphics on large maps, the adding of spells and other fun elements to complement the heros abilities. That, along with good stories and less idiotic juvenile male dialog in the cut scenes, would have been the perfect sequel to Heroes V. The designers decided to depart a bit (I think) from the direction the game WAS headed in. I'm sure that much is yet to be added at this stage of development. The reason I felt drawn back into playing Heroes V daily since its release was because of the way the strategy worked to help you win on harder levels, it was compelling fun. I'm having a hard time getting into the beta for some reason. Here's hoping the developers have it pulled together in time for the release. Perhaps allowing more of the old rules as a player option would help.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Sep 2011, 17:48

You can still move the camera with Ctrl or Shift (i forget), but sometimes it doesn't work, which is a bug.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”