Dev Q&A - Town Screen Released

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: Dev Q&A - Town Screen Released

Unread postby Dalai » 28 Apr 2011, 15:37

Marzhin wrote:@Dalai: as far as I know the AI in GalCiv2, while certainly better than most games out there, still cheats a lot - for instance it can see the whole universe (huge advantage to find good planets).
While I failed to find either confirmation or denial to this fact in 15 minutes I devoted to it (just "According to Stardock, the AI in the game doesn't cheat, it plays the same game the player does" from Gamespy), I just think that letting AI in HoMM (sorry, MM:H) see the whole map would be OK for most players. Especially taking into account that players will, in most cases, know the map very well, and you'll use the most basic fog of war (correct?).

The problem with cheats is they do not help AI to make intelligent decisions, and even to look like it makes intelligent decisions. Pumping up resources, money and army doesn't help to alleviate this problem, it just helps player get more experience and advance heroes faster. Which, in turn, makes things even worse.

As a side note, we were asked about letting AI see the whole map in HoMM-IV many times in hope that it improves it's ability to make good decisions.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

zarakand
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarakand » 28 Apr 2011, 18:12

So no simultaneous turns either? Sigh....

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 29 Apr 2011, 00:52

I really like that new style of art. Looks coo

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Dev Q&A - Town Screen Released

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Apr 2011, 11:24

Marzhin wrote:@Dalai: as far as I know the AI in GalCiv2, while certainly better than most games out there, still cheats a lot - for instance it can see the whole universe (huge advantage to find good planets).
Actually making an AI that can make good decisions without having enough data would probably win someone a prestigious award, if not more then one...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 29 Apr 2011, 18:36

Sheesh, I foolishly thought simultaneous turns were in for sure at this point. Age of Wonders 2, Disciples 2, those games are almost a decade old and supported simultaneous play out of the box. A HUGE bummer, this. :-(

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2011, 08:12

Well there needs to be something to sell the expansion with, don't it...

Although i'd take 2 new factions per exp and the features we came to expect to be in from the get-go, 10x.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”