Video: Music & Sound Making Of

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Darkström
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkström » 24 May 2011, 11:27

Now I must constrain myself not to answer this thread, because that would be like a bottomless pit.

I'm a student of linguistics btw.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 May 2011, 11:40

No, nothing must escape... my event horizon is so close, just step in Darkström, you know you want to...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 May 2011, 05:02

So, you actually believe that adopted words sound different because of mispronunciation? If we take Greek as an example of its use in science and arts, that would be completely ridiculous granted that the people who "imported" these words DID know Greek. For instance, diabetes is not pronounced this way because doctors mispronounced the original word; this is adoption. Different languages have different phonetic systems and different morphologies. Even if someone wanted to transcribe "diabetes" so it would match the Greek pronunciation, he would have to resort to ridiculous forms like "Theeavitis". Not only is this form ugly and difficult to memorise, but it also leads way off its etymology.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 May 2011, 06:15

Ah, but see, the guy making them up isn't really in charge of how the majority would pronounce it, and what you're talking about is simply someone being smart enough to know that and deciding to cut out the middle part and just go with something that sounds appropriate in that language.

And of course there are those that simply like modifying words (i believe they're called writers and whatever you call people who's job is to scientifically name new animals - faux latin ftw).

And i was kinda talking about words that are spelled the same mostly (like Anastasia).
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 May 2011, 07:07

Spelt the same or not, it's still a matter of phonetics. For example, Anastasia sounds like Anasteyzia because of the position of letters. The second "s" will always be pronounced "z" in this succession. Also, languages do not have the same phonemes. I.e. English lacks the sound of French "r", Italian lacks the sound of English "ŋ" ("ng" as in "sung"). Hence there's one more reason why pronunciation of the same words is different in different languages. It certainly is not a mispronunciation trait. Also, this whole debate is pointless since we are talking about a wrong pronunciation in the same language (talking about the video). The pronunciation of an English word will never change because someone (foreigner or not) said it wrong. Phonetics do change but not word by word and it happens for completely different reasons.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 May 2011, 10:37

I so much hope, that there will be possibility to switch off all game effects. The video is great, though I see that they are still mixing pre-prepared promo material and live interview/shows.

Good job, nonethless! :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Video: Music & Sound Making Of

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jun 2011, 16:15

hellegennes wrote: Hence there's one more reason why pronunciation of the same words is different in different languages. It certainly is not a mispronunciation trait.

Speaking came before writing... so when you're interpreting a word through your own language from writing you are not actually using the same word at all... thus you're saying it wrong.

Saying things wrong is the whole basis for the evolution of languages anyway... or we'd still be speaking whatever the basis for the indo-european language family was...

junnexgolem
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby junnexgolem » 02 Jun 2011, 16:37

every word a "god" of might and magic says is the correct pronunciation. (so long as the other gods agreed to show it to us mere mortals). and when i say god, i meant whoever has the authority to declare a thing as true in the m&m world(s). they could describe a pig and name it as "asdf" and pronounce it as "qwerty". bottom line -we wait for the gods' comment in this matter(if they haven't already). it's fiction after all.. ü

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jun 2011, 23:37

Well it's not just about how it works in a fictional universe...

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 Jun 2011, 20:10

I'm pleased to see Ubi is not repeating many of the mistakes they did with H5. This is a way better marketing approach. And the game itself is more promising. Pity I don't have the time I had 5 years ago to enjoy a product which they seem to have gotten right this time.
'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' - Albert Einstein

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind' - same guy

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Re: Video: Music & Sound Making Of

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 21 Jun 2011, 22:43

Zamolxis wrote:Pity I don't have the time I had 5 years ago to enjoy a product which they seem to have gotten right this time.
But you do have time to enjoy a product which some other company got right back in 1999 - Heroes III. ;)
(I'm one of the lurkers of the VCMI project, hehee)
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Return to “News”