Celebrating 25 Years of Might and Magic

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 02 Jul 2011, 07:29

Do you still remember Alamar, Lord Xeen, the „solid” walls or venturing in the wild in Might and Magic VI? There’s a brand new fantastic video dedicated for the Might and Magic 25 years anniversary which brings up a lot of great memories of the past. A must-see for every Might and Magic fan out there and don't miss the very end of the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oX84pVHaCU

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1309591756

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 02 Jul 2011, 08:03

I do quite like that video. Brings back some cracking memories, especially of MM2-MM7 and the Heroes games in between.

What a great time it was to be a Might and Magic fan.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 02 Jul 2011, 09:25

The ending seconds hide a message; the new goblin kills the old, implying that the old universe is dead forever.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Might and Magic

Unread postby XEL II » 02 Jul 2011, 09:31

hellegennes wrote:The ending seconds hide a message; the new goblin kills the old, implying that the old universe is dead forever.
UbiHole can rot in hell, then.

However, I doubt they'd bother to put some hidden meanings into a short comedic animation.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Jul 2011, 10:37

Excellent! :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 02 Jul 2011, 11:51

They didn't do it, but this was an excellent (and thus a wasted) chance to hint at the next M&M project. They could have put a small image on the horizon of their "fly-by" titled "Might and Magic X" or whatever is next in the works.

Nice video, though.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2011, 12:42

Problem is it's way too early to start marketing any new project...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Jul 2011, 16:04

Haa, they use the EGA rendering in MM1, as opposed to the default VGA! Too bad MM2 was a console version, though.

Also, good job showing how big of an art direction change was MMH5 and later :P Especially with Clash it was ridiculously jarring. And then you can also see how the art direction changed between NWC and 3DO times, too.
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:They didn't do it, but this was an excellent (and thus a wasted) chance to hint at the next M&M project. They could have put a small image on the horizon of their "fly-by" titled "Might and Magic X" or whatever is next in the works.
You're thinking about (Might and Magic) Raiders.

blakflag
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blakflag » 02 Jul 2011, 16:22

I played the hell out of MM1, that first game was a total mindblower for me at the time. I've played many of the M&M RPG's as well as the Heroes games since then. Thanks M&M!!!

I also remember it was my first foray into "cheats".. The save file was very rudimentary and I could edit the skill and weapon slots with a hex editor.. Hello +30 halberd of Doooom!
Edited on Sat, Jul 02 2011, 12:28 by blakflag

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Jul 2011, 17:26

Heh, indeed, I hex edited out an eradication state from one of the party members myself.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 02 Jul 2011, 20:01

They skipped over the Heroes IV gameplay. Haters be hatin'.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 Jul 2011, 20:24

No they didn't.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2011, 20:44

Pretty sure there was a battle field scene from H4 in there...
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 03 Jul 2011, 00:37

@CloudRiderX:

It was only brief, but it's after MMIX. H2 mention is also brief, as well as only showing the box artwork for the rest of MM games after VI.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 03 Jul 2011, 00:47

Oh, I missed it the first time through; however, it wasn't given even close to the same attention as Heroes 1-3 was, which is exactly why I missed it.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2011, 01:03

Yeah, i re-watched the video, and they did snub H4 and the later M&M's, even f they showed some H4 stuff.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 03 Jul 2011, 02:40

Okay, I've done the geeky thing and counted seconds for each sequence. So from NWC's Heroes, the first one gets the most attention, followed by 3, 2 and 4. MMI and VI have the most screen time from the CRPG series. Of course, HeroesV and VI get the most attention overall (both have a screen time of about 20 seconds). Clash of Heroes and Heroes1 get each about 13 seconds, H3, Kingdoms and DM get about 10 seconds each. The rest get 1-6 seconds.

There is a logic in all of these. They showcase better the most successful or the ones that were milestones. And of course they give more attention to recent ones; this only makes sense.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 03 Jul 2011, 05:24

It hardly makes sense. It is beyond me why would they not consider MM 3-4 milestones and successful, considering how they differ and from the first two installments and revolutanize many aspect of the series. MM VIII was also successful.

I think they were showcasing the most recent games of he franchise.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 03 Jul 2011, 08:33

"I think they were showcasing the most recent games of he franchise"

After detailing the durations of each sequence, how can you say that?

How were MM3-4 milestones in the series? They didn't radically refresh the product the way MMVI had nor were there the first of the series. That's why only MMI and VI get any more attention. Same goes for Heroes. H1 and 3 have more lengthy mentions because they were the first and the popular/most successful, respectively. Devoting more time to Ubi games makes sense because they are in recent memory. Besides V and VI, Heroes1 gets the most screen time. Also remember that this is basically a commercial for HVI, which of course is more close to HV than anything else.
Edited on Sun, Jul 03 2011, 04:34 by hellegennes

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Celebrating 25 Years of Might and Magic

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2011, 11:12

hellegennes wrote:>>Okay, I've done the geeky thing and counted seconds for each sequence. <<
Except that for H4 they didn't even have it full screen, and that's also to be take into account...

But since they did the same to the later M&M games i'm guessing it was just a time thing, with the ones at the start of the video taking more time and then at the middle they rushed through it so they can get to their games...

Return to “News”