Celebrating 25 Years of Might and Magic

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 05 Jul 2011, 00:19

@Ryder:

The thing is, if someone tells you to choose the two best games in the series, you'd probably pick V and VI. If someone wanted to pick the milestones, these would be I and VI; the first because it was the starter and the sixth because of, well... several reasons:

1. it was the biggest success in the series

2. it rebooted the series without actually rebooting it

3. it was without doubt the best in terms of gameplay, depth and size

4. it resurrected the whole CRPG genre which was kind of dead (it and Daggerfall, to be honest but the latter was swamped with bugs, totally unlike MM6 which was almost bug-free)

5. it revolutionised both the series and the whole CRPG genre (which, at the time, could not produce a single non bug-riddled game)

6. it radically renovated gameplay, feel and style, while staying true to the series, which is a feat of colossal proportions in the gaming industry.

So, sure MMII and III were really good titles, but they don't compare to what was VI for the whole CRPG history. This is what I call a milestone.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 05 Jul 2011, 03:16

Fair enough, fair argument. I'm close to a milestone on MM2, almost notched up my 100th play through. :D

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Might and Magic

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 Jul 2011, 17:27

CloudRiderX wrote:Thank god they didn't include Quest for the Dragonbone Staff for the PS2. THAT was a terrible game.
Wasn't that just a re-named King's Bounty?
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jul 2011, 17:42

Re-made King's Bounty. The storyline is basically the remake of KB's, but all the names of characters and geographical locations are changed, and there is the Dragonbone Staff instead of King's Scepter. So, basically this game has nothing to with Might and Magic lore-wise, except for the brand name in the title. Same with Might and Magic Mobile.

Crusaders, Warriors and Shifters are, in fact, highly underrated. These games are surely no masterpieces, but they have fairly good (except for the Gameboy Color port of Warriors) gameplay and story, even though they weren't developed by NWC. The plot incorporates traditional elements of the series, like the Ancients, in Warriors and Shifters (SPOILERS) the main protagonist and antagonist are even children of an Ancient. The novel Might and Magic: The Sea of Mist is tied to the Ardon series, taking place about twenty years after Warriors, before Shifters.

MM8 was also a bit too much underrated by the critics to me. Even considering all its shortcoming compared to previous installment, this game had great story and good gameplay. It was a little too short, however.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 18 Jul 2011, 17:49

Might & Magic 8 was lightyears ahead of other games in employing widescreen ;3 *giggle*

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jul 2011, 18:07

A game doesn't necessarily need to be lightyears ahead of others to be good :)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 18 Jul 2011, 19:46

XEL II wrote:A game doesn't necessarily need to be lightyears ahead of others to be good :)
It was a joke ^^;

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Jul 2011, 19:47

Jokes don't work on XEL, he has Expert Resistance. :devious:

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jul 2011, 20:22

Corlagon wrote:Jokes don't work on XEL, he has Expert Resistance. :devious:
Not exactly, wiseass :D Hadn't I understand the joke, I wouldn't know that hatsforclowns actually means the opposite from what he posted ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Jul 2011, 21:32

Corlagon wrote:Jokes don't work on XEL, he has Expert Resistance. :devious:
Grandmaster. :devil:

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jul 2011, 23:00

Seeing how Corlagon is joking around, I guess LotA book 3 and 4 are already completed and waiting for release, so he doesn't have anything better to do :hoo:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Jul 2011, 18:36

He's just keeping them back to mess with you...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”